AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see that in Alpha OBD there are many information about the battery level !

But how can I see if my battery should be replaced??

Battery AlphaOBD.png

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
For those that have reached out to the developer with questions, did he get back to you? Did it take a while or multiple tries to get an answer?
I sent an email last week with a question but have not heard back so was just curious. I know he is probably busy but was just wondering about his response rate?

It'***** or miss. Sometimes he had gotten back within a couple hour's to a day and sometimes he didn't. It's possible that he forgot or had a lot of emails that day and just missed it

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It'***** or miss. Sometimes he had gotten back within a couple hour's to a day and sometimes he didn't. It's possible that he forgot or had a lot of emails that day and just missed it

Thanks, I'll give it a few more days and try again.

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Just remembered my selling dealership said such a feat wasn't possible, wonder why it's possible with AlfaOBD software & the expensive dealership toys can't or is it won't because of liability? Looking forward to playing with the MX, kinda have the noids about putting the extended warranty in jeopardy with under 9K miles. Thank you for the info.

The dealer is limited to what changes he can request. Let me use my 2017 2500 REGULAR CAB (RC) as an example. Because I have an RC, when I custom ordered my truck I could NOT get many options because it was an RC. I could not get heated seats, ventilated seats, cargo camera, heated steering wheel, etc, etc. I added all of this. When I went to the dealer he entered my VIN into the computer and FCA's response was that my Ram could not have those options from the factory and therefore they could not be added. The dealers tools do NOT allow him to turn on these functions by themselves. The dealer has to go through FCA.

So like others here, I then used AlfaObd and enabled the options in the BCM. You actually have more control over the BCM than the tech's at the dealer. I had gone back to the dealer I went to. The tech had become friendly and asked to see how the mods worked and what I did. He was very surprised. He stated that they do not have a tool that allows the changes/additions of the options I added to the BCM without first going through FCA.

There WAS a time previously where FCA would entertain allowing the dealer to add options not originally available for your trim level (example: an HD SLT is not available with heated steering wheel). FCA has discontinued this practice and strickly goes by what your trim level Ram could have been built with from the factory.

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Haven't been on here in quite a while... been reading, trying to catch up. A friend of mine just got a 2019 2500 Laramie. It has most every option, but he's wanting to change a few things like TPMS thresholds and disable fog light dropout. We did these changes on his 2018, but not sure on the 2019...Anyone changed anything on the 5th gen HDs? Does it use the same security bypass cable?
I see that Alfa has BCM options for 2019 now, so I assume it will work. This truck seems intimidating with all the cameras and giant touchscreen, etc.

The 2019 HD's have restricted access to the RFH hub which you would need for changes to the TPMS thresholds. They no longer use the 4 digit PIN code to get into the RFH hub. I remember reading about this on another forum but cannot find it again at the moment. To gain access to the RFH hub for a reset the 2019 HD's have to be connected to the dealer network where a 2 step process is used in order to reset the RFH hub.

Escotch

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I see that in Alpha OBD there are many information about the battery level !

But how can I see if my battery should be replaced??

View attachment 203100

Hi Tony,
I was wondering this same thing a few days ago and made a post in the audio/electronics forum. Not sure how to link that but I’m sure you can find it if you scroll down a bit. I replaced a 4 year old battery with a new one and posted results so you can compare with yours. The old battery had not failed but I saw some troubling numbers (7 mins to limited start capability) and was concerned. My wife is 9 months pregnant so I need that truck ready to start at a moments notice!

NovaScotia Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
For those that have reached out to the developer with questions, did he get back to you? Did it take a while or multiple tries to get an answer?
I sent an email last week with a question but have not heard back so was just curious. I know he is probably busy but was just wondering about his response rate?

I have been back and forth with him a few times. Some responses come almost instantly, some responses don't come and require a follow-up. I never had to ask a question more than twice before he sent an answer.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Haven't been on here in quite a while... been reading, trying to catch up. A friend of mine just got a 2019 2500 Laramie. It has most every option, but he's wanting to change a few things like TPMS thresholds and disable fog light dropout. We did these changes on his 2018, but not sure on the 2019...Anyone changed anything on the 5th gen HDs? Does it use the same security bypass cable?
I see that Alfa has BCM options for 2019 now, so I assume it will work. This truck seems intimidating with all the cameras and giant touchscreen, etc.

