Adding Remote Keyless Entry (keyfob lock/unlock) DIY w/ ALFA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Wanted to add informed post with directions through my personal experiance.
I recently purchased an 2018 1500 Tradesman with tip keys / Sentry keys. Which meant no remote lock/unlock keyfob. Here are the steps to get remote fob added for your 4th gen.

all following were done with Alfaodb android and Obdlink MX+. Also with 2018+ you need a security bypass cable.

I used the Chrysler Pin Puller app and paid to get PIN after trying to get it from 20 dealer calls. Some model you can pull PIN using ALFA I tried and for the life of me it just never does anything. You will need your PIN to reset HUB and also program your FOBIK

*ALWAY BACK UP YOUR SETTINGS BEFORE PROCEEDING TO MAKE ANY CHANGES.

1. Install bypass cable, and plug in obdlink MX+ and connect to your android device.
2. Open AlfaOBD, click the bluetooth icon and pick your Obdlink MX+ device. should show device connected.
3. In "My car" section -
Click Dodge/Ram,
RAM 1500 (DS/DX/DT)
Body Computer
My2018 PowerNet (this will be different depending on your year.
4. Click on the open hood icon at bottom right corner
5. Scroll to "Car configuration change" (towards the bottom)
In the Selection option section, find VehConfig 3: RKE System Present,
in Select value choose "yes". Then click "Start". This will turn on the remote keyless entry option after about 5-10 seconds.
(you can try to confirm if this is enabled if you click start again and it says current value is set at yes)
6. Go back up to Main interface screen, Change BODY COMPUTER to RADIO FREQUENCY HUB(RFH), In Select Control Unit - Choose Radio Frequency HUB My2012-21 PowerNet. Click Open Hood
7. Select RF-HUB Reset/Replace, Enter your PIN. Click start. You should see on screen log during the process it does add the new RKE option.
8. Change to Program Ignition FOBIKs Baseline System. Follow onscreen prompt, Enter PIN and click "START"

After this is complete, disconnect and exit app. Wait 5-10 minutes for car computer to reset/program.

Try the lock/unlock buttons on your new REMOTE FOB and see if they work.

sorry no screenshots currently but will try to edit post later to add them.

_TopGear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Im trying to program a new fob on my 2013 and I have the keyless 'tombstone' key, how do I go about this? Ive tried at program new fobik, program baseline system and highline system, none of which work

OP
OP
Athlium

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Im trying to program a new fob on my 2013 and I have the keyless 'tombstone' key, how do I go about this? Ive tried at program new fobik, program baseline system and highline system, none of which work
I'm going to need a bit more info here,
what version of Alfa (android/Windows) are you using?
you using demo or paid for app?
what Obd reader?
What doesn't work?
After program does your fob start the car?

_TopGear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
got it to work!

using and android phone (one plus 7 pro), just downloaded alphaOBD on app store (newest version)
OBD link MX+ (brand new, just came in the mail 2 days ago)
25$ knock off keyfobs on ebay, programmed 2

let it be known for these keyfobs it only works when selecting (program FOBIK HIGHLINE system)

OP
OP
Athlium

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Negative. I replaced nothing.

Again, assuming that you already have power locks. You should have the proper rfhub.

@Alvarado87 do you also have stabby sentry keys?

OP
OP
Athlium

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Yeah basic keys no fob, had the dealership install mopar remote start kit and they came back and said they couldn't program keys. They actually went so far as to replace rf hub and antenna but couldn't add keyless or remote start
yeah.. if you REALLY want to pay the Dealership to do the work.. they will need to activate/Add GXM on your body computer per this thread https://www.ramforum.com/threads/keyless-entry-and-tailgate-added-to-2018-tradesman-2500.184747/

If you are semi decent on with electronics / phone app, you can just follow my original directions and do it yourself. I think to activate the remote start kit, you will need to use enable several other settings using Alfa. you can find them in the search.

Alvarado87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yeah.. if you REALLY want to pay the Dealership to do the work.. they will need to activate/Add GXM on your body computer per this thread https://www.ramforum.com/threads/keyless-entry-and-tailgate-added-to-2018-tradesman-2500.184747/

If you are semi decent on with electronics / phone app, you can just follow my original directions and do it yourself. I think to activate the remote start kit, you will need to use enable several other settings using Alfa. you can find them in the search.
Got it to work, dealer said it wouldn't work because the RF hub was missing a antenna connection but when I enabled RKE with alfaobd the truck now locks/unlocks and because they left the remote start kit installed and handed over the keyfobs at no charge it now also has remote start.

