AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
I saw this come up before and hoping maybe I'm doing something wrong but I can't get the RFH pin to come up when using AlphaODB on my 2018 3500. I have the bypass installed and just did the ATC upgrade with no issues. When I hit the start button to get the code nothing happens at all on the screen. There's no error code or anything showing that it's working on it. I tried with the key out, key in but not turned, key turned to right just before starting the car. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Maybe this feature just doesn't work on HD trucks or newer ones?

I also noticed that it comes up as 2019 when it connects to RFH but my truck is a 2018, maybe that has something to do with it?

I'll head to my local dealer to get it but was just hoping get it myself. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Richmond2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New guy here, some help would be appreciated.
2014 Ram2500 4x4, I'm running recently purchased AlfaOBD (not the demo) on an Android tablet with an OBDLink MX+. Connects and seems to pull up the Body control module fine. However when I connect to the BCM and click the little car icon at the bottom of the AlfoOBD screen I get the "Active Diagnostics" menu with only a list of diagnostic options . Can't change anything, can't even find the DRL category. According to the thread here I should be getting several menus in this screen but only get the one.
Should be getting...
Select a procedure to start > Program Customer Features > select option

Or

Select a Procedure to start > Car Configuration change > select an option

All I get is….

select an option > various tests.

It's probably operator error, but maybe someone can enlighten me.
Thx
H

Back on post #613 in this thread member DJ_Mark appears to have the identical issue. Unfortunately a solu was not posted.
H
third picture "car configuration change" select that then you will find the settings choices

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
I'm looking for someone to upload their BCM settings from a 2014 2500 with a MANUAL trans and Hemi.
Trying to figure out if I can change my BCM to think there is a manual trans in the truck.
Sure appreciate any help. Probably any 4th gen BCM from a manual truck would give me what I need.

spg993tt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In addition to the post Ghost_Ram linked, I pasted below another post I did on this. Hope it helps:

There are 2 PIN codes for your truck. The pin code you want is only 4 digits and its not a rolling code. The other PIN code is 5 digits (one being a letter) and it is a rolling code. You do not want the rolling one.

Be prepared to maybe running into push back by service depts., many will not give you the code. They treat it as being owned by FCA. Usually have better luck at the parts counter in getting your PIN.
evening. Just ran into this post. is this still holding true for the 2019, 2020 and 2021 ( have a 21' PW), is that 4 digit code a rolling code for the 21s? dealer gave it to me yesterday but iv read about it being rolling and i wont be able to monkey with it till monday. also, anyone know if the AlfaOBD Read/Retrieve Pin will work with the 19s, 20s, 21s?

spg993tt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If this is for the 2021 HD Ram in your profile, the PIN can’t be read on a 2019+ HD Ram, and is useless to you anyway. There is no need to reset the RF Hub on a 2019+ like you have to on a 2013-2018. Just change the tire pressure thresholds, and the rf hub will automatically recognize them.
For the ECU verification failed pop up you get, just ignore it and click continue, and carry on like normal. You need to perform the steps outlined for abs initialization routine. In the linked post, the instructions for you will be similar for the tire size change- https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/page-480#post-1941620
hi. thanks for the great info. i have 2021 power wagon/2500. based on your post above, am i correct that you cant 'read pins" on the 2021s., and that infact its not even needed. so basically the instx in the google doc https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xmRu8xsaNc7RfWGd8jNC8mNwualwjXDS/edit# is not exactly right for 2021, as it seems you're saying, you odnt have to do the steps after just puttin gin the new tire circumference Click SELECT PROCEDURE TO START > Select UPDATE PRESSURE THRESHOLDS that is step 1 in the threshold change. step 2 is going into the RF Hub and reset. are you saying we do not at all have to do that second step, or that we do it but ignore the pin entry or errors from pin entry? thx for more direction for us 2021 an2020 machines. thx .

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Can I get someone to explain how I can find my service PIN on my CAN BUS Radio Frequency Hub Module (RFHM) ?

AllData Article

Without going to the dealership what are the other options to retrieve your PIN
Tech Authority ?

Last edited:

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
To change a function through the OBD/CAN BUS controller using a service tool like AlfaOBD
how many times do you need to cycle your key ?

