AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diboblo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alfa is only Android or windows. No iOS.

You MX+ Will connect to iOS to read codes and such, but will never work with Alfa.

Sorry, best bet is a cheap Android tablet.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep.

You can find an Amazon Fire tablet, cheap, then load the google play store and you'll have a fully functioning Android tablet, for under $75.

Sesrch this thread for links to install the Play Store.

Bob

JD Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2016, 2016
Engine
6.7, 6.4, 6.7, 5.9 in a F750
I haven't read the entire thread, but is it possible to change the amount of time the heated mirrors stay on using AlfaOBD?

Letsndy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
MX+ is a tool and AlfaOBD is an app, they are 2 separate and different items purchased from 2 different vendors. You need both items, PLUS 2018+ RAM trucks have a security feature that requires that you additionally purchase a bypass harness from M2 Mods in order to make any changes.

Your 2018 Rebel needs all 3 items to be purchased. Sounds like a lot but it's well worth it and about the cost of 1 trip to the dealer to add one option.
Ok, so I ordered the harness and Mx+. I appreciate the help!

Letsndy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep.

You can find an Amazon Fire tablet, cheap, then load the google play store and you'll have a fully functioning Android tablet, for under $75.

Sesrch this thread for links to install the Play Store.

Bob
thanks!!

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, so I ordered the harness and Mx+. I appreciate the help!

If you’re using it just for this you can get the amazon fire tablet. It’s pretty under powered, but for just running alfaodb it will work fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

Letsndy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you’re using it just for this you can get the amazon fire tablet. It’s pretty under powered, but for just running alfaodb it will work fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.
What would be the next step up? From the amazon fire tablet?

I have a iPad so I’m not knowledgeable on those lol

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I normally use iOS devices so I got the fire tablet for this. I have an iPad 3 that is a little more powerful then the fire tablet, but it works for running alfaodb and it was cheap.

Best Buy has a Samsung 7” tablet on sale for $100 or a Samsung 9.6” tablet for $140. If you’re just going to use it for alfaodb I still think the fire tablet is a good device for doing that.

RockyAEV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I’m an apple person....really don’t like or know how to use the android platform. I got this tablet from Walmart....screen is pretty big, touch screen is pretty good and since I only use it for ALFAOBD it’s perfect! Been using it off and on for a year as I find and change things. Word of advice watch a video on YouTube on how to do a backup save of your original vehicle information...and save it to a google drive. Just in case there is ever an issue you can fix it. I have not had any issue but only changed minor things like tire size for speed correction, splash screens, DRL, mirrors with blinkers etc I haven’t tried to get crazy so I’ve been good.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-10-1-...onus-20-off-Walmart-eBooks-Included/310226166

2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman
6.7L, G56

Letsndy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I normally use iOS devices so I got the fire tablet for this. I have an iPad 3 that is a little more powerful then the fire tablet, but it works for running alfaodb and it was cheap.

Best Buy has a Samsung 7” tablet on sale for $100 or a Samsung 9.6” tablet for $140. If you’re just going to use it for alfaodb I still think the fire tablet is a good device for doing that.

Ok. Appreciate the help. Gonna make a pit stop to Best Buy tomorrow. Do i need any specific internal memory for it?

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok. Appreciate the help. Gonna make a pit stop to Best Buy tomorrow. Do i need any specific internal memory for it?

The fire tablet is my one and only android device. It doesn’t have much memory, but it seems plenty for alfaodb. So I’m guessing anything that Best Buy sells will be good too. If you’re going to use it daily for other things as well you’ll want a larger screen and larger amounts of memory. If you’re using it only for alfaodb go with the least expensive one you can get.

Letsndy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The fire tablet is my one and only android device. It doesn’t have much memory, but it seems plenty for alfaodb. So I’m guessing anything that Best Buy sells will be good too. If you’re going to use it daily for other things as well you’ll want a larger screen and larger amounts of memory. If you’re using it only for alfaodb go with the least expensive one you can get.

Sounds good. Yeah it will only be for alphaobd

Richmond2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
needs to support the android playstore SOME really CHEAP ones do not
and has to have Bluetooth

I bought a Samsung "A" series at best buy 2 years ago and it works fine as a tablet
I got a "free" alcatel tablet with my CELL plan and use it for Alphaobd and that thing is CHEAP and SLOW can NOT game on it - it is THAT slow and alpha works just fine

Rdd383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I need some AlphOBD help. I have a 2014 Ram 2500 that I had used AlphOBD with the OBDLink MX Bluetooth device on, to turn on the Cargo camera option in preparation for installing an Aux camera. I also adjusted the Tire pressures with it. Then I never got around to doing the camera thing.

My system software was recently upgraded from 17.x.x to 18.X.X, now my backup camera no longer comes on when the truck is put into reverse, but I still can select cargo camera and see the camera. When I tried to connect my AlphaOBD to the truck to turn off the cargo camera option (hoping that this would fix the reverse camera), AlphaOBD will not connect to my body computer. I upgraded the AlphaOBD to the latest version and it still will not connect to the truck computer.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this to connect? I don't get any error messages, it just doesn't appear to try to connect to the computer. Are these software versions not compatible?

Thanks, Aaron

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I need some AlphOBD help. I have a 2014 Ram 2500 that I had used AlphOBD with the OBDLink MX Bluetooth device on, to turn on the Cargo camera option in preparation for installing an Aux camera. I also adjusted the Tire pressures with it. Then I never got around to doing the camera thing.

My system software was recently upgraded from 17.x.x to 18.X.X, now my backup camera no longer comes on when the truck is put into reverse, but I still can select cargo camera and see the camera. When I tried to connect my AlphaOBD to the truck to turn off the cargo camera option (hoping that this would fix the reverse camera), AlphaOBD will not connect to my body computer. I upgraded the AlphaOBD to the latest version and it still will not connect to the truck computer.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this to connect? I don't get any error messages, it just doesn't appear to try to connect to the computer. Are these software versions not compatible?

Thanks, Aaron
Since your truck is a 2014 your radio is automatically trying to connect to the rearview mirror for the backup camera. The 2013 to 2015 trucks operated this way. There was a software glitch version 17.11.07 for the radios that allowed the backup camera to actually come up on the screen with the cargo cam option like the 16 and newer trucks do. This was corrected in the newer firmware versions and probably reverted your radio back when you updated your firmware. Turning off the cargo cam will most likely correct your issue. As far as it not connecting to your truck there shouldn't be any issues. Make sure your OBD reader is paired via bluetooth to your device before you try to connect to the truck and then connect to the BCM from there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rdd383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks for the reply. I am connecting the AlphaOBD to the bluetooth OBDLink MX before trying to connect to the body computer. No matter which version I select, it does not appear to even try to connect to the body computer. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

diboblo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply. I am connecting the AlphaOBD to the bluetooth OBDLink MX before trying to connect to the body computer. No matter which version I select, it does not appear to even try to connect to the body computer. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Install the MX & press the reset button, then make sure it's connected to your phones bluetooth, then connect in the app... then connect to the BCM.

72649f0cf408109e3b3e83c3e6c04ea4.jpg

Bob

Rdd383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks Bob, I will give that a try when I get home.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357