Athlium thanks for posting the alfaobd instructions it is greatly appreciated, thanks to this post I was able to get remote entry on my truck in 30min after the dealership spent a week trying to do the same thing and coming back saying it was impossible

OP
OP
Athlium

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Got it to work, dealer said it wouldn't work because the RF hub was missing a antenna connection but when I enabled RKE with alfaobd the truck now locks/unlocks and because they left the remote start kit installed and handed over the keyfobs at no charge it now also has remote start.

Athlium thanks for posting the alfaobd instructions it is greatly appreciated, thanks to this post I was able to get remote entry on my truck in 30min after the dealership spent a week trying to do the same thing and coming back saying it was impossible
wow. nice score with the Remote start setup. wish my dealership would even acknowledge that I was there..

Glad that you were able to get things working with my directions.

cseitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I recently purchased an 2018 1500 Tradesman with tip keys / Sentry keys. Which meant no remote lock/unlock keyfob. Here are the steps to get remote fob added for your 4th gen.

all following were done with Alfaodb android and Obdlink MX+. Also with 2018+ you need a security bypass cable.

I used the Chrysler Pin Puller app and paid to get PIN after trying to get it from 20 dealer calls. Some model you can pull PIN using ALFA I tried and for the life of me it just never does anything. You will need your PIN to reset HUB and also program your FOBIK

1. Install bypass cable, and plug in obdlink MX+ and connect to your android device.
2. Open AlfaOBD, click the bluetooth icon and pick your Obdlink MX+ device. should show device connected.
3. In "My car" section -
Click Dodge/Ram,
RAM 1500 (DS/DX/DT)
Body Computer
in Select value choose "yes". Then click "Start". This will turn on the remote keyless entry option after about 5-10 seconds.
(you can try to confirm if this is enabled if you click start again and it says current value is set at yes)
6. Go back up to Main interface screen, Change BODY COMPUTER to RADIO FREQUENCY HUB(RFH), In Select Control Unit - Choose Radio Frequency HUB My2012-21 PowerNet. Click Open Hood
7. Select RF-HUB Reset/Replace, Enter your PIN. Click start. You should see on screen log during the process it does add the new RKE option.
8. Change to Program Ignition FOBIKs Baseline System. Follow onscreen prompt, Enter PIN and click "START"

After this is complete, disconnect and exit app. Wait 5-10 minutes for car computer to reset/program.

What did you do with the sentry key after? Doesn't it still need to go into the ignition to run?

OP
OP
Athlium

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
sentry (blade) key isn't needed anymore after. I only use the remote keyfob now.

I have 1 of the sentry key hidden outside the truck just incase I ever lost the Remote FOB / locked out of the truck or the FOB stops working. second sentry key is in the house.

cseitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
sentry (blade) key isn't needed anymore after. I only use the remote keyfob now.

I have 1 of the sentry key hidden outside the truck just incase I ever lost the Remote FOB / locked out of the truck or the FOB stops working. second sentry key is in the house.
Right on thanks. Ordered an OEM style fob, going to give it a shot. I have an aftermarket keyfob but it's unreliable, and I can't stand the sentry key in my pocket. Thanks!

OP
OP
Athlium

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel

cseitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

Man this worked awesome. Nice to have a factory stubby keyfob now. Thanks for documenting your process!

Deanopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6

3. In "My car" section -
Click Dodge/Ram,
RAM 1500 (DS/DX/DT)
Body Computer

please tell me what "1. Install bypass cable," you are using?
thank you.

OP
OP
Athlium

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
please tell me what "1. Install bypass cable," you are using?
thank you.

I followed this thread for the cable. Forum member makes them..

bmyfe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
got it to work!

using and android phone (one plus 7 pro), just downloaded alphaOBD on app store (newest version)
OBD link MX+ (brand new, just came in the mail 2 days ago)
25$ knock off keyfobs on ebay, programmed 2

let it be known for these keyfobs it only works when selecting (program FOBIK HIGHLINE system)
you did this on a tradesman that didn't have remote lock when purchased new?

OP
OP
Athlium

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
you did this on a tradesman that didn't have remote lock when purchased new?
That is correct. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I live in 2022 and truck didn't have remote keyfob/ lock and unlock.

Left is the key that I was supplied with.. right is the one I got from AMZ
1667861215863.png

All 4th gen has this feature built-in.. just need to activate it.

Last edited:

RoadBoss2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

3. In "My car" section -
Click Dodge/Ram,
RAM 1500 (DS/DX/DT)
Body Computer
In the Selection option section, find Veh Config 3: RKE System Present,

I have a friend , she has a plain 2011 with blade keys. I was thinking of adding Fobik for remote entry. I m glad I found this tread. Based on the success of this mod , I wonder if I just add a hood switch and enable remote start as well . Anyone try that ?