Adding Suspension Airline Dryer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dannoonan01

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 and 2016 Power Wagon
Engine
5.7 Hemi and 6.4 Hemi
I just had an issue with my 2013 Ram Sport. It did the typical suspension freeze up or fault out with the front wheels bottomed out. I had a code for the reversing valve open circuit, which means either ice in the valve or a bad valve. Heat did not help and after seeing the condition of the compressor and valve assembly I just went ahead and replaced it. What a terrible location ! I chose to go with Dorman 949-356XD that comes with the full aluminum enclosure around the compressor and valve body. I found it on Rock Auto for 549.00 and its readily available just about everywhere but this was the best deal I could find and I could get expedited shipping. This is the upgraded compressor too. When I installed the compressor assembly, I went ahead and added two air filter /dryers. One was a descant style inline and the other was a round plastic filter dryer like you would use for a paint gun. I bought them both at harbor Freight. For good measure I secured some green air filter foam (Lawn mower pre filter) around the inlet fitting. The plastic filter dryer is first, then its connected to the descant dryer, then the intake hose to the compressor. There should be no dirt or water getting into this system from the air makeup line!

The Dorman 949-356XD installed easily and was a direct fit. I did find that the air outlet and pressure lines were reversed from the factory. Unfortunately I found this after hours of trouble shooting a low Air Mass issue, and charging and recharging the system multiple times. I knew I had the correct nitrogen pressure (175 psi or 12 bar), but it was not reading in the system according to my scanner. I also suggest using some blue tape to identify your air lines when you remove them. Remove the rear tire and fender well to give your self better access to the compressor and the charging ports.

All said and done it was still an expensive repair. 549 for the compressor assembly, 160 for the tank of nitrogen, 40 for the nitrogen regulator, 15 for the filter dryers. I already had a vacuum pump and A/C Manifold Gauge set. The truck rides great when the system works, and this is the only real issue I have had with it so far and it has 180,000 miles on it which is amazing considering I live in Michigan. It glitched a few times, but it always cured itself. Now that I have the proper re-charging setup, I will purge and recharge the system every year or two. I was tempted to add some air brake anti-freeze in the system but I didn't want to compromise my compressor or valve assembly and I am confident that I got all of the water out of the system, by pulling a vacuum and filling and purging the system with nitrogen multiple times.

If you tackle this repair, take your time and understand how the system works and where the lines go. Make sure the fittings are tight, the plastic lines should not have any movement in the fitting once they are tight. Check your connector pins and hose routing on the new unit, make sure they are routed correctly and no pins are bent.

Thunderbucket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1). Just a thought it looks like there is a dryer with desiccant built into the compressor itself… looks familiar , might be worth a try

also seen a old video of a guy putting the desiccant in the oven for 10 mins to dry it out and reuse it.

2). Has anyone tried the doorman product with case?

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I suggest reading post #41 in regards to your question 2.

JoeYesbut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
1). Just a thought it looks like there is a dryer with desiccant built into the compressor itself… looks familiar , might be worth a try

also seen a old video of a guy putting the desiccant in the oven for 10 mins to dry it out and reuse it.

2). Has anyone tried the doorman product with case?

According to Dorman website, there is a dryer built in. I emailed them to confirm the information. According to the same page, the Dorman seems to be higher quality than the Arnott (oem). Plastic piston vs metal piston, for exemple.

Carlos Petry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wouldn't be good to put some check valves or just regular valves to close when changing the drier cartridge?

OP
OP
Xsen

Xsen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wouldn't be good to put some check valves or just regular valves to close when changing the drier cartridge?
Yeah, why not. It'd save the trouble of letting the air out of the tanks and pressurizing them back. I'd say a check valve might be installed on the return line that goes to the tanks to let the air go in, but not out. Although this would introduce more couplings into the airlines, so more chances for leaks.

Foefame

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just had an issue with my 2013 Ram Sport. It did the typical suspension freeze up or fault out with the front wheels bottomed out. I had a code for the reversing valve open circuit, which means either ice in the valve or a bad valve. Heat did not help and after seeing the condition of the compressor and valve assembly I just went ahead and replaced it. What a terrible location ! I chose to go with Dorman 949-356XD that comes with the full aluminum enclosure around the compressor and valve body. I found it on Rock Auto for 549.00 and its readily available just about everywhere but this was the best deal I could find and I could get expedited shipping. This is the upgraded compressor too. When I installed the compressor assembly, I went ahead and added two air filter /dryers. One was a descant style inline and the other was a round plastic filter dryer like you would use for a paint gun. I bought them both at harbor Freight. For good measure I secured some green air filter foam (Lawn mower pre filter) around the inlet fitting. The plastic filter dryer is first, then its connected to the descant dryer, then the intake hose to the compressor. There should be no dirt or water getting into this system from the air makeup line!

