AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe B

U.S. Navy Chief
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.4L
I also used their adapter harness to go from quads to projectors, but don't recall having any extra wires.
You can post your log for us to confirm you have the correct settings if you'd like.
Also just to make sure (and I'm sure you already know), the DRLs only activate when the truck is out of park.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The picture is from the install guide, it's the #4 wire in the picture

20180915_135439.jpg

I'll edit from my computer with the log settings.

[EDIT] Added the logs. Look like some of settings didn't take, so I'll go back out and try again.

Attachments

• DRL_Config.pdf
    171.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Joe B

U.S. Navy Chief
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.4L
Update:

Just looked at the full instructions for the DRL wire, says custom apps only.

And it doesn't appear that the DRL CSM and DRL Custom Settings are taking. The app says enabled, but when I output the log, it says not set.

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update:

And it doesn't appear that the DRL CSM and DRL Custom Settings are taking. The app says enabled, but when I output the log, it says not set.

Looks like the DRL Lamp Location is set to "None" as well. Check that one out to make sure it taking. I'm pretty sure the DRLs will still work with without the DRLCSM enabled.

Joe B

U.S. Navy Chief
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.4L
Looks like the DRL Lamp Location is set to "None" as well. Check that one out to make sure it taking. I'm pretty sure the DRLs will still work with without the DRLCSM enabled.

I set it to match what I want the DRL to be with the "Left DRL" and "Right DRL" settings. I pulled just the DRL settings from the new log:

Tested device: Body Control Module MY 2015
2018/09/15 16:47:17.126

Control-Dedicated DRL: No
Daytime Running Lamps: Set
Daytime running lights customer settings menu: Set
DRL Configuration: Optional DRL
DRL Lamp Location: High Beam DRL
DRL Dropout Enable: Set
LED Dedicated DRL Present: Set
DRL customer setting enable/disable: Set
Left Side DRL Voltage Target: 7.0 V
Right Side DRL Voltage Target: 7.0 V

Michael Fendley

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mike...I have a '17 2500, so my mics are in the headliner and not in the mirror. '17 and up Rams have the mics in the headliner. Your '18 should also have the mics in the headliner as well (not in the mirror which is '16 and earlier). Your signature says you have a PW, does your current mirror already have " Auto dim/Assist/911/ UConnect"? If so then the correct part number for upgrading the stock auto dim mirror in your PW to Smart Beam (automatic high beams) in a '17 or newer Ram (no mics in mirror) is 68295862AA (listed as a "CONNECTED" mirror, meaning Assist/911/UConnect). Takes all of 10 minutes to install. No added wiring needed. You will also need a new cover (1YW14DX9AC Lower Cover). This mirror and cover are half the price of the other mirror.

To activate I used the 5 settings for SB listed in post #1 shown under "Auto High Beams". Hope this helps.......
That is helpful. Yes, I have a 2018 Power Wagon, with mics in the headliner.

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I set it to match what I want the DRL to be with the "Left DRL" and "Right DRL" settings. I pulled just the DRL settings from the new log:

Tested device: Body Control Module MY 2015
2018/09/15 16:47:17.126

Control-Dedicated DRL: No
Daytime Running Lamps: Set
Daytime running lights customer settings menu: Set
DRL Configuration: Optional DRL
DRL Lamp Location: High Beam DRL
DRL Dropout Enable: Set
LED Dedicated DRL Present: Set
DRL customer setting enable/disable: Set
Left Side DRL Voltage Target: 7.0 V
Right Side DRL Voltage Target: 7.0 V

Not sure what you mean by "I set it to match what I want the DRL to be with the "Left DRL" and "Right DRL" settings."

Pulled from my 16' config. "LED Dedicated DRL Present: Not set"

Also, others have reported the High Beam DRL not working for them for whatever reason. Test another location.

Sorry to ask, but you followed below?

DRL Configuration
Select “Optional DRL”

DRL Lamp location (several to choose from, high beam, low beam, fog lamp, dedicated and SRT Light Bar) Known working high beam, low beam, turn signal and fog lamp.

