ALPHAOBD help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LEONRAVEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and new to ALPHAOBD. I am trying to do a few things on my 2017 RAM REBEL and I could use some advice and assistance.

1. I would like to disable the rear camera time out.
2. I would like to remove or adjust the speed limiter that makes my truck drop from OFF ROAD.
3. I would like to add DLR lights and do a dropout of the highbeam/fog lights.

I have seen some youtube videos out there but I value ya'lls input.

If any one else knows of any great mods to do with ALPHA please let me know. I have been looking thru the threads and there is a lot out there.

Thanks in advance.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
1. I would like to disable the rear camera time out.

99.9% certain that there is no option that can be set/configured for this. It's a safety feature, they don't want you watching the camera view while driving.

2. I would like to remove or adjust the speed limiter that makes my truck drop from OFF ROAD.

I haven't seen that one, but then again I don't have Off-Road mode on my truck. You may want to post up a copy of your BCM settings for folks to have a look at your current settings (you should have a "before" copy anyway in case of problems).

The instructions for both are on the google drive for AlpahOBD and both are very easy. The one thing to know is that if you have the factory projectors, the High-Beam DRL option will not work, only the other options.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cOPRgM7z957XJTg16NSjozfXNbrHdjkRQzCs2t0HYRc/edit?usp=sharing

-K

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
It seems funny to me, Ram not allowing rear camera on. Have a switch, where we can turn it off or on.

My RVs had rear camera to see who's behind you. The Ram cam, does offer a better (2nd option) field of view.

OP
OP
L

LEONRAVEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for your replies. I will post my data asap. Im not sure why the rear cam times out. I thought about the lockpick to bypass it but i was hoping that I could do with Alphaobd.

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Are you saying these separately? As in, 1. Add DRLs, and 2. Dropout high-beam/fog lights?

I have factory projectors and added the DRLs, and also changed the fog lights to NOT drop out when I turn on the high beams. So, not actually sure what the intent is with #3?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It seems funny to me, Ram not allowing rear camera on. Have a switch, where we can turn it off or on.
What is peoples obsession with seeing what's behind them from the camera while they're driving? When your backing up great, if your going forward then eyes on the road and use your sideview mirrors. If you know how to use the sideview mirrors, you can see everything you need to going forward. If you don't know how to use the sideview mirrors and need a camera, your a danger to people around you.

Sdpadrez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is peoples obsession with seeing what's behind them from the camera while they're driving? When your backing up great, if your going forward then eyes on the road and use your sideview mirrors. If you know how to use the sideview mirrors, you can see everything you need to going forward. If you don't know how to use the sideview mirrors and need a camera, your a danger to people around you.
It’s helpful if you are towing. To have the ability to turn that camera on when needed is a nice feature. You must not tow anything or ever have.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It’s helpful if you are towing. To have the ability to turn that camera on when needed is a nice feature. You must not tow anything or ever have.

Once the trailer is hooked to the truck, the camera is useless. Even having a camera looking behind your trailer is useful for backing up, going forward not so much.
As for towing that quite the contrary, amongst some of the trailers I tow are a 24' and 28' trailers(yes they're 8.5' wide too). The camera does come handy picking the boat out of the water, can see if the water is high enough to float the boat on.
So I'm guessing it's you that has never towed anything, and complain about not having a rear window defroster along with the rear seat headrests blocking your view.
If your concerned about using the camera to see the hitch while your towing, stay away from Michigan.

Sdpadrez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Once the trailer is hooked to the truck, the camera is useless. Even having a camera looking behind your trailer is useful for backing up, going forward not so much.
As for towing that quite the contrary, amongst some of the trailers I tow are a 24' and 28' trailers(yes they're 8.5' wide too). The camera does come handy picking the boat out of the water, can see if the water is high enough to float the boat on.
So I'm guessing it's you that has never towed anything, and complain about not having a rear window defroster along with the rear seat headrests blocking your view.
If your concerned about using the camera to see the hitch while your towing, stay away from Michigan.
This entire statement it’s contradicting to your original statement of wondering what the obsession is for needing the rear view camera when needed.

