AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I really hate to ask questions here but I don't have the time to read all 1148 pages so here it goes:

Is it better to utilize Windows or Android?

Are there any other tried and true Bluetooth OBD adapters that are cheaper?

Jbyron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really hate to ask questions here but I don't have the time to read all 1148 pages so here it goes:

Android, as it will be tied to your google store account and can move devices. A Windows license will be tied to that one laptop.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Android, as it will be tied to your google store account and can move devices. A Windows license will be tied to that one laptop.

It also seems that the Windows version is behind the Android version.

The vast majority of the users in this forum, maybe even almost all users here, are using the Android version.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

I use both. The Android version is easier to use if all you are doing is the normal popular changes. The windows version is far more capable, though.
If you want to be 100% sure that the OBD adapter that you use will work for every single change you can possibly make, then just get the OBD Link MX (it does NOT have to be the MX+).

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use both. The Android version is easier to use if all you are doing is the normal popular changes. The windows version is far more capable, though.

That’s interesting! [emoji106] (and I thought that the Android was the most current version as it is also updated/ upgraded regularly)

What can the Windows version do that the Android can’t?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That’s interesting! [emoji106] (and I thought that the Android was the most current version as it is also updated/ upgraded regularly)

What can the Windows version do that the Android can’t?
It allows you to switch over to other vehicle’s BCMs to force settings to populate that Android doesn’t, because it only automatically connects to your model year BCM. A few examples are, when I installed the 12” radio screen, I needed to to enable the DCSD module by connecting as a Pacifica. When I installed 2019+ HD tow mirrors with 2019+ door modules, I needed to connect as a 2019 BCM to be able to make the power convex mirrors work. Another member and I are trying to get surround view working, and need to connect as a 2019 BCM to get some of the surround view and digital camera settings to show up.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It allows you to switch over to other vehicle’s BCMs to force settings to populate that Android doesn’t, because it only automatically connects to your model year BCM. A few examples are, when I installed the 12” radio screen, I needed to to enable the DCSD module by connecting as a Pacifica. When I installed 2019+ HD tow mirrors with 2019+ door modules, I needed to connect as a 2019 BCM to be able to make the power convex mirrors work. Another member and I are trying to get surround view working, and need to connect as a 2019 BCM to get some of the surround view and digital camera settings to show up.

Interesting [emoji106]

I wonder why the Android doesn’t do that? [emoji15]

RLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2017 1500 and looking to install oem remote start. When I log into Alpha it shows up as 2016. Will I need to replace my Rf hub? Also when I reset the hub will I lose all the changes I’ve made with alpha??? I’ve made quite a few and u really do not want to have to go back n start over. Thanks in advance. Much appreciated.

RLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2017 1500 and looking to install oem remote start. When I log into Alpha it shows up as 2016. Will I need to replace my Rf hub? Also when I reset the hub will I lose all the changes I’ve made with alpha??? I’ve made quite a few and u really do not want to have to go back n start over. Thanks in advance. Much appreciated.

Also
This may have been addressed but couldn’t find it. Has anyone tried to adjust / remove the speed limit governor on the 1500’s with Alpha? I received this response when I emailed Alpha.

Try the "VehConfig 5 - Speed Limiter Present" and " VehConfig 1 - Maximum Vehicle Speed (0 - 500km/h)".

Scar1331

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Team,

updated my tpms and not cruise won’t come on, has anyone seen this before ?

Hanover Fiste

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 SLT, 2018 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi

I used the Windows version until my laptop's keyboard decided to quit. So, I had to get an Android tablet solely for use with AlfaOBD. Thankfully the developer gives discounts to those who have one version and then buys the other.

