Alfa obd + obdlink Ex

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

martinoram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just received my obdlinkEx and obd bypass cable for my ram classic warlock 2023, it has communicate with alfaobd demo at first so i installed the full alfaobd, and now i'm not able to communicate anymore.. it always appear "unable to communicate with usb", is there something i'm not doing ok ?! The interface is set to : obdlink usb. It has work at first so i'm assuming bypass cable and obdlink ex is fine ?!..

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If you're using an Android device, there is a bug that affects some Android devices which causes a USB comm error in version 2.3.5, which is the current rev at the time of this post.

I have been in contact with the Alfa developer and sent him a bug report. He replied with the news that there's a bug and he's going to fix it soon.

My Chromebook won't work with the EX right now. It had been early in November but not now. It is failing with a USB comm error at this point.

I went ahead and d/l Alfa to my old Win7 laptop and was able to use the EX to config the truck using Alfa.

OP
OP
martinoram

martinoram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Forgot to mention, i use my chromebook ! Thx for your help ! So i just have to wait a moment for it to work ?!?! Can you let me informed when it will be fix ?!?!

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Forgot to mention, i use my chromebook ! Thx for your help ! So i just have to wait a moment for it to work ?!?! Can you let me informed when it will be fix ?!?!
Sorry, I don't know any more than what I have relayed in my first post here.

I don't think you can wait for it to work. We just have to wait for the fix to the Alfa s/w to come out. He told me he's working on the fix in an email.

The developer told me that he's working on the fix. No timetable given. But he's on it!

If I find out more, I will provide an update. For the record, I am in no way associated with Alfa, so I am not their spokesman nor should I speak for them.

OP
OP
martinoram

martinoram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry, I don't know any more than what I have relayed in my first post here.

I don't think you can wait for it to work. We just have to wait for the fix to the Alfa s/w to come out. He told me he's working on the fix in an email.

The developer told me that he's working on the fix. No timetable given. But he's on it!

If I find out more, I will provide an update. For the record, I am in no way associated with Alfa, so I am not their spokesman nor should I speak for them.
Perfect! Thx for the info! At least i'm almost sure its not the truck,bypass or obdlink ! Thanks for the help !!

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Perfect! Thx for the info! At least i'm almost sure its not the truck,bypass or obdlink ! Thanks for the help !!
Most likely it's the current rev of Alfa that is the issue here.

You can always download another obd reader s/w to your Android, like OBDlink, to test your hardware. It's not nearly as capable as Alfa but at least it will allow you to connect to your truck to test the EX etc.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If you updated the version, download one version older. I use Windows version, was bug with it as well. So I just used older version.

OP
OP
martinoram

martinoram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most likely it's the current rev of Alfa that is the issue here.

You can always download another obd reader s/w to your Android, like OBDlink, to test your hardware. It's not nearly as capable as Alfa but at least it will allow you to connect to your truck to test the EX etc.
I just install the app obdlink and everything was good so the alfaobd app is really my problem ! Just have to wait to be fix ! Thanks again ! P.s. sorry for my english i come from quebec ahah

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I just install the app obdlink and everything was good so the alfaobd app is really my problem ! Just have to wait to be fix ! Thanks again ! P.s. sorry for my english i come from quebec ahah
You got the idea across. :)

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Or, if the fix for the AlfaOBD software doesn't come soon enough, you can most likely download an older version to use. :cool:

OP
OP
martinoram

martinoram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Or, if the fix for the AlfaOBD software doesn't come soon enough, you can most likely download an older version to use. :cool:

Do you know i can do with a chromebook ?!?! The app is on the play store

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you know i can do with a chromebook ?!?! The app is on the play store

Sorry, I don't know about a Chrome book.

I have a Windows 10 PC and have no experience with the Chrome operating system.

Does the Chromebook use the Windows or Android version of AlfaOBD?

If the latest version has issues that require a fix, a previous version of AlfaOBD should still function adequately, regardless if it uses Windows or Android.

It wouldn't take much effort to download the previous version of AlfaOBD, have it authorized and run a few tests.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sorry, I don't know about a Chrome book.

