Active Grill Shutter "Partial Removal" Temperatures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theclassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all. I am well aware that this information is already on other threads. After reading them the few threads that had some good info I decided to post my findings here and what I did. I figured the more places the info can be found the better.

The truck
New 2021 Ram 1500 Classic, 5.7l, automatic, crew cab, 4x4 and 3.21 gears. Completely stock truck.

The test
The test was strictly a 30 mile hwy run that was mostly up hill, climbed in elevation from 2500' to 5000'. I tracked all temps and took notes on frequency of temp fluctuations. The outside temperature was 55-57 degrees F. The test was done on two separate days in order to check the warm up time. The truck was stone cold when I started each test. Speed limit was 55mpg. Normal driving. All temperatures are in degrees F.

Shutters in place
Warm up time approximately 7-8 minuets "Coolant temp at 200"
Max temp fluctuation of coolant 195-221.
Fluctuations - about every 3-5 minutes
Consistant coolant temperature 213.
Transmission max temp 194.
Oil max temp 221

Shutters Removed
Warm up time approximately 7-8 minuets "Coolant temp at 200" (no noticeable difference)
Max temp fluctuation of coolant 195-206. (-15 cooler) I never saw above 206
Fluctuations - the temperature would really only fluctuate depending on if I was going up or down a hill. It fluctuated WAY less.
Consistant coolant temperature 204. (-9 cooler)
Transmission max temp 192. (-2 Cooler) no significant difference.
Oil max temp 217 (-4 cooler)

Shutter Removal Method
I removed all shutters but the top and bottom row. It took about 20 minutes. I never unplugged any wiring and confirmed shutter operation before and after. NO check engine light (CEL/MIL) There are a few videos on YouTube on how to do this. I followed the video below. The only difference is the shutters come out much easier if you remove them from the center out. Not from the outside in. If that makes any since..... And its free. For any reason the shutters can be very easily put back in.

Conclusion
The engine coolant temperature absolutely runs cooler and is significantly more consistent. All other temps are pretty close to the same. Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can remove just a few of the upper shutters (except the top one) and get similar results while still getting some of the benefits of the rest of the shutters - mainly in very cold winter air.
I see coolant temps of 199-206 with it usually pretty steady at the thermostat setting of 203 degrees.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Isn't the main reason for the shutters to make the airstream pass more smoothly over & around the Ram
With the possible advantage of getting a bit better MPG

OP
OP
T

theclassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Isn't the main reason for the shutters to make the airstream pass more smoothly over & around the Ram
With the possible advantage of getting a bit better MPG
Thats what I have heard, but I am not sure what the reasoning was. I removed strictly for temperature "control" and consistency.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Yes, that could be an issue, especially during warmer weather
If the shutters don't open at the perfect time, the temperature of the coolant could rise.

Just like forgetting that you have not removed a grille bra when it warms up
Semi trucks have had Active Grille Shutters for years

M2596195.jpg

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What happens if you take the entire grill off, maybe the hood?

How about if the engine fan is constantly running?

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
and thanks theclassic
very good info!

Hello all. I am well aware that this information is already on other threads. After reading them the few threads that had some good info I decided to post my findings here and what I did. I figured the more places the info can be found the better.

The truck
New 2021 Ram 1500 Classic, 5.7l, automatic, crew cab, 4x4 and 3.21 gears. Completely stock truck.

The test
The test was strictly a 30 mile hwy run that was mostly up hill, climbed in elevation from 2500' to 5000'. I tracked all temps and took notes on frequency of temp fluctuations. The outside temperature was 55-57 degrees F. The test was done on two separate days in order to check the warm up time. The truck was stone cold when I started each test. Speed limit was 55mpg. Normal driving. All temperatures are in degrees F.

Shutters in place
Warm up time approximately 7-8 minuets "Coolant temp at 200"
Max temp fluctuation of coolant 195-221.
Fluctuations - about every 3-5 minutes
Consistant coolant temperature 213.
Transmission max temp 194.
Oil max temp 221

Shutters Removed
Warm up time approximately 7-8 minuets "Coolant temp at 200" (no noticeable difference)
Max temp fluctuation of coolant 195-206. (-15 cooler) I never saw above 206
Fluctuations - the temperature would really only fluctuate depending on if I was going up or down a hill. It fluctuated WAY less.
Consistant coolant temperature 204. (-9 cooler)
Transmission max temp 192. (-2 Cooler) no significant difference.
Oil max temp 217 (-4 cooler)

Shutter Removal Method
I removed all shutters but the top and bottom row. It took about 20 minutes. I never unplugged any wiring and confirmed shutter operation before and after. NO check engine light (CEL/MIL) There are a few videos on YouTube on how to do this. I followed the video below. The only difference is the shutters come out much easier if you remove them from the center out. Not from the outside in. If that makes any since..... And its free. For any reason the shutters can be very easily put back in.

Conclusion
The engine coolant temperature absolutely runs cooler and is significantly more consistent. All other temps are pretty close to the same. Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers

Thanks.....very good info

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have posted on this before, and in my case I was always talking about overheating (say pulling a trailer up a steep grade in the summer). When your truck reaches a certain temperature the shutters will remain open, so physically removing them won't make the truck run cooler if before it was overheating in that scenario.