The 2019 HD's have restricted access to the RFH hub which you would need for changes to the TPMS thresholds. They no longer use the 4 digit PIN code to get into the RFH hub. I remember reading about this on another forum but cannot find it again at the moment. To gain access to the RFH hub for a reset the 2019 HD's have to be connected to the dealer network where a 2 step process is used in order to reset the RFH hub.
Actually, the 2019+ HDs don’t even need the RF Hub reset for the threshold change to take. In fact, AlfaOBD might not even be needed if he has a later build 2019 with the selectable tire fill option in the radio settings.

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Actually, the 2019+ HDs don’t even need the RF Hub reset for the threshold change to take. In fact, AlfaOBD might not even be needed if he has a later build 2019 with the selectable tire fill option in the radio settings.

Surprising. So FCA is allowing an owner to do a "work around" of the minimal tire pressures? For example on the current HD 2500's the threshold was 80 lbs/in. Now owners of 2019+ 2500 HD's can change the 80lbs/in to something lower? And not need to make a change to the RFH hub?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Surprising. So FCA is allowing an owner to do a "work around" of the minimal tire pressures? For example on the current HD 2500's the threshold was 80 lbs/in. Now owners of 2019+ 2500 HD's can change the 80lbs/in to something lower? And not need to make a change to the RFH hub?
Yup. It’s actually an optional feature for the radio settings, too. 6cBKOjJ.jpg

HammRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
New Member, read 40 pages of this thread and learned a lot. I bought a Veepeak BLE bluetooth and it did not work well my 2018 Larmie. Returned it and ordered OBDlink MX. In reading through threads I read one where one of the members goals was to "always show transmission gear on the EVIC." Can't find it now but was just wondering if this was accomplished and how?? Thanks in advance

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Yup. It’s actually an optional feature for the radio settings, too. 6cBKOjJ.jpg

So I am now curious how this complies with the NHSTA regulations on minimum tire pressures that are required by law. On my 2017 2500 the threshold was 80lbs/inch. The 80lbs was what was required by law since that was the tire pressure rating on the door jamb. You may recall, this caused a lot of problems with any Ram owners who decided to change their tires from the lousy Firestone Transforce to an aftermarket tire. Most of the aftermarket tires had a MAXIMUM of 65lbs which most do not use when not carrying a full load. But if you went to air down you got the low tire pressure warning. FCA would NOT change the 80lbs/inch threshold even though you had tires that had a max pressure of 65lbs. I am curious how FCA is now allowing this while meeting the applicable laws.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
New Member, read 40 pages of this thread and learned a lot. I bought a Veepeak BLE bluetooth and it did not work well my 2018 Larmie. Returned it and ordered OBDlink MX. In reading through threads I read one where one of the members goals was to "always show transmission gear on the EVIC." Can't find it now but was just wondering if this was accomplished and how?? Thanks in advance

Only way to do it is use the +/- gear selector and set it to 6 or 8 depending on if you have a 1500 or 2500/3500. You'll see next to D the max gear selected then next to that you'll see what gear you are in

Did you buy a security bypass harness?

HammRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Got the bypass. I don't remember who the member was but they was sure they could activate it with the OBDlink. I know a member of another ram forum said his transmission tuner did his 14.

Amoinor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the bypass. I don't remember who the member was but they was sure they could activate it with the OBDlink. I know a member of another ram forum said his transmission tuner did his 14.
Alfaobd lists an option for this but I enabled it and it didn't work for me.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Tony,
I was wondering this same thing a few days ago and made a post in the audio/electronics forum. Not sure how to link that but I’m sure you can find it if you scroll down a bit. I replaced a 4 year old battery with a new one and posted results so you can compare with yours. The old battery had not failed but I saw some troubling numbers (7 mins to limited start capability) and was concerned. My wife is 9 months pregnant so I need that truck ready to start at a moments notice!

Thanks! I found it!

I will monitor these numbers and I may indeed also replace my battery at some point.

Gibbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

Appreciate the info Jimmy. I'll check with him and see if there are any radio settings on that--I know it does have the 12" screen.
Do you know if I can do the easy stuff like disabling foglamp dropout? And if the bypass cable for my 2018 will work on his?

TXTONKA

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Can anyone help me with adding the memory settings with the OBD? I found all the setting except for this one...

ECUConfig 3 - Memory CSO Present