I have a Windows 10 PC and have no experience with the Chrome operating system.

Does the Chromebook use the Windows or Android version of AlfaOBD?

If the latest version has issues that require a fix, a previous version of AlfaOBD should still function adequately, regardless if it uses Windows or Android.

It wouldn't take much effort to download the previous version of AlfaOBD, have it authorized and run a few tests.

It uses ChromeOS, which is Linux Based, and can use Play Store and Android Apps.
technically you can get "some" windows apps working, but usually have buy another software to do it.

He can try to contact Alexey @ [email protected] But he doesn't have much for people skills :)

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It uses ChromeOS, which is Linux Based, and can use Play Store and Android Apps.
technically you can get "some" windows apps working, but usually have buy another software to do it.

He can try to contact Alexey @ [email protected] But he doesn't have much for people skills :)

Thanks for the info about the Chrome OS.

I wouldn't ever trust adapting a Windows based program to function correctly in another environment when using to interface with yet a third system, that could have a catastrophic outcome.

Alexey has already said he's working on it. Why not just try the the previous version of AlfaOBD?

It will function correctly or not, pretty simple to test.

OP
OP
martinoram

martinoram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info about the Chrome OS.

I wouldn't ever trust adapting a Windows based program to function correctly in another environment when using to interface with yet a third system, that could have a catastrophic outcome.

Alexey has already said he's working on it. Why not just try the the previous version of AlfaOBD?

It will function correctly or not, pretty simple to test.

I could not install a older version with android play store ! When you buy and install the app, it always install the newest version , and with a chrome you cannot install other app than what's in the play store

OP
OP
martinoram

martinoram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alexey just answer me :
Hello,

Sorry for the bug introduced with a new USB driver used in 2.3.5.0. Just uploaded a new update with the fix, it should be available in a few hours.

Regards,
Alexey Chernikov
AlfaOBD

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Alexey just answer me :
Hello,

Sorry for the bug introduced with a new USB driver used in 2.3.5.0. Just uploaded a new update with the fix, it should be available in a few hours.

Regards,
Alexey Chernikov
AlfaOBD
Yay! Life will be good again. :)

Perhaps this USB bug is why my trusty old BT OBD interface quit working with Alfa.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I could not install a older version with android play store ! When you buy and install the app, it always install the newest version , and with a chrome you cannot install other app than what's in the play store

Yes, Android is evil and the Playstore is worse.

I don't want to corrupt you but there are other methods of obtaining Android apps besides the Playstore.

I used to sideload my Samsung tablet because there was no other method to load APK files besides the Playstore, back then.

With today's technology, that's all changed.

You can configure Android phones to accept APK files from other sources and that opens up endless possibilities.

I wouldn't suggest attempting it until you learn the safe approach to avoid nasty code but loading old apps is just 1 of the benefits and avoiding the Playstore. :cool:

And, Microsoft does not own my Windows PCs either, I do. I pick over the offerings for updates and reject most of them. My phones and PCs are locked down and only get the updates that I allow. :cool:

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yes, Android is evil and the Playstore is worse.

I don't want to corrupt you but there are other methods of obtaining Android apps besides the Playstore.

I used to sideload my Samsung tablet because there was no other method to load APK files besides the Playstore, back then.

With today's technology, that's all changed.

You can configure Android phones to accept APK files from other sources and that opens up endless possibilities.

I wouldn't suggest attempting it until you learn the safe approach to avoid nasty code but loading old apps is just 1 of the benefits and avoiding the Playstore. :cool:

And, Microsoft does not own my Windows PCs either, I do. I pick over the offerings for updates and reject most of them. My phones and PCs are locked down and only get the updates that I allow. :cool:

It is possible to boot the Chromebooks into "developer mode" and gain the ability to load .apk files from other non Google approved sources. Of course, the process is littered with warnings about potential damage, unstable s/w, floods, shark tornadoes etc etc.

I performed the process on my old original Chromebook and all went well. No shark tornadoes anyway. Someday I might do the same to my main battle Chromebook.

Awaiting AlfaOBD to update on the evil Play store.