Aftermarket Radio Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nathan Stripling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey fellow Ram owners! I just bought a 2013 Ram 1500 Express. As you can probably relate to, I have a lot of ideas for this truck. One of the first things on my list is upgrading the basic RA1 radio it came with. I am familiar with the RA3/RA4 upgrade, but it's a little on the pricey side for me. How many of you have put an aftermarket radio in and what did you get? How was the process? Any info/suggestions are appreciated!

OP
OP
Nathan Stripling

Nathan Stripling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That's nice! It's a little more than I care to spend though. Seems like they are discontinued and sell on eBay for about $800. I would prefer to stay in the $200-400 range. Most of my money is going to other things on the truck!

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m looking for the same thing. Just need wireless apple CarPlay and Inputs for front and rear camera. Everything else I ca. Control from my phone in mirror mode hopefully. :)

Now to find the radio :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Nathan Stripling

Nathan Stripling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Let me know what you end up going with! I see plenty of ones that I like, I just want one that's not too complicated to wire up. I've never done a car stereo and some of the installs I've seen are pretty intense..

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just make sure you get the Metra wire adapters so you don’t have to cut your factory wires. Never cut factory wires worst thing you can do in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hirst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I keep looking at this Alpine head unit. I have the Alpine speaker system so in my head it will look a little less aftermarket. It doesn't have Nav or able to play CDs but it has Android Auto and Apple CarPlay so I can use Nav from my phone and music stored on my phone or streamed with Spotify. It's still a little more than you had in mind but might be worth a look.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-u3Dli9JvgvN/p_500ILX207/Alpine-ILX-207.html

OP
OP
Nathan Stripling

Nathan Stripling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I love the Alpines. I don't need navigation or a CD player either (this is 2020). The biggest drawback of my radio now is not having bluetooth. I never thought it would be such a pain. There's just something about plugging my phone up to a crinkled up aux cord.. And if I go aftermarket I want something like that that makes it seamless from my phone to the radio. It seems like Crutchfield makes it pretty simple to get everything you need for an install. Now I'm just wondering how the Bluetooth would be set up. Just a mic plugged into the back that sets in the dash I assume?

Hirst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, you do take bluetooth for granted when you have it. I've not really considered set up as I already have bluetooth so would just look to connect existing set up.

I'll probably change the head unit at the same time as adding a rear camera so as well as getting it to fit in the dash that will be the thing i have to work out.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys with aftermarket radios...how do control your car settings?

Door locks, alarm, etc.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Nathan Stripling

Nathan Stripling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Awesome!! Looks like I'll be getting this one. Did your truck have bluetooth prior to the install? I assume there's a bluetooth mic that just plugs into this radio and sits back in the dash

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Maestro capable headunit is helpful to retain functions. Oddly enough there's a pioneer avh x4700bs and maestro in the for sale section right now. Im sure he'll give you a deal on both pieces. ;)

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Kenwood Excelon Ddx9905s is $449 new on Amazon. Is Kenwood high end model and newest model is only slightly different than this one, HD 720p screen etc, is a option loaded radio and has car play and android auto(wireless). Audiophile components, maestro and even a input for Kenwood dash cam to monitor on the radio and input for screen control of certain radar detectors. I put one in my SS camaro, is excellent. My Ram I had a ra3 and just upgraded to a newer nav ra4 radio. It's basically like getting the new XR line of Audiophile radios for 1/2 price. They changed model numbers and this model would have been a xr model if released last year, if spending in $400 don't pass this up, screen alone makes it look great and had same type screen as a phone, so is very responsive. I'm not even a Kenwood fan(always liked pioneer) but this Kenwood is the real deal.

Last edited:

graeme mackinnon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have just bought a ram1500 express and ordered it with an alpine upgrade radio but have since found out that the factory trailer brake setting set stuck on light electric only and the rear reverse beeper will not work.