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Can I get someone to explain how I can find my service PIN on my CAN BUS Radio Frequency Hub Module (RFHM) ?

AllData Article

Without going to the dealership what are the other options to retrieve your PIN
Tech Authority ?
If you’re using alphaodb you click on Radio Frequency hub and then at the bottom of the list it’s “read pin”

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I saw this come up before and hoping maybe I'm doing something wrong but I can't get the RFH pin to come up when using AlphaODB on my 2018 3500. I have the bypass installed and just did the ATC upgrade with no issues. When I hit the start button to get the code nothing happens at all on the screen. There's no error code or anything showing that it's working on it. I tried with the key out, key in but not turned, key turned to right just before starting the car. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Maybe this feature just doesn't work on HD trucks or newer ones?

I also noticed that it comes up as 2019 when it connects to RFH but my truck is a 2018, maybe that has something to do with it?

I'll head to my local dealer to get it but was just hoping get it myself. Thanks for any help.

Year and month date determines the production year
with most vehicle manufacturers start their new production years in June of the previous year,
If your vehicle was produced in May for example your vehicle would have been made at the end of the production year.

Joe11191988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Needing some help I done a g56 manual swap on my 2017 ram cummins but I have a ABS light and traction control light on anyone know how to get that fixed with alfaobd I'm new to alfaobd I just got it today thanks

spg993tt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alfaobd question - going to put the bypass harness in later today. question, what function could i do or test to ensure the harness is installed properly, that would hae low impact of whacking something up? or maybe the reverse, what functionality isnt avaialble if the bypass isnt installed? i connected with the mX+ and alfaobd yesterday(not bypass) and could see a bunch of info, read, etc. didnt want to mess with anythig but does stuff get greyed out if no harness, or can you put in the value and it will kick an error? just stepping thru this carefully to not whack out the truck. its my work machine.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Alfaobd question - going to put the bypass harness in later today. question, what function could i do or test to ensure the harness is installed properly, that would hae low impact of whacking something up? or maybe the reverse, what functionality isnt avaialble if the bypass isnt installed? i connected with the mX+ and alfaobd yesterday(not bypass) and could see a bunch of info, read, etc. didnt want to mess with anythig but does stuff get greyed out if no harness, or can you put in the value and it will kick an error? just stepping thru this carefully to not whack out the truck. its my work machine.
If you don't have DRLs already, turning them on is a nice easy one.

-K

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
If you don't have DRLs already, turning them on is a nice easy one.

-K
Which bulbs do the Ram trucks use for DRL? As in do the trucks that have them have a different light housing with a bulb just for DRL?

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Which bulbs do the Ram trucks use for DRL? As in do the trucks that have them have a different light housing with a bulb just for DRL?

If they've been activated at the factory (Usually only on Canadian trucks) they will be the turn signals on Projector style headlights or the low beams at half power on reflector style headlights. If you activate them yourself you can choose which bulb (with some restrictions). They will only be on with the truck in gear and the parking brake OFF, so you will need a second person or a mirror to check them safely.

Here's a reliable video on the process: https://youtu.be/evSvEao_eP8

-K

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
Needing some help I done a g56 manual swap on my 2017 ram cummins but I have a ABS light and traction control light on anyone know how to get that fixed with alfaobd I'm new to alfaobd I just got it today thanks
I'm doing something similar and had asked if anyone could post their BCM setup. Did you swap the ECM, BCM, DTCM and TIPM modules when you did the trans swap? Do you have a 4X4? If so does 4X4 work?

Joe11191988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
No I didn't swap anything electronically not even the wiring harness I just grounded pin number 4 on the 68rfe Trans harness and my tuner switched my files to manual and yes 4 hi and 4 lo work as they should I have the electronic t case no curise control and them two lights on everything else is good iv put about 5,000 miles on it

Joe11191988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I read somewhere that the Vin needs to be put back in the ABS module but idk how to do that on afle obd I'm scared to miss with the afle obd only thing I have done on afle obd is global windows down I don't won't to miss anything up

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
What error codes do you see in the ABS module? Mine says Lost communication with TCM and I have not been able to get rid of it.
I also have the same two lights on. I was hoping someone with a stock manual trans could upload their BCM file so we can see if there are changes to make.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93