I honestly don't care about the temps my truck normally runs, I'm only concerned about those times the temps start creeping up when it's working hard, and at those temps the shutters are wide open and the fan is on.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have posted on this before, and in my case I was always talking about overheating (say pulling a trailer up a steep grade in the summer). When your truck reaches a certain temperature the shutters will remain open, so physically removing them won't make the truck run cooler if before it was overheating in that scenario.

I honestly don't care about the temps my truck normally runs, I'm only concerned about those times the temps start creeping up when it's working hard, and at those temps the shutters are wide open and the fan is on.
Question is"why do some 8 speed 1500's have them,and some don't". My neighbour just bought a new 2021 Warlock with the 8 speed on Friday,and it doesn't have the shutters.That's 2 new 8 speed 1500's i've looked at lately that don't have the shutters.Both are Alberta trucks,there must be a reason they aren't equipped with the shutter assembly.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
that does make for some thought

Could it be that they have some kind of special package ?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Question is"why do some 8 speed 1500's have them,and some don't". My neighbour just bought a new 2021 Warlock with the 8 speed on Friday,and it doesn't have the shutters.That's 2 new 8 speed 1500's i've looked at lately that don't have the shutters.Both are Alberta trucks,there must be a reason they aren't equipped with the shutter assembly.

There probably is, but the reason they're on some and not others doesn't change the fact that removing them has no effect on your truck if you were overheating before; they're open when the truck is running too hot.

The most likely reason they're on there is to improve fuel efficiency by reducing drag, and to help your truck heat up quicker in the winter. So removing them if you live in Alberta just means you sit in the cold longer, and removing them in the summer means you just waist more fuel.

augiedoggy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
There probably is, but the reason they're on some and not others doesn't change the fact that removing them has no effect on your truck if you were overheating before; they're open when the truck is running too hot.

The most likely reason they're on there is to improve fuel efficiency by reducing drag, and to help your truck heat up quicker in the winter. So removing them if you live in Alberta just means you sit in the cold longer, and removing them in the summer . Leveling a truck to remove the rake (also there to reduce drag) hurts performance too... yet its one of the most popular mods done here... Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wild One, I often thought about the very same question.
One day I was comparing different grills on cars and trucks while I was driving down the road.
I noticed a huge difference in the grills of the same size vehicle with their grills.
So I believe some trucks and car grills were originally designed with a smaller air inlet to the radiator area than others.
The smaller grill inlets are basically doing the job of a AGS by limiting the airflow to the radiator. The larger grill inlets (earlier versions of rams for example) have a very large frontal inlet for the radiators, so they require AGS.
Even what appears to be a grill is often actually a grill shape solid black panel.
You will notice on many different types of trucks now, their grills have large thick solid grill panels. They block a lot of the incoming airflow.
I never claimed to be an aerodynamic engineer, but this makes the best sense to me.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Wild One, I often thought about the very same question.
One day I was comparing different grills on cars and trucks while I was driving down the road.
I noticed a huge difference in the grills of the same size vehicle with their grills.
So I believe some trucks and car grills were originally designed with a smaller air inlet to the radiator area than others.
The smaller grill inlets are basically doing the job of a AGS by limiting the airflow to the radiator. The larger grill inlets (earlier versions of rams for example) have a very large frontal inlet for the radiators, so they require AGS.
Even what appears to be a grill is often actually a grill shape solid black panel.
You will notice on many different types of trucks now, their grills have large thick solid grill panels. They block a lot of the incoming airflow.
I never claimed to be an aerodynamic engineer, but this makes the best sense to me.
I got nothing that disagrees with your idea,lol. I hadn't really thought of the grills being the differance,but you might be onto something,as the Warlock grill might flow less then a guy thinks.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've also heard rebels don't have the shutters either.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
On the 2wd or 4wd rebels. I didn’t beleive I it either but 4wd is an option.
Never seen a 2wd Rebel,but then again i'm in Alberta and 2wd trucks are as rare as hens teeth here

Ram150022

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just did the AGS delete and these are my results for just the coolant temperatures.

Before AGS delete: Freeway driving, approx. 75 miles per hour. Coolant would vary from 203 to 213 degrees F with a air temp. of 75 Deg. F I did not think of checking the coolant temps in stop and go driving at the time.

After the AGS delete with only the top and bottom slats installed. Freeway driving, approx. 75 miles per hour. Coolant was steady at 194-195 Deg. F with the air temp. of 75 Deg. F. In stop and go driving, the coolant varied from 188 to 199 Deg. F.

Overall, I am very happy with the results of the AGS delete. No CEL's, and I feel better knowing the thermostat is the only device controlling the coolant temperature.
I have a 2014 Gen. 4 with the 3.6L and the 8 speed, 3.55 rear axle, standard cab and short bed.

OP
OP
T

theclassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just did the AGS delete and these are my results for just the coolant temperatures.

Before AGS delete: Freeway driving, approx. 75 miles per hour. Coolant would vary from 203 to 213 degrees F with a air temp. of 75 Deg. F I did not think of checking the coolant temps in stop and go driving at the time.

After the AGS delete with only the top and bottom slats installed. Freeway driving, approx. 75 miles per hour. Coolant was steady at 194-195 Deg. F with the air temp. of 75 Deg. F. In stop and go driving, the coolant varied from 188 to 199 Deg. F.

Overall, I am very happy with the results of the AGS delete. No CEL's, and I feel better knowing the thermostat is the only device controlling the coolant temperature.
I have a 2014 Gen. 4 with the 3.6L and the 8 speed, 3.55 rear axle, standard cab and short bed.
Good info thanks.