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
What really gets me, is how in a forum people talk to each other. My thoughts are that we might consider not attacking different points of view. Rather just open our eyes; learn from others.

Sdpadrez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What really gets me, is how in a forum people talk to each other. My thoughts are that we might consider not attacking different points of view. Rather just open our eyes; learn from others.
Agreed!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
This entire statement it’s contradicting to your original statement of wondering what the obsession is for needing the rear view camera when needed.
...and reading comprehension completely eludes you.
The statement was about driving forward, the camera is useless going in reverse and once the trailer is hooked to the truck.

Sdpadrez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
...and reading comprehension completely eludes you.
The statement was about driving forward, the camera is useless going in reverse and once the trailer is hooked to the truck.
The whole point of the thread is having the camera on at anytime. Direction of travel was never mentioned. You continue to miss the point. Instead you’d rather argue a point rather than be open to an idea.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The whole point of the thread is having the camera on at anytime. Direction of travel was never mentioned. You continue to miss the point. Instead you’d rather argue a point rather than be open to an idea.

yet again a lack of reading comprehension.
The reverse camera doesn't time out while your in reverse, so the OPs wish to override the time out implies he wants to watch the screen while going forward.
There's enough people already preoccupied looking at their phones while driving, enlightening people how useless it is to watch the trailer hitch while driving down the road could potentially save someone in another vehicle life.

Sdpadrez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yet again a lack of reading comprehension.
The reverse camera doesn't time out while your in reverse, so the OPs wish to override the time out implies he wants to watch the screen while going forward.
There's enough people already preoccupied looking at their phones while driving, enlightening people how useless it is to watch the trailer hitch while driving down the road could potentially save someone in another vehicle life.
No one was looking for enlightenment. Op was reaching out for help and you have provided zero solutions. Your statement as well as your entire point is lacking in this thread and not needed.

OP
OP
L

LEONRAVEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the camera thing. I tow regularly everything from box trailers to motorcycle trailers. Sometimes its helpful for my passenger to view the camera while driving or lets say I am pulling something at low speeds in a difficult terrain such as a small flatbed motorcycle trailer. My passenger can spot me with out leaving the seat or check the load while at low speeds. Or even when i shift to drive and at low speeds need to see clearance when getting fire wood. It would be nice to be able to select when and how long the camera stays on. I think it would make me ill driving forward and watching a rear facing camera.

OP
OP
L

LEONRAVEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On the light thing....I want to add DRL. but also want to leave fog lights on when high beams are on. I live way out on a dirt road about 8 miles from paved road. The extra lighting would be nice watching for wild life..

Thank you again for your replies.

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I know I'm wasting my time for a few folks here... I can't help myself.

I fully agree having the rear camera for improved field of view is an asset. My RVs, had no other way to see the rear, while backing up or even driving. As I've said before, the camera is an additional feature, just like mirrors. To assume that a driver is staring at the video is ludicrous. It's no more used (driving fwd), than a rear mirror. Too as already stated, a wonderful feature when towing a trailer. From a short bit of research, Ram might be one of the only manf that doesn't allow fwd use of the camera.

Yup, this all might not be toward the OPs question. It is one of his wants. It's one of my wants, plus a few more, such as World Peace or forum [emoji3522].

Last edited:

rod from md

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
On the light thing....I want to add DRL. but also want to leave fog lights on when high beams are on. I live way out on a dirt road about 8 miles from paved road. The extra lighting would be nice watching for wild life..

Thank you again for your replies.
i did DRL for the fog light AND disabled hi beam drop out ( if thats the correct term)...the drl fog turns off when the headlights are on, then w fog light sw turned on i have full hi/low fog when needed ...hope that helps a bit