AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Embrod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought that I would post my results of alfaOBD over the last couple of weeks. I recently purchased the software and have been testing a few things, in particular the front headlights, fogs, global up/down. My truck is a 2015 sport with the projector headlights and standard halogen fogs. I have been running 35W HID’s in the projectors from diode dynamics for about 3 years, pretty much trouble free, and the stock halogen bulbs in the fogs. I have tried a couple different sets of HIDs in the fogs, and even the ones that I had no issues with out of my 2014 big horn , but they will not stay lit in this truck. They turn off after about 10-15 minutes, so I just put the halogens back in. I have also been having trouble with one of my diode dynamics low beams recently where one will occasionally turn off and I am presented with the low beam out display. Turning off the truck and and back on generally corrects this immediately.

I thought that I would try manipulating a few settings with AlfaOBD to see if this could be corrected. Unfortunately even selecting “front HID headlamps” had no effect, pro or con and I still have one light that occasionally faults out. I tried manipulating the regulated voltage for each one slightly up to 14.4V with no noticeable change so I set it back to the 14.0V setting. I also tried selecting LED fog lamps thinking that the HID fogs would stay lit and reduce some flickering, but the result was the lights flashing and turning off almost immediately and error codes coming in for each light “short to ground”. Turning LED fog lights to “no” and clearing the fault allows the fog lights to work again, but now flicker and go out after 10 minutes or so. These do have CanBUS adapters installed at each ballast as well.

So I am kind of at a loss with the lights. I have been thinking of replacing the diode dynamic HID low beams with the Hikari Ultra 9012’s, and the lower model Hikari 9006 LED’s For my fogs but don’t want to waste the money if they won’t work. Others have had better success than me, but that is what this testing is all about.

Global down works great, although I don’t really see the value, and global up does not work. High beams with fog light dropout “no” works fine.

Noneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie. 35's 2 inch level. Raceme. Fully deleted 5 inch FlowPro Exh
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had been having an issue with my driver's low beam bulb not turning on all the time. If I turned them off then back on, it would light. (I've been running morimoto 55w hids for a few years with no problems prior to this in my low beam OEM projectors) I recently replaced the low bulbs and all good now. I turned on HID with Alfa for lows even though I wasn't having any issues with flickering.
I was running sliverstar halogens in my fogs, and recently changed them to LED and they run fine. I can't help really concerning your issue with fogs but it may be time to put new bulbs in your low beams.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Embrod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What LEDs are you running in your fogs? How do they compare to the halogens?

diboblo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had been having an issue with my driver's low beam bulb not turning on all the time. If I turned them off then back on, it would light. (I've been running morimoto 55w hids for a few years with no problems prior to this in my low beam OEM projectors) I recently replaced the low bulbs and all good now. I turned on HID with Alfa for lows even though I wasn't having any issues with flickering.
I was running sliverstar halogens in my fogs, and recently changed them to LED and they run fine. I can't help really concerning your issue with fogs but it may be time to put new bulbs in your low beams.

My OEM HIDs were giving me similar intermittent failures, after 3 years of trouble free service.

I thought it may be the ballast (driver side was worse), so I ordered one and installed it. When I fired up the lights, that damned thing was still out.

I poked around the fuse box and located the headlight fuses... both were badly burned and distorted, causing intermittent contact and thus... my headlight issues.

2667034d9df4529b5da89326acb2714b.jpg

Sounds odd, but check your fuses...

Bob

Embrod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh wow. Good catch... I will be sure to check the fuses.

I figure that if am going to pull the grill and lights off in order to change the bulb or ballast that’s tucked behind, then I may make the change to LED’s. I don’t think that LEDs will really be an improvement over HIDs in actual “light up the road” but may be less prone to faults, and do draw less current. I do like the intent on/full brightness aspect though.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My OEM HIDs were giving me similar intermittent failures, after 3 years of trouble free service.

I thought it may be the ballast (driver side was worse), so I ordered one and installed it. When I fired up the lights, that damned thing was still out.

I poked around the fuse box and located the headlight fuses... both were badly burned and distorted, causing intermittent contact and thus... my headlight issues.

2667034d9df4529b5da89326acb2714b.jpg

Sounds odd, but check your fuses...

Bob

[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I have been thinking of replacing the diode dynamic HID low beams with the Hikari Ultra 9012’s, and the lower model Hikari 9006 LED’s For my fogs but don’t want to waste the money if they won’t work. Others have had better success than me, but that is what this testing is all about.

I have a 2016 that came with quads. I switched to a projector headlight, Innovited H1 55w lows, and Hikari LED in the fogs. Alpha made everything work without flickering.

590c71d17d76a4105f46b517ab84c712.jpg

Embrod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those fogs Look great. Glad to hear that AlfaOBD worked . I’m going to stick with the HIDs in my low beams for now, but will swap out the bulbs as I have a new set kicking around. I ended up placing an order for a set of LEDs for my fogs. I’ll post back once they’re in.

BTW I checked the fuse box under the hood of my 2015 and couldn’t find “low beam headlight” fuses like diboblo had recommended.

Mark Jacoby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hoping somebody can help I have a 2016 Dodge ram 1500 with a hemi 5.7 I'm not sure what I did wrong but my intermediate wiper stopped working where can I go to change that back

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Hoping somebody can help I have a 2016 Dodge ram 1500 with a hemi 5.7 I'm not sure what I did wrong but my intermediate wiper stopped working where can I go to change that back

If you have your initial data log you can compare that to your current and see what's different. If you don't there are a list of stock logs in post 1 you can compare to.

You can also check

CBC Features-intermittent wiper states

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

Ramsportrocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

i was having intermittent issues with my passengers side.. ended up replacing the harness that runs inside the assembly and havent had an issue since.. YMMV

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
If I have quad headlights, and fog lights (LED) and my control knob is Auto/fog/lights... is it possible to have auto become 'driving lights' with Alpha??? Or maybe I should ask, is it possible to 'define' what comes on in the Auto position???

UrWifesFavorite

Built to Grip & Ready to Rip
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT
If I have quad headlights, and fog lights (LED) and my control knob is Auto/fog/lights... is it possible to have auto become 'driving lights' with Alpha??? Or maybe I should ask, is it possible to 'define' what comes on in the Auto position???

Yes You can configure which ever You Want to be Your DRLs with AlfaOBD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins

I don't believe you can

dwalk19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
Hey guys I'm trying to change my lifetime/engine hours on the newly installed 7" evic,, keeps saying "procedure failed",,, any ideas,,, mileage work fined

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Hey guys I'm trying to change my lifetime/engine hours on the newly installed 7" evic,, keeps saying "procedure failed",,, any ideas,,, mileage work fined

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Verify that the hour's hasn't changed. It seems although the app will say it failed it indeed did change the hour's

Steve Tokash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Having an issue with my led parking lamps. I had a set in there and changed 2 settings in alfa ( i dont recall exactly which 2) to led and warnings and hyperflash went away and all was right with the world. Recently one led went bad i swapped both out for a new set and hyperflash came back on the right turn and lamp out error comes up. I have turned both setting "off" the on and it still happens. Mainly only when i have the lights on. If the lights are off during the day it works fine no errors or anything. Any thoughts? I did just get a plow kit installed on the truck and this seems to be about the time that alll this started so maybe the install has something to do with it???