Adding USB ports to rear console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AV8B6015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Ok, I have been wanting to do this in my 2500, and I think I have come up with a plan.

41iqMJfJelL.jpg

I'm thinking of getting two of these and mounting one on either side of the console (I have two kids and they both use electronics)

Is there power that I can access in the console or should I run some wires?

What do you guys think?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I did this with my truck. Added it on the back side of the storage big in the center console

Sent From My HTC ONE MAX

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I did this with my truck. Added it on the back side of the storage big in the center console

Sent From My HTC ONE MAX

Is that for the rear passengers? Any zoomed out pics?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Is that for the rear passengers? Any zoomed out pics?

I thought about having one facing the rear seat but at this time don't need one

Sent From My HTC ONE MAX

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hmmm... I like that. Take it you found those on ebay? Anyone have a link to similar product?

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm gonna order the one from the link I posted. I have two kids who always need to charge their iPads. It's got two 2.1 USB ports. The others I've seen are one 2.1 and a 1 amp. The 1amp won't charge the new iPads or iPhones.

OP
OP
AV8B6015

AV8B6015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I finally got around to ordering the ones I posted today. I plan on putting them on the rear of the console so my kids can access them from the back seat.

I kind of wish I had checked back here sooner (thought I subscribed??) or I probably would have ordered the ones in the other link but oh well.

Anyone know if there is easily accessible power in the console that I can splice two of these into?

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I finally got around to ordering the ones I posted today. I plan on putting them on the rear of the console so my kids can access them from the back seat.

I kind of wish I had checked back here sooner (thought I subscribed??) or I probably would have ordered the ones in the other link but oh well.

Anyone know if there is easily accessible power in the console that I can splice two of these into?
If your truck is like mine then you have at least 1 12v port in the console area that you can tap as your source. Should make the wiring part pretty painless.

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Post an how-to thread on this when you do the install, if you could.

jabrams00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ordered mine today with (2) 2.1 ports. Will post when installed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oilbelcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Limited Diesel
Engine
Diesel 3.0
Let us know how you open access to council, as I have been wanting to tap into the 12v wires to hard wire other hinges like LED lights and extra local power

jabrams00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I got the USB port in the mail a couple of days and finally got around to getting it installed, I ended putting next the cup holder in the floor oppose to the back of the center console. It actually worked out better than planned. First I removed the cup holder and did some flashlight work and found the space below was open to the sides under the seat. I have the '13 blacked out express so there in minimal wiring. I found a switched 12v source under the drivers seat. Instead of running under the carpet I decided to go under the truck. There is a plastic knockout under the drivers seat, so I drill a small hole in and ran the wiring high and tight. Also under the passenger there is another plastic knockout under the carpet which happens to be in the same spot as the opening for the cup holder. So low and behold 30 minutes later we have USB... Will post pics soon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
AV8B6015

AV8B6015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I just got mine done, very easy. Not really sure I need to do a complete "How to" thread.

I installed two of the plugs in my original post on the back of the center console.

Linky

First, I popped the rear cover of the center console off. Very simple, no tools required, just pull it right off. I started at the top.

Then, I used a 1.5" hole saw to make two holes, one on either side of the existing 12v outlet in the center.

Then, I put the USB sockets in, tightened them down and spliced into the wire for the 12v outlet.

Connect the plugs back and snap the cover back on.

Whole thing took like 15 minutes.

image(5).jpg