Most of the demonstrations on Youtube, etc. use the Android version.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
I know in the beginning of this thread its 2013 and up but... I have a 2012 sport,a late 2012 that has some 2013 features.
No, I haven't read through the 1148 pages of knowledge & glory for time saving. If ALPHA OBD will work on my 2012 then ill have plenty to read and catch up on

Yes - it works fine on a 2012. Actually the software works back to 2005 - 2006 on Ram's, it came out way before the 2013's were even built, and it wasn't even designed for our truckz. It was targeted toward Fiat's and Alfa Romeos, (1994 and up), and someone discovered that since FCA bought Chrysler, they share the same modules . Not sure how it was determined it was only for 2013 and up, but's that's not accurate

OnyxDragon87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0L
You need to get those settings back first. Since you upgraded to the premium cluster, you need to send them to the radio. Start by changing ECU Config 4 IPC configuration feature present to “no”.
Are you using the idatalink maestro with the alpine radio? If not, you must have the maestro to get the vehicle settings menus on the radio.
With the windows version, you might be able to get the CustSetMenu 1 list to show up by connecting to your BCM normally, then switch to advanced mode and switch the body computer to MY2014.
So I was able to open the 2014 menu and see the CustSetMenu 1 list. When I try to change Auto High Beam to yes, Alfa tells me this option is not supported by the computer modification. Any more ideas?

*Oh and by the way, my radio is an ALPINE ILX-F259, which sadly for me is not supported by datalink maestro rr. If I were to have connected the maestro rr, I would have no HVAC controls because I swapped my HVAC from MTC to ATC.
That being said, any want an ALPINE ILX-F259 Halo 9 radio? It's pretty sweet, lol

Last edited:

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
M.jGood Evening to All in Alfaobd land,

Unfortunately for you all I am another newbie in this land. I have managed to get my tablet and OBDMX + to play nice together, but will not connect to any module.
I have tried 13-17 power net and 16-17 power net, and I still get the same result, BCM not connected. I touch the connect bar and still says not connected.
Also tried down loading my factory settings to my tablet, keeps saying need to sign in. I have selected my email by still says to sign in.
Oh, and no idea where to use the 4 digit code.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brian[/QUOTE]

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
M.jGood Evening to All in Alfaobd land,

Unfortunately for you all I am another newbie in this land. I have managed to get my tablet and OBDMX + to play nice together, but will not connect to any module.
I have tried 13-17 power net and 16-17 power net, and I still get the same result, BCM not connected. I touch the connect bar and still says not connected.
Also tried down loading my factory settings to my tablet, keeps saying need to sign in. I have selected my email by still says to sign in.
Oh, and no idea where to use the 4 digit code.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brian
[/QUOTE]First question is what year RAM do you have? And welcome to the thread brother.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
1 -You have to make a blue tooth connection before Alfa can connect.
2 - You have to be connected to download any factory settings

This may help:

These setup instructions are from Windows 10. Android devices would be similar.

Begin at the “Start” header, “Regular Mode”:
Brand: “Dodge/Ram”
Model: “Ram 1500 (DS/DX)”
Function: “Body Computer”
ECUs: Select appropriate vehicle year
Begin at the “Active Diagnostic” header:
Select "Car configuration” (last or bottom option)
OR -- Begin at the “Start” header, “Advanced Mode”:
Device: “Body Computer Chrysler”
Modification: “RAM 1500/2500/3500/4500/5500”
Interface: “OBDKey USB/BT”
Com Port: “3”
Select: “Connect”
Then return to the “Active Diagnostic” header:

Note: If using OBDLink MX interface set the baud rate to 115200 bps.

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1 -You have to make a blue tooth connection before Alfa can connect.
2 - You have to be connected to download any factory settings

This may help:

These setup instructions are from Windows 10. Android devices would be similar.

Begin at the “Start” header, “Regular Mode”:
Brand: “Dodge/Ram”
Model: “Ram 1500 (DS/DX)”
Function: “Body Computer”
ECUs: Select appropriate vehicle year
Begin at the “Active Diagnostic” header:
OR -- Begin at the “Start” header, “Advanced Mode”:
Device: “Body Computer Chrysler”
Modification: “RAM 1500/2500/3500/4500/5500”
Interface: “OBDKey USB/BT”
Com Port: “3”
Select: “Connect”
Then return to the “Active Diagnostic” header:

Note: If using OBDLink MX interface set the baud rate to 115200 bps.
Or the easy way lol....

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry about that, 16, 2500 5.7. Ok, going outside to try the above advice. Hope I can get this to work. Just had 35 12.50 18 Falken Wildpeak M/T's installed on stock rims.