Alignment with new tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So, it's time for some new tires on my truck. 2500 4X4, 72K miles. The current tires have worn completely evenly and the truck drives totally straight down the road. I have zero suspicion that anything is out of alignment.

Of course, I always get the sales pitch from the tire guy that I need to check the alignment which is around $80-100. Is this really necessary or is tire guy just lining his pockets?

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Even though your tires are wearing evenly it couldn't hurt to have them do an alignment. After 72k it wouldn't hurt to check. If you have any issues afterward you could follow up with the shop to have them correct any issues.

Schultzestrength

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I traded in my 2008 Silverado last month with 145k miles on it. It drove straight and had no uneven wear on the tires. It never had an alignment done.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Have them do a check first and see if its out. Ive had a few bad ones over the years especially from tire/lube shops. A good suspension shop can spot other issues the inexperienced tire guys miss. Not sayin they are all bad, but when you roll out of there with a steering wheel cocked 90 degrees and they say its within specs. ya got to wonder.

Fearfact

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the shop doesn’t do a free check then find a new shop....if they sell tires and have a machine the check should be included as should future alignment checks, balance and rotates on that set of tires/truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
In order for them to check it, the truck needs to go on an alignment rack and have the sensors put on it. The time it takes to do that....well your paying for an alignment whether it needs one or not at that point as that's where
Most of the labor is involved.

If you have good even tire wear and all your front end components are tight, I'd leave it be. If a shop does not know what they are doing they can make it worse.

Also I've heard many tire shops tell people they need an alignment, that the vehicle has bad tie rod ends and ball joints, etc and needs 1500 worth of work. Then i check it for the person (usually family or a friend) and everything is tight! Needs nothing. There are a lot of shady places out there. Buyer beware.

I do like the lifetime alignment at firestone. $180 i believe but they will align it as much as you like as long as you own the vehicle. I've used it multiple times already. If you have something your going to keep awhile, it's worth considering. I think in part it keeps the quality of the work higher. If they don't do it right you can keep bringing it back until they have it right. Incentive to do it right the first time...

Last edited:

TARDIS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have never gotten an alignment with new tires. If they're wearing fine it's not necessary.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I got new rubber a month or so ago and just took it on a 580 mile trip, and I'm towing 2000+ miles in a couple weeks and I didn't get an alignment done but I will this week. Tracks straight but feels like the toe or camber is a little wonky as the truck drives a little nervous and twitchy on the highway and that is no bueno.

Edit:

Based on some web searching it sounds like I need to target damn near 0 tow and about 4.2-4.8 degrees caster to get back the confident steering feel we had before. I have an independent shop that I trust.....dealer can do it Friday but chances are they would go to somewhere within the factory specs which still has too much toe in and not enough caster based on Thuren's specs......

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye