Active shutter delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see people are saying you get better air flow with the Honeycomb inserts ? Vs the Slat version or ?? I have the Honeycomb and was going to go with the OEM slats, SO inquiring minds want to know :) Thanks
The slats reduce airflow. If you look in them they just have small holes for airflow vs the honeycomb being wide open. I had honeycomb and swapped out for a wire mesh due to bugs and stuff getting stuck in my radiator

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
The slats reduce airflow. If you look in them they just have small holes for airflow vs the honeycomb being wide open. I had honeycomb and swapped out for a wire mesh due to bugs and stuff getting stuck in my radiator
I think I will stay w/my honeycomb grill :) Already runs 200+ in 80/90 heat

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Where is everyone buying the black honeycomb grill inserts?

I traded my original Sport grill for one set of honeycomb inserts,then bought another set for $40.00 off a Facebook market page.Both deals I found on facebook market pages,and i'm in Canada,so the 2nd set for 40 bucks Canuck I couldn't pass up,lol.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Or you can get a brand new honeycomb grill on Ebay for maybe $149 and then sell your original for $100 on Craigslist like I did.....

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Anyone who did switch from the slat's to Honeycomb inserts notice a temperature difference ? I am curious Thanks

Last edited:

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I just want the inserts without dealing with a whole grill assembly. It's stupid that you can't just buy the inserts.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I just want the inserts without dealing with a whole grill assembly. It's stupid that you can't just buy the inserts.

Go on the Ram facebook pages,good chance you'll find somebody willing to trade you inserts.There's usually the odd post on facebook where somebody wants to trade their honeycomb inserts for the fancier inserts.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Go on E Bay and I assume Amazon there are inserts there
Also you can get them from the dealer but bend over when they give you the bill lol

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Interesting discussion, I’ve done consecutive WOT pulls in humid 90 degree heat with the sport grill/AGS intact and the water temp never saw 200. Electric fan does a fantastic job immediately dropping it down to ~185.

180T @196 EFan w/mechanical delete

Last edited:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
My AGS is fully stock and when temp in the 90s the other day I hit 210+ * Supposedly normal on my Penastar :O I would prefer 200 max so when I get off my butt I will pull a few fins from the AGS . But really curious on how much the temp will drop

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Interesting discussion, I’ve done consecutive WOT pulls in humid 90 degree heat with the sport grill/AGS intact and the water temp never saw 200. Electric fan does a fantastic job immediately dropping it down to ~185.

Go buy a lottery ticket,as you got lucky on your truck,unless there's more to the story like you have a 180 T-stat and are tuned to have your e-fan turn on early,as there's not a chance in hell you'll see those temps after a few wide open pulls with the stock 203 thermostat Tim.If you're running a 180 T-stat state that fact,as that's a very important fact to leave out of your claims.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Edited for clarity.

Deleting or modifying the AGS will be severely detrimental to colder weather warm up time and highway operation, especially with the mechanical fan. I suggest doing more research or actually confirming stock operation before performing this “mod”.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would add having seen Wild One's setup in person, he told me that he does not drive his Ram in the winter.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the flipside if they are easy to remove, they are probably easy to put back on.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Rick said that in another post as well. I suppose I could try to find it. lol

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Edited for clarity.

Deleting or modifying the AGS will be severely detrimental to colder weather warm up time and highway operation, especially with the mechanical fan. I suggest doing more research or actually confirming stock operation before performing this “mod”.

I was in -20 degree F weather last year hunting and didn't have any issues. Recently, was in sub-freezing temps during a snow storm and also had no problems either.

I hit remote start for the truck while I was in the camper, let it warm up for 10 minutes and by the time I got in, heater was warm and only took another few minutes to get hot.

If you don't have remote start, yeah it will suck for a few minutes though for sure!

Can't tell you how it would have behaved with the AGS still intact though since it has been so long since I deleted it.

Keep in mind that I fully removed all of the provisions for AGS and well as installed a 180* thermostat.

Snow.jpg

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the flipside if they are easy to remove, they are probably easy to put back on.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Well, I removed all but the top and bottom louvers so the thing would still work so we’ll see if the truck runs cooler for one, and if it does run a little cooler, well see if cooler running vs reduced supposed aerodynamics helps/hinders fuel economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I removed all but the top and bottom louvers so the thing would still work so we’ll see if the truck runs cooler for one, and if it does run a little cooler, well see if cooler running vs reduced supposed aerodynamics helps/hinders fuel economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I did the exact same as well as put a 180 thermostat in. Have not noticed any change in MPG, maybe a hair better than before. Coolant temp used to run 200-220 (I live in South Texas). Have not seen the coolant temp break 195 yet.