Unable to make hands free calls or use USB ports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldwoofie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi e-torgue
I purchased my 2022 Ram Laramie pickup on February 23, 2022. The truck was loaded with extras and listed for $62,000+.

The first attempt to do a hands-free dial of a phone number via the phone symbol on the steering wheel, resulted in a screen showing the phone connected but no dial tone or command request. After trying several different approaches to the problem, I took the truck to the dealer to see if they could fix it, in early March 2022. Several techs looked at the problem and even the sales manager tried to resolve the issue. They finally decided it needed a software upgrade that was not available as yet. Never heard back so in January 2023 I went in for a software upgrade that they thought would fix the problem.

The problem continued to be there. I went back in a couple of days later and explained that the upgrade did not fix the problem. When I went back to pick up my truck the tech wanted to speak to me. He explained that the software that I needed (connected services) to make the button on the steering wheel work had been deleted at the factory with no explanation as to why. He showed me the vehicle build paperwork and it shows the software as being deleted

The solution was to use Google speak on my phone after pushing the middle button on the steering wheel just below the phone symbol. Then speak the number I wanted and the phone via the radio should work fine. They had tested it and were able to use it with their phone.

When I tried this, I had to confirm the number on my phone which is another step of looking away from the road. Not an acceptable solution. Nothing in the discussion of buying the truck or during the4 closing was this mentioned. The sale person at the dealership was unaware of it as well. I feel this was an issue that should have been revealed when the truck was sold.

I bought truck in good faith that all the features of the Laramie mold were included. I contact Mopar customer service today and was told that feature did not come with that truck.

Looking to see if any other Ram owner has this issue and maybe get some resolution if enough owners can get together.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Are you able to get AndroidAuto to connect and work

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i wouild have told the dealer to program it back in, for the price you paid it would seem to be aa reasonable request. making a hands free call is aa common feature in almost all and any new vehicles. why the factory would delete it is absurd.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I was just looking at a new 2023 3500 Cab and Chassis Tradesman. I noticed on the window sticker under Optional Equipment there is a line Connected Services Delete Credit -$250. Check your window sticker and / or build sheet to see if this is listed under options. If Connected Services Delete Credit isn't listed on them then get with the dealer as your vehicle should have Connected Services installed. You can show them the window sticker or build sheet as proof.

Here is a link to a post with how to get these sheets by VIN.

OP
OP
O

oldwoofie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi e-torgue
The dealership found the problems was because the Connected Services feature was deleted during the build. According to Ram it cannot be added later and can only be installed during the build process.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
The dealership found the problems was because the Connected Services feature was deleted during the build. According to Ram it cannot be added later and can only be installed during the build process.
What did the window sticker show? Was it ordered with the Connected Services deleted or did the factory delete it by mistake?

Strange it can't be added. Folks including myself have added auto-dim headlights/mirrors, 8.4 radios and auto climate control to trucks that did not come with them from the factory. Some mods needed an additional wiring harness but the software portion was as simple as making a change to the BCM.

OP
OP
O

oldwoofie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi e-torgue
The feature was deleted during th build faze of truck. Ram claims they cannot ad it later on.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nothing about this makes sense. Why would this even be an option to delete? Especially on a Laramie?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
The option is there for low trim trucks and low end radios. Also fleets, rentals, etc. can save $250 per vehicle. Adds up when buying 100’s of vehicles.

I have read where sneaky dealers are using the option when ordering vehicles for their lots. Increases profit by $250. Many buyers will not notice it on the window sticker or know what it means if they see it. Not many buyers try the hands free feature with their phone during the test drive or when taking delivery of the vehicle.

Could also have been been a mistake when ordering. Clicking the wrong check box by accident.

Any way it happened it sucks for the OP. He bought a high end vehicle and a rather common feature is not there. I prefer to not have Siri listening all the time so I use the button to activate it.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That makes more sense on fleet vehicles. Wasn't thinking that way. But isn't it better to call the boss hands free and not wreck the work truck? Lol.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
That makes more sense on fleet vehicles. Wasn't thinking that way. But isn't it better to call the boss hands free and not wreck the work truck?
Most corporate fleets are either hands free, or no mobile device use in motion, nowadays if the state doesn't already have laws prohibiting hands-on electronic device useage.

OP
OP
O

oldwoofie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi e-torgue
I was advised to get enouigh other Ram owners with the same problem to write to Ram and their attn Generals to get a clss action suite going.

OP
OP
O

oldwoofie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi e-torgue
I have been thru all kinds of solution and filed a complaint with my AG office. The response back from Ram was the deletion was related to Covid and the ship shortage. Ram claims the feature cannot be added by the dealer as is only available during the build. The deletion was noted on the window sticker but who rads the entire sticker and even if did I woukld have related it to the deleltoiin of this service. I basically cannot use the phone feature, or the USSB ports to dsiplay navigation fro a phone or use the truck as a hot spot.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Dam that does suck. There probably should have been a bigger warning about features that were not available due to a chip shortage. Especially on a loaded vehicle where an owner is more likely to use and / or expecting the premium features.

$250 does not seem like fair compensation for the permanent loss of a safety feature. Some buyers may have gone elsewhere had they known about this issue. Or at least been able to make the decision fully informed.

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Chip shortage. One reason I didn't order a vehicle. Both Ford and Ram (as well as many others) were deleting features on even custom ordered vehicles. Ford ditched heating steering wheels, and some heated mirrors. You got a pittance in return and it wasn't worth the risk for me.

AG won't do anything for you, you not reading the paperwork up front =/= fraud. Hook up android auto or apple carplay, use that, be done with it. Uconnect sucks compared to either of those anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat