AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Public Service Announcement

If you're one of these people, I would like to take a moment and plead with you to please stop stealing from the developer. The below screenshots are taken from Facebook this morning with a gentleman trying to defend someone with the "renting" out a tablet that has AlfaOBD software on it and profiting from someone else's work. I know there are people out there that help others out (they do not charge) and I also know others that have bought the software after making sure something would work for them. However, to profit off someone else's work who has been as helpful and gracious as the developer has been in the past year getting everything working for us for as LITTLE as this has cost is simply a slap in the face to both him and all those who have helped out.

I know for some of you out there this doesn't seem like a big deal. I for one have known Android developers and the many hours they spend between working on their apps and trying to make everyone happy. Most of them do it because it is something they love to do and it also helps put food on their tables and pay their light bills.

I for one would like AlfaOBD development to continue to get better but it is **** like this has made some developers walk away entirely... I hesitated even saying anything at all but like I said I'm hoping I will be able to get through to the ones doing this and bring a stop to it before we potentially lose an amazing app or at the very least get it VIN locked but honestly, maybe that isn't a bad idea either.

IMG-6134.PNG IMG-6135.PNG IMG-6136.PNG IMG-6137.PNG

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The app costs so little in the grand scheme of things, I cant believe people would even bother "renting". 50 bux plus a cheap tablet or phone (and thats assuming you dont already have the tablet or phone, which most people probably do anyway)

This is different than the 500.00+ setup needed to use the AE tool from forever ago...people rent those out too, and I still dont necessarily agree (like you said....the developer deserves to be compensated for the work).

But a 50.00 app? Just buy the darn thing. You'll still save money over whatever the dealer wants to overcharge you for 10 minutes of work.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Although in the past with BMW (free software) I would do this type of thing, on paid apps I would not suggest it. I did in fact do this with my AE tool a few times, but this was hardware based and so little was done with it, I used it to cover the cost of what they charge to enable so few things. At the end of the day its one developer backing into what someone else has done. Its how much profit do you want to pay to get the tool to work.

In a case like AphaOBD you do not need much to do what we have done so far, I have done all my changes thus far with a very very cheap obd dongle, not the MX. This isnt saying for all options Ill be capable, but everything Ive done thus far. I know there are options that will require a wiring change that the MX is capable, but so far I haven't done those.

For the 2018 or newer guys, like myself the $50 capable isnt a huge setback by any means.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
^^^^
I totally agree with this.
It's not like the $550 AutoEnginuity or $1300 Autel tools that were out of most people's range, didn't work well and we're under/not supported by the developers at all and potentially messed up your truck.

M² Mods.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, the fact their message mentioned "$1000" means they are just responding to bs internet hype instead of actually looking to see how much it would cost.

My BAFX adapter worked just fine to change BCM settings and probably would have worked fine for the RF hub too, that adapter cost me about 20 bux. Plus 50 for the Alfa s/w is 70.00 total. I have several machines/tablets/phones lying around so that was "free". If I had a 2018 I would need the bypass but I dont know how much that is. Regardless, the total is far away from 1000.00

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

If you're one of these people, I would like to take a moment and plead with you to please stop stealing from the developer. The below screenshots are taken from Facebook this morning with a gentleman trying to defend someone with the "renting" out a tablet that has AlfaOBD software on it and profiting from someone else's work. I know there are people out there that help others out (they do not charge) and I also know others that have bought the software after making sure something would work for them. However, to profit off someone else's work who has been as helpful and gracious as the developer has been in the past year getting everything working for us for as LITTLE as this has cost is simply a slap in the face to both him and all those who have helped out.

I know for some of you out there this doesn't seem like a big deal. I for one have known Android developers and the many hours they spend between working on their apps and trying to make everyone happy. Most of them do it because it is something they love to do and it also helps put food on their tables and pay their light bills.

I for one would like AlfaOBD development to continue to get better but it is **** like this has made some developers walk away entirely... I hesitated even saying anything at all but like I said I'm hoping I will be able to get through to the ones doing this and bring a stop to it before we potentially lose an amazing app or at the very least get it VIN locked but honestly, maybe that isn't a bad idea either.

I'm an active member on the Cummins forum and I have not seen anyone renting out a Alfa setup. There is a guy that rents out a Autel device and cable to do the TPMS change and he does charge money. Up until Alfa that was the only way to do it and that device was $1K+

I may be wrong but I am pretty sure that is what they are refering to?

Ducatista1989

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Limited EcoDiesel
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Hey guys.

I solved my issues with the trailer brake controller (ITBM)

I removed fuse F87 10A when I deleted my air suspension. I was alerted by another forum member that it may control something else. Sure enough. It did. Popped it back in and all is well. Gain is adjustable and controller is working fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like I said, I was hesitant on saying anything at all or even getting into some kind of FB battle with this moron but in the past few months, it has become more an more common to see and hear of these kind of posts. I simply don't want to **** off the developer. Who I am in no affiliation with other than a few emails to let him know how much he is appreciated over here and by helping with information that would be useful to further app development.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Like I said, I was hesitant on saying anything at all or even getting into some kind of FB battle with this moron but in the past few months, it has become more an more common to see and hear of these kind of posts. I simply don't want to **** off the developer. Who I am in no affiliation with other than a few emails to let him know how much he is appreciated over here and by helping with information that would be useful to further app development.

