Adding a small amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoToad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My new 2022 Ram 1500 Classic is the best. The only thing in it that is not the best is the audio. It came with the Uconnect 5.0 which is fine except for the tiny backup screen which I am learning to live with. The sound was another matter. Muddy, muddy, muddy. A previous discussion confirmed it was not just me with my 73 yr old Tinnitus but, in fact, the speakers. Several said speaker replacement alone turned night into day. So I opted to go with the relatively cheap Pioneers for the doors and Kenwoods for the dash. And, yes a night and day difference. But I am wondering if going from 15W speakers to 100W speakers might need a little more power to get me a lot more clarity. I have found the Kenwood KAC-M1814 amp at around 200 bucks would suit me perfectly. Trouble is Crutchfield is saying that I may or may not need additional parts like resistors and RCA jacks. Depending on..... And there's the rub. Getting correct info about the unit is like pulling teeth. An installer said the 5.0 has a preamp. The dash and front door speakers are in parallel effectively turning them into 2 ohm speakers. Is this correct? And does this effect the amp? I think I am sure it is the ordinary system and not the Alpine. Asking the dealer what's in there gets me nowhere. I have not been able to find a Youtube vid on a 2022 Classic amp install. To new I guess. So before I invest more I am hoping to hear for you peeps with the same rig (or similar) who have done what I am hoping to do. Again, I have a new 2022 (Canadian) Ram 1500 Classic Quad cab.