Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Added oat to hoat coolant please help

Discussion in '3rd Gen DIY' started by Hesabiggin111, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Hesabiggin111

Hesabiggin111 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    4.7 v8
    Ok I went to the local auto parts store and the guy gave me the wrong coolant. It's my fault for not knowing what I needed but I changed my fluid and put in oat coolant. Then I discovered that I was supposed to use hoat coolant and mixing the 2 even just a small amount can gum up the ports. I'm so mad at myself I would kick myself if it do any good. Anyways what can I do now. I'm figuring on draining it flushing if some and filling it with some distilled water and a jug of radiator flush driving it for a day or two then draining, flushing, and putting correct hoat coolant in it. Will this fix it or have I ruined my 2007 ram 1500 5.7 hemi quad cab? Please help. You guys have been great so far I really do appreciate all the advise on previous posts.

2. GTyankee

GTyankee Senior Member Supporting Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 ecodiesel
    I would stick a pan under the radiator & open the petcock & let the fluid drain down
    As the radiator drains down a bit, start pouring Tap water slowly into the radiator.

When the liquid turns clear, close the petcock & then use the radiator flush like you mentioned.
    Make sure to run your engine & use the heater on high, so that you are flushing the Complete system

When you are ready, put in your 50/50 mix, using distilled water.

As to the type of anti freeze you use
    Once the cooling system is completely flushed,

It truly does not matter if you were to Use
    Inorganic Additive Technology (IAT), ( green stuff )

Organic Acid Technology (OAT),

Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT).

Typically, older cars use IAT. It needs to be changed every two years or 24,000 miles, making it far inferior to newer formulas

The main thing is to Not mix the types

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021