Active shutter delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chrisnick1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there any benefit to deleting the active shutter on the ram? I seen and heard of people doing this. I was thinking about it to run the vararam air grabber intake system but not sure if I need to or not

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It did drop the IAT with my vararam a few degrees, but I did it primarily to get the most out of a 180 T-stat/E-fan swap. Seems to keep most of the under hood temps a bit lower after long stretches on the highway since airflow never get's restricted. I'm glad I did it, but IMO it's a personal choice based on other modifications to the truck.

OP
OP
Chrisnick1222

Chrisnick1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It did drop the IAT with my vararam a few degrees, but I did it primarily to get the most out of a 180 T-stat/E-fan swap. Seems to keep most of the under hood temps a bit lower after long stretches on the highway since airflow never get's restricted. I'm glad I did it, but IMO it's a personal choice based on other modifications to the truck.
I live in New Hampshire I was going to do it for the intake system. How did you delete it and have no codes

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I removed all but upper and lower slats, not a full delete waaay before installing vararam. B4 temp would be 210-212 with a high of 216 and after 204-208 with a high of 211. I also swapped slat grill to honeycomb to allow more air thru and to allow for behind the grill LED pods.
Without a custom stat/tune my opinion is removal can only help airflow, which is why mine will stay out as long as I have a vararam intake!!

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I live in New Hampshire I was going to do it for the intake system. How did you delete it and have no codes

Codes are deleted from the tune. I do also have one of those delete kits for the ED installed, but in the winter it would still throw a delayed warm up code.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check with Jason Dauria--he is the Administrator on High Performance Rams on FB. He has a kit designed to let you remove the shutters and prevent a code. I think the kit is under $20.
Jay

OP
OP
Chrisnick1222

Chrisnick1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check with Jason Dauria--he is the Administrator on High Performance Rams on FB. He has a kit designed to let you remove the shutters and prevent a code. I think the kit is under $20.
Jay
I sent him a message got no response as of yet

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the screw method on my truck to delete the ags and completely removed the shutter system. Mounted the motor in a new spot. I also have a 190 stat in the truck. Better cooling means better power because it does not pull as much timing out due to predetonation from running hotter. My mpg dropped about .5 mpg as well when I did this. Not sure if maybe I was using more throttle or maybe more fuel being used. Pretty sure I was driving the same though

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every time I think I might try this I remember that we only get 2 1/2 months of hot weather with rest being slightly warm to ball breaking cold.

Then I back away from my shutters.
I have never had an issue with my truck warming up. Granted the coldest I’ve had in Florida is around the 40s. But even then my truck warms up pretty quickly. A lot faster than my 97 ram did even on a hot day.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same as Ramm5.7, pulled all but top and bottom slats and reinstalled. Temps rarely get above 204 now, usually 199-203. I mainly did this for the Vararam. Its a functioning ram air intake, but when the shutters close its got to pull air from 12”-15” further south and all of it buffeting against the radiator. The seat dyno felt it was breathing better with the removal....

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I removed all but upper and lower slats, not a full delete waaay before installing vararam. B4 temp would be 210-212 with a high of 216 and after 204-208 with a high of 211. I also swapped slat grill to honeycomb to allow more air thru and to allow for behind the grill LED pods.
Without a custom stat/tune my opinion is removal can only help airflow, which is why mine will stay out as long as I have a vararam intake!!

So other than making way for the honeycomb grille, and getting a 5-degree cooler temp, what else in the reason for this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So other than making way for the honeycomb grille, and getting a 5-degree cooler temp, what else in the reason for this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The honeycomb grill and shutter removal was for 2 reasons.
Cooler temps and room for behind the grill LED lighting

Edit....its a bonus after vararam install by not blocking intake airflow

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Every time I think I might try this I remember that we only get 2 1/2 months of hot weather with rest being slightly warm to ball breaking cold.

Then I back away from my shutters.

The center slats pop out pretty easily,pop them out in the spring,then pop them back in in the fall.One of the better mods to do on a Sport is to swap the restrictive grill out for the honey comb version,besides everybody and their dog has a Sport in Kenney's province,including him,lol

Edit:looks like you might already have the honeycomb grill.

OP
OP
Chrisnick1222

Chrisnick1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The center slats pop out pretty easily,pop them out in the spring,then pop them back in in the fall.One of the better mods to do on a Sport is to swap the restrictive grill out for the honey comb version,besides everybody and their dog has a Sport in Kenney's province,including him,lol

Edit:looks like you might already have the honeycomb grill.
I have the honey comb grill in my ram. But living in New England is making me think now

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I see people are saying you get better air flow with the Honeycomb inserts ? Vs the Slat version or ?? I have the Honeycomb and was going to go with the OEM slats, SO inquiring minds want to know :) Thanks