AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
AlfaOBD is an app you can buy, the MX+ is the dongle you can use with AlfaOBD. 2018 and newer also need a security bypass.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there a write up on how to program proximity fob’s on a 5th gen?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Damnit Jimmy that’s not what I wanted to hear!!!
The fobs don’t have anything to do with proximity, though, and all 5th gens are push button start standard. You would only need a new fob for remote start and remote tailgate release. All 5th gen RF Hubs are already capable of remote start. Remote tailgate release doesn’t require any programming or sales codes, it will automatically work once it recognizes a fob with the release button.
You can program mileage on the 5th gens, but you have to enter a value that is 62% more than your target mileage. Programming hours on the 5th gen with AlfaOBD doesn’t work.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The fobs don’t have anything to do with proximity, though, and all 5th gens are push button start standard. You would only need a new fob for remote start and remote tailgate release. All 5th gen RF Hubs are already capable of remote start. Remote tailgate release doesn’t require any programming or sales codes, it will automatically work once it recognizes a fob with the release button.
You can program mileage on the 5th gens, but you have to enter a value that is 62% more than your target mileage. Programming hours on the 5th gen with AlfaOBD doesn’t work.
So I have to have the dealer add the new remote start fobs and I’m good to go?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I have to have the dealer add the new remote start fobs and I’m good to go?
As long as the correct hood latch is in place and wired to the BCM, exactly like the 4th gens.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As long as the correct hood latch is in place and wired to the BCM, exactly like the 4th gens.
all I did on my 4th gen was change the face on the fob, didn’t even get new ones. It doesn’t look like the 5th gen fobs have the ability to change the face, that part looks sealed. The correct latch is in place, just sucks we can’t program FOBs ughhh

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
all I did on my 4th gen was change the face on the fob, didn’t even get new ones. It doesn’t look like the 5th gen fobs have the ability to change the face, that part looks sealed.
In order for remote start to work, the RF Hub needs to see that the hood is not ajar. If your current hood latch doesn’t not have a two wire connector plugged into it, you’ll need to add the correct hood latch and wiring. If your current hood latch does have a connector plugged into it, you’ll need to verify that there is a purple/blue wire present in BCM connector C1/A position 11

Rktman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Adding HDC works just by adding the switch and using Alfaobd on HDs at least. Awesome. Need confirmation it works on 1500's.
Thanks!
Adding HDC works just by adding the switch and using Alfaobd on HDs at least. Awesome. Need confirmation it works on 1500's.
Thanks!
I have never used alfaobd so I'm a little nervous about it. Could you tell me the procedures that I need to follow in order to program HDC using alfaobd? Thanks, Randy

Rktman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I stand corrected! I had the e-brake on [emoji2361]
It works. Can't adjust the speed though. 0.6 mph is a slow crawl lol View attachment 420718

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have never used alfaobd so I'm a little nervous about it. Could you tell me the procedures that I need to follow in order to program HDC using alfaobd? Thanks, Randy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently tried programming a previously used key fob from a different truck, same year ram 1500 2013 and I get the error that says condition not correct off/lock, I followed the instructions to a tea and have the "new" key fob that I want to program from the different truck in the off position when trying to program it but get that error message, any ideas??

Attachments

• 298D48AB-7EC3-41CB-AFDF-73F3983D90E5.jpeg
    298D48AB-7EC3-41CB-AFDF-73F3983D90E5.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 10

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I recently tried programming a previously used key fob from a different truck, same year ram 1500 2013 and I get the error that says condition not correct off/lock, I followed the instructions to a tea and have the "new" key fob that I want to program from the different truck in the off position when trying to program it but get that error message, any ideas??
A previously used keyfob cannot be programmed to a new truck. You need an unused one or one that has been reset by a locksmith. Alpha cannot do the reset, the process requires special hardware.

-K

pjcodner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am new to this and I am looking to make some changes to my 2015 Ram 2500 using the AlfaOBD software. I have a question regarding the OBDLink device that I will need to go with the software. Do I need to get the MX+ or will the LX version work as well? Looks like the MX+ supports IOS and the LX only supports Android and Windows. Doesn't look like they make the MX anymore just the MX+.

Also is there any concerns with using Bluetooth connection as opposed to usb? A friend said I should do usb in case I drop Bluetooth while writing changes. Anyone have any thoughts or concerns

Thanks for the help I have a lot of reading to do before I make any changes.

Paul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A previously used keyfob cannot be programmed to a new truck. You need an unused one or one that has been reset by a locksmith. Alpha cannot do the reset, the process requires special hardware.

-K
Thanks for the reply! Yeah dumb me, I bought a new one now and going to use the shell of the previous key

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Does this Alfaobd work on the older gen 4 trucks (2010), I'm wanting to do some headlight improvements and don't want to have to add resistors and such to keep the new bulbs from flickering or throwing codes.