Advice on purchasing a used 2016 2500 CTD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trtlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am really close to pulling the trigger on a used 2016 Mega Cab 4x4 CTD Big Horn edition with Luxury Package. This truck has everything I am looking for, even the color. It only has 17k on it and it looks to be in great shape, drives well can’t find any issues. My budget is around $50k and the are asking 49k for this one. This truck has all the recall work done which I can’t remember all of it but I know part of it was the water pump. Is still has the reaming factory warranty. Any thing I should be concerned about with the 2016? This would be my first Desiel, I am pretty mechanically inclined. It will be used for Hwy driving mostly around 30k a year, so it will be used and ran for sure.

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No idea on the price so can't help you there but I would see if there are any service records accompanied with it. I would inspect the engine bay and check out all the emissions components to see if they were ever replaced and put back on if you can tell that is. Never know if someone deleted it had issues and put it back to stock and dumped it in on a trade. I would also get underneath it and check around for any rusting or leaks per the usual of buying a used car. Take it a new one for a test drive then drive the used if you can to see if they feel the same going down the road might help to identify anything small. I would also read up on all the maintenance schedule for the ctd as well to make sure you are capable of doing it all like the tranny, diffs, transfer case and fuel filters not just oil changes. The motor and drive train should be covered for the remainder of the 5 year 100k mile but I would get confirmation out of them first about that to make sure for some reason it wasn't void.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That's pretty much the exact truck I have. I haven't checked used prices lately and they vary by location but $49K seems a little high to me? I paid that for mine new. Have you priced a new one, you might be able to get into one pretty close to that number.

/

Last edited:

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yea seemed high to me as well but I havent looked at any diesel prices lately. I just picked up a 2018 megacab limited for 49k brand new with 4.10 gears and in with the tungsten package. I would shop around they are running some really good deals on rebates right now that truck has a msrp of 67k so its possible to get a diesel in a lower trim level for sub 50's for sure I would imagine.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
What is the idle ratio?

$49k does seem a bit high. I paid a little over that new since most dealers will give you $14k off if you negotiate a little. Right now is about the perfect time to get a 2018 model since it is the end of the year.

I am not sure if Josh is trying to scare you, but many of the things he stated are maintenance items for all HD Ram 4x4 trucks aside from the fuel filters which is about the easiest thing to do of all the stuff he listed. (I have done all the things he listed myself already)

I would not be that scared of a deleted truck. Just because they are deleted does not necessarily mean they drove it like they stole it. My brother, who drives like a grandpa, is a prime case of this. He sold his deleted 2010 at 100k miles about four years ago to a friend after he had to replace a few u-joints and a driveshaft thinking it was going to start giving him problems. His friend still has the truck with 180k and drives like a teenager with white Oakley's. The only issues he has had was a water pump.

And yes, my brother is kicking himself for selling it. He just recently sold the 2012 Powerstroke he sold his 2010 for because he was starting to have fuel pump issues, and is back in a Cummins.

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Just an FYI on a deleted Cummins. You are more likely to break the trans before you break the Cummins. The 6.7L can handle way more power than stock while the trans can handle about 500 hp if the trans has been tuned. So if it has been deleted, make sure it had a trans tune. If not, don't touch it.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
That does seem a little high. I’ve seen tradesman level Cummins with back up camera power options going for 44k. Seen a few lone star edition Cummins for about 55k. But this is in Texas not sure where you’re at. Location makes a big diff on pricing as well.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I kinda want the red one even though it’s a short bed. I’ll be trading in next year first quarter. Hoping discounts stay good. The used ones seem to pricey to me for used. They hold value very well.

16C2C14F-C3F9-43C0-9BE3-430D90E8E7D3.png

BA02E5E8-5350-4641-8244-56D58AC57260.png

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
2016 is a very good year. As to price, that is kind of a regional thing, varies in different parts of the country.

OP
OP
T

Trtlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that it is from a Ram dealer near me and all the work has been done at the dealership. They have all the maintenance records and CARFAX has all the maintenance records. I have been looking for a month and all over the South East and the best I have seen with less options New is around 57K. I have seen the Crew cheaper but not the Mega Cab. Also can’t go by dealer websites because they throw in a bunch of rebates that you don’t qualify for. I think it’s high as well but that is what he is asking haven’t negotiated yet. It’s loaded but it is a 16. Has every option minus leather. Also has automatic fold up running boards. There are so few Megas for sale especially used.

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you buy a Diesel you'll have to Spell it Correctly also. Good luck with your purchase. You won't be disappointed.

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I kinda want the red one even though it’s a short bed. I’ll be trading in next year first quarter. Hoping discounts stay good. The used ones seem to pricey to me for used. They hold value very well.

View attachment 143698

View attachment 143699

In my experiences if you are going with a leftover model year the rebates never get worse on them only better. You might also get a slightly better discount from the dealer as well once they release the new info coming out for the HDs if you plan on picking up the 2018 model year. I picked up my 2016 Laramie in march of 2017 for 18k off its msrp with discount and rebates.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
In my experiences if you are going with a leftover model year the rebates never get worse on them only better. You might also get a slightly better discount from the dealer as well once they release the new info coming out for the HDs if you plan on picking up the 2018 model year. I picked up my 2016 Laramie in march of 2017 for 18k off its msrp with discount and rebates.
Yep. I’m quietly saving and waiting. I’m always a huge fan of buying used. I usually always do. But these Cummins just seem a better deal new vs used to me. Already approve and know what I need. I’ve never been more excited for a new release of a truck lol. It’s either going to be new gen or good ole reliable 4th gen.

PNW-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
That does seem a little high. I’ve seen tradesman level Cummins with back up camera power options going for 44k. Seen a few lone star edition Cummins for about 55k. But this is in Texas not sure where you’re at. Location makes a big diff on pricing as well.

I paid 41,500 for a new '17 (last October) Tradesman with all the functional options (limited slip, 4x4, dual alternators, running boards, backup cam and many more). But it's a Tradesman, so it has cloth seats, etc.

$49 seems high to me.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd get a set of professional eyes on it to be sure it hasn't been wrecked or pulled out of a lake. All kinds of bad things can happen that don't make Carfax.

OP
OP
T

Trtlvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
49k for a “USED “ truck... you should be able to get a better apr on a New one... and should be able to find one. Look here-

https://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeepdodge.com/

Wish I could go to Idaho to pick one up unfortunately that’s a long way from Florida. Prices in the SE are just much higher for some reason dealers aren’t willing to discount that deep just yet.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Wish I could go to Idaho to pick one up unfortunately that’s a long way from Florida. Prices in the SE are just much higher for some reason dealers aren’t willing to discount that deep just yet.
Couple hundred dollars for a plane ticket. Do it all online could save thousands lol