The Dorman 949-356XD installed easily and was a direct fit. I did find that the air outlet and pressure lines were reversed from the factory. Unfortunately I found this after hours of trouble shooting a low Air Mass issue, and charging and recharging the system multiple times. I knew I had the correct nitrogen pressure (175 psi or 12 bar), but it was not reading in the system according to my scanner. I also suggest using some blue tape to identify your air lines when you remove them. Remove the rear tire and fender well to give your self better access to the compressor and the charging ports.

All said and done it was still an expensive repair. 549 for the compressor assembly, 160 for the tank of nitrogen, 40 for the nitrogen regulator, 15 for the filter dryers. I already had a vacuum pump and A/C Manifold Gauge set. The truck rides great when the system works, and this is the only real issue I have had with it so far and it has 180,000 miles on it which is amazing considering I live in Michigan. It glitched a few times, but it always cured itself. Now that I have the proper re-charging setup, I will purge and recharge the system every year or two. I was tempted to add some air brake anti-freeze in the system but I didn't want to compromise my compressor or valve assembly and I am confident that I got all of the water out of the system, by pulling a vacuum and filling and purging the system with nitrogen multiple times.

If you tackle this repair, take your time and understand how the system works and where the lines go. Make sure the fittings are tight, the plastic lines should not have any movement in the fitting once they are tight. Check your connector pins and hose routing on the new unit, make sure they are routed correctly and no pins are bent.

Foefame

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

What were the symptoms of the crossed airlines on compressor. I just installed the same dorman compressor and having some difficulty.

Thornbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l V8
Would a system like this work for this?
RIH Pneumatics Compressed Air Double Filter & Regulator, Air Drying System, Air Compressor Water Separator, Semi -Auto Drain, Poly Bowl,0-150 psi Gauge, 5 Micron Brass Element (3/8"NPT) https://a.co/d/ehNhWoP

JoeYesbut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Would a system like this work for this?
RIH Pneumatics Compressed Air Double Filter & Regulator, Air Drying System, Air Compressor Water Separator, Semi -Auto Drain, Poly Bowl,0-150 psi Gauge, 5 Micron Brass Element (3/8"NPT) https://a.co/d/ehNhWoP
The regulator is useless. I would not install a regulator directly at the outlet of a compressor. Typically these are installed at a point of use. I also think the item lacks of important key information such as dessicant type, and preferably the dew point it can offer. Also 145 psi seems a little short considering the tanks are supposed to be filled up to 170-175.

The original solution with the screw on filter and the plate holder seems the best way to install a dryer. My personal opinion is that as soon as it starts to go wrong, a full conversion to struts and heavy duty coils is the cheapest and most effective solution if you plan to keep the truck. As a bonus you get to level it with a 2,5"/1" lift at the same time. If you really need the air bags, well...

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The air suspension makes it much nicer for my wife and even myself to get in the truck, the entry exit mode even with the off road group lowers the truck considerably.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The regulator is useless. I would not install a regulator directly at the outlet of a compressor. Typically these are installed at a point of use. I also think the item lacks of important key information such as dessicant type, and preferably the dew point it can offer. Also 145 psi seems a little short considering the tanks are supposed to be filled up to 170-175.

The original solution with the screw on filter and the plate holder seems the best way to install a dryer. My personal opinion is that as soon as it starts to go wrong, a full conversion to struts and heavy duty coils is the cheapest and most effective solution if you plan to keep the truck. As a bonus you get to level it with a 2,5"/1" lift at the same time. If you really need the air bags, well...
If you just want longevity, and don't want to pay a lot, I would agree, converting to a normal suspension would be a good decision. But for those of us who like the Air Ride... That's a pretty big downgrade... Especially when I'm trying to UPGRADE my truck, not downgrade. ;) And the Ram, at 5+ years old, rides better than the wife's 2 year old RAV4...

REBELOKAY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys,

I've been contacted by another forum member in PM regarding the bracket fabrication some time ago, so I went to the guy who made mine and asked him about the price - he named $150. That excludes shipping of course.

Funny thing is - a few days later he called me and said that 8 brackets were ready for me. I never asked him to start making them, but I guess people really like to hear what they want to hear sometimes...

Anyway, I have an unexpected stock of these now. I think I'll keep one just in case, but for the other seven - I'd be happy to get them to one of you, so you could forward them locally just to make one cross-continent shipping. I think there should be some shipping options even at these times.

Money is another PITA though. Anyway, if anyone's willing to take part in this - let me know. I guess we'll have to work something out.
Can I get one ??

mjbrox113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I like the idea of the desiccant dryer filter and the spin on filter would be nice but at that cost for a spin on adapter I'd be tempted to go with this;
View attachment 506950
If I start having problems with my air suspension this would be my method at this time.

Did you ever try this out. This seems logical. Does this solve the problem?

I just got a 2014 with airbags. I live in colorado, so it gets cold but its also dry.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you ever try this out. This seems logical. Does this solve the problem?

I just got a 2014 with airbags. I live in colorado, so it gets cold but its also dry.
No I have not my suspension is still working like it should so no need so far.