I'm 100% on board with you and if I see someone over there (or anywhere) trying to be a cheap a$$ or make money off it I will call them out for sure.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I agree more that we sell the more he will pay attention to us Ram guys. I need him to do DRL brightness! I dont want my factory LEDs running at full burn all day.

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree more that we sell the more he will pay attention to us Ram guys. I need him to do DRL brightness! I dont want my factory LEDs running at full burn all day.
I'm not sure if anyone has messed with setting the target voltage? Pretty sure the setting is there if I'm not confused with something else??

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel

I am assuming you have projector headlights. With these settings the truck will actually use the dedicated DRL feature and run the turn signals at a reduced voltage. You can verify this because when you hit the turn signal the light will get brighter then drop out the DRL and start flashing the turn.

These settings worked great for me when I was running my factory projectors.

CBC I/O right dedicated DRL Lamp output preset - YES
CBC I/O left dedicated DRL lamp output present - YES
CBC DRL config -OPTIONAL DRL
CBC features - DRL lamp location- DEDICATED
CBC features- DRL dropout enable- YES
CBC features LED dedicated DRL present- YES
ECU Config- DRL customer settings enable/disable- YES
Daytime Running light CSM- YES

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I'm an active member on the Cummins forum and I have not seen anyone renting out a Alfa setup. There is a guy that rents out a Autel device and cable to do the TPMS change and he does charge money. Up until Alfa that was the only way to do it and that device was $1K+

I may be wrong but I am pretty sure that is what they are refering to?

I could have swore that I had seen someone at least toss the idea out about renting there tablet and adapter on the actual forum. But I want to say that most who are active on the cumminsforum Facebook don't really do much on the actual forum. I follow the cumminsforum Facebook account more for the humor.

I'm not defending the guy who wants to rent out his alphaobd in any means (I definitely don't want Alexey to pull the software or stop updating it)but here's something to think about. Companies profit off of others software all the time, for example navrepair and infotainment most likely didn't create their own software to change mileage and hours on our clusters. And they profit from someone's software. The cheapest software that is known to work with our trucks is speedoshop.com jprog obd2 adapter and that will run you $700. From there it's sky rockets.

Vin locking is a good idea but have the ability to have like 5 vins attached.

The lack of knowledge on the cumminsforum Facebook page is astonishing. It doesn't surprise me that someone is throwing around $1000 + number and not the truth that for a minimum of $65 (for pre 18 truck's and already having a android device) you can get alphaobd and a obd2 reader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I could have swore that I had seen someone at least toss the idea out about renting there tablet and adapter on the actual forum. But I want to say that most who are active on the cumminsforum Facebook don't really do much on the actual forum. I follow the cumminsforum Facebook account more for the humor.

I'm not defending the guy who wants to rent out his alphaobd in any means (I definitely don't want Alexey to pull the software or stop updating it)but here's something to think about. Companies profit off of others software all the time, for example navrepair and infotainment most likely didn't create their own software to change mileage and hours on our clusters. And they profit from someone's software. The cheapest software that is known to work with our trucks is speedoshop.com jprog obd2 adapter and that will run you $700. From there it's sky rockets.

The lack of knowledge on the cumminsforum Facebook page is astonishing. It doesn't surprise me that someone is throwing around $1000 + number and not the truth that for a minimum of $65 (for pre 18 truck's and already having a android device) you can get alphaobd and a obd2 reader.

Vin locking to a set amount of vins is a great idea. I’d need 4 between myself and my father.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys.

I solved my issues with the trailer brake controller (ITBM)

I removed fuse F87 10A when I deleted my air suspension. I was alerted by another forum member that it may control something else. Sure enough. It did. Popped it back in and all is well. Gain is adjustable and controller is working fine.

Have you managed meanwhile to get rid of the air suspension in the AlfaOBD so that you don’t get the message on the evic each time?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you managed meanwhile to get rid of the air suspension in the AlfaOBD so that you don’t get the message on the evic each time?

If not @Ducatista1989 I know someone here has done that, most likely listed in this thread somewhere. Someone on the Z forum also followed suit and was able to successfully rid their truck of air suspension :)

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Interesting, I didn't even know there was a cummins forum FB page? I'm only on the forum and pretty much only in the gen 4 diesel section. With all the drama that comes along with facebook I'm almost afraid to go look at that page, I can only imagine Lol.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Yeah the replies and memes are hilarious most times

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If not @Ducatista1989 I know someone here has done that, most likely listed in this thread somewhere. Someone on the Z forum also followed suit and was able to successfully rid their truck of air suspension :)

One guy tried here but did not managed at the first attempt. He was then told to check another location in AlfaOD. He never replied if he succeeded.

Thanks for the info on Z! I will check there (as I may one day get rid of the air suspension if I have some problems with it)

Ramit2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

View attachment 156713 View attachment 156714 View attachment 156715 View attachment 156716

I think this is kind of a gray area. I personally have charged someone to make changes to their truck with AlfaOBD, my obd2 link and my tablet. I don't go around renting it out but I don't think there is anything wrong with making a few bucks on someone else's software that I paid full price for. My time is worth something and most of us have put a lot into figuring this stuff out, some of you way more than me. Some people don't understand how this software works and don't want to mess with it. Same guys that will go to the dealer for flashes. Just my honest opinion