DRL Dropout Enabled
Select “yes”

DRL Customer Setting Enable/Disable
Select “yes”

Daytime Running Lights CSM
Select “yes”

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update:

When I spoke with Jeremy some time ago from the retroshop, the "blue" wire for DRL is used when running his switchback option.

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For those wanting to get your High Beams as DRLs, might be worth a try setting it to "Canadian DRL" instead of "Optional".
That was my stock setting and the highbeam DRL was working in the projector housing.

Joe B

U.S. Navy Chief
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.4L
Not sure what you mean by "I set it to match what I want the DRL to be with the "Left DRL" and "Right DRL" settings."

Pulled from my 16' config. "LED Dedicated DRL Present: Not set"

Also, others have reported the High Beam DRL not working for them for whatever reason. Test another location.

Sorry to ask, but you followed below?

DRL Configuration
Select “Optional DRL”

DRL Lamp location (several to choose from, high beam, low beam, fog lamp, dedicated and SRT Light Bar) Known working high beam, low beam, turn signal and fog lamp.

DRL Dropout Enabled
Select “yes”

DRL Customer Setting Enable/Disable
Select “yes”

Daytime Running Lights CSM
Select “yes”

These are the options I mentioned

LEFT DRL Usage: Left DRL
RIGHT DRL Usage: Right DRL

And yes, I followed those steps the first time. I will try another location for the drl lamp location tomorrow

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Those two (along with the others that reference "dedicated" DRLs are for vehicles with separate physical DRLs. Our trucks don't have that, they use parts of the normal headlights (or fogs) as DRLs. Those should remain unset. I'm not certain, but setting them may even keep the DRLs from working, as the BCM may think it's supposed to be using something else.

-K

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
For those wanting to get your High Beams as DRLs, might be worth a try setting it to "Canadian DRL" instead of "Optional".
That was my stock setting and the highbeam DRL was working in the projector housing.

I'll have to give that a try tomorrow, thanks. Were the projectors on your truck there from the factory?

-K

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

And yes, I followed those steps the first time. I will try another location for the drl lamp location tomorrow
Quickly looking through your config to the most recent settings, everything looks correct.

Also mentioned not having the setting for the CSM. You are looking under Settings/Lights/Daytime Running Lights?

IMG-5019.JPG

As mention earlier, the DRLs will only be active when the truck is in reverse, neutral and drive. When in park or if the emergency brake is on, they will not be active.

Joe B

U.S. Navy Chief
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.4L
Quickly looking through your config to the most recent settings, everything looks correct.

Also mentioned not having the setting for the CSM. You are looking under Settings/Lights/Daytime Running Lights?

View attachment 140786

As mention earlier, the DRLs will only be active when the truck is in reverse, neutral and drive. When in park or if the emergency brake is on, they will not be active.

I dont have the factory head unit. Otherwise I would look. I'll have to use my phone then, I had the e-brake on while checking today.

OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont have the factory head unit. Otherwise I would look. I'll have to use my phone then, I had the e-brake on while checking today.
Since you don't have the factory head unit the CSM will do nothing for you. Unless you have the idatalink maestro rr I believe it shows those settings under AV/OEM setup? Emergency brake will definitely turn them off.

Joe B

U.S. Navy Chief
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.4L
Since you don't have the factory head unit the CSM will do nothing for you. Unless you have the idatalink maestro rr I believe it shows those settings under AV/OEM setup? Emergency brake will definitely turn them off.

I made a video this morning. Everything works fine. Thanks for the help!

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'll have to give that a try tomorrow, thanks. Were the projectors on your truck there from the factory?

-K

Tried the Canadian DRL option and the High Beam setting, still did not work on my truck. :(

I think, from a logical standpoint, the difference between the Canadian DRL setting and the Optional DRL setting would be that the Optional gives you the option in the radio menu to turn them off, where the Canadian setting would not, as I believe they are required by law to always be active in Canada.

-K

Domino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
I definitely do not have the option In Canada to Turn off DRL. They are mandatory and not optional.

Interesting interpretation of “optional”. I’ll have try and see if I can get the option to appear on my Canadian Truck.

Last edited:

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
i have gotten the weirdest stares and drivebys after driving by other 4th gens with my DRL on. haha

thanks again to this thread, its awesome