Alpharex NOVA headlights installed and review.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

javier_si04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got mine in today! Love these things! I went with the alpha black luxxs. I did the drl harness but they don't appear as bright as @AE5548 's but I think that has to do with the lights being the darker version and the plastic is darker where the drls are. Still bright enough for me in the day though. I have a 2016 and got no codes or issues either so that was a plus. I got an alfa obd for these but didn't need it. Might play around with other settings or return it not sure yet.View attachment 221956 View attachment 221957
Your truck looks bad ass brother. I have a 2016 express, I'm really interested on this lights as well but getting the codes it's what worries me. I have alfaOBD just be incase. Hopefully I don't bget any codes. If I do I will reach out to you for help. LOL

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

FLYxxBOY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your truck looks bad ass brother. I have a 2016 express, I'm really interested on this lights as well but getting the codes it's what worries me. I have alfaOBD just be incase. Hopefully I don't bget any codes. If I do I will reach out to you for help. LOL

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Thanks man! And I got the alfaobd as well thinking I would have the light out code as well but I never got anything. The 2016s, atleast mine and my buddies, have been really good about replacing to leds. I have all of my lights on my truck swapped to leds (tails, fogs, interior, license plate, etc..) and never had an issue with codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I am going to give the NOVA series a try since ALPHAREX is going to have a
I finally grew tired of the terrible visibility the factory headlights offered so it was time to upgrade. I looked into HID or LED bulbs in the stock housings (I had Quad headlights, not projectors). Using the cheap Ebay stuff was out of the question for reliability reasons. And using good quality stuff would cost $400-$500 and still potentially blind other motorists which i wasn't happy about. So then i looked into buying projector housings as well as HID's and LED's and now i was pushing $1,000 to do it with good quality stuff plus turn signal upgrades. So at that point i started looking at dedicated replacements. I went right to Morimoto since they are so highly regarded but the amount of complaints about their XB Ram replacements was immediately troubling. Lots of melted housings, broken alignment linkages, "they're not very bright" complaints and customer service complaints. Then i saw side by side comparisons of them next to the Alpharex Nova units including drone footage on one YouTube review and i was sold with these. It's not like "these are a little brighter" then the Morimotos. They are easily twice as bright. And they were cheaper too. I paid $1,085 shipped. I couldn't even find Morimotos for less than $1,300.

The install was simple. No wires to cut. The stock headlight plug connects to the wire harness on the new headlights. The turn signal bulb socket is installed into the new housing the same way as stock but you snap a wire connector into the socket. The fit into the socket was snug, so i chose to file down the turn signal bulb connector on the new lights to make it easier. Took about 5 minutes.

The only "wiring" you need to do is the DRL kit. But it's simple. It comes with a harness that plugs into each new headlight housing and then into a control box. You then have three wires to hook up. + on the battery, - on the battery (or chassis) and single wire you connect to a source that comes on with the ignition. I used fuse F66 with a fuse tap.

That's it. I got no error codes for the headlights. But i am getting a "Front parking lamp out" message at startup. Despite changing the Parking lights and Front turn signals to LED on the AlfaOBD app the message continues. Not sure why but ill deal with that soon.

The headlights are SUPER bright. So are the DRL's. In fact the DRL's light up my entire driveway. The DRL's are top and bottom and the bottom switches to yellow sequential turn signals. And when you start the truck, the sequential "dance" is pretty cool.

They fit great, looks great and were simple to install. My only complaints were the DRL connections should have been weatherpak style, not bullet connectors. And the install video on their website should go into detail on aiming them. You use a #2 Phillips but that's not obvious by looking at them.

Pics to follow. Definitely check out JW Montoya's drone footage of them.

I am going to give the NOVA series a try since ALPHAREX is going to have a black friday sale starting tomorrow ....

Did you ever get the "Front Parking Lamp Out" message fixed ?

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel

I am going to give the NOVA series a try since ALPHAREX is going to have a black friday sale starting tomorrow ....

I'm right behind you, this looks great.

Snowblind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't been able to get rid of the Front Parking Lamp Out on my 2014 with the LUXX style.

I tried all sorts of stuff with alfaobd and don't think it's going to be possible to get rid of.

I really like the lights however...

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I haven't been able to get rid of the Front Parking Lamp Out on my 2014 with the LUXX style.

I tried all sorts of stuff with alfaobd and don't think it's going to be possible to get rid of.

I really like the lights however...

Did you get with alpharex about the resistors they have available?

Snowblind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you get with alpharex about the resistors they have available?

I haven't given up quite yet and actual I was wrong I don't get front parking light out, I get

front side marker lamp control
short circuit to + battery/open circuit
Last test failed
error present
Failure warning lamp 'ON' Not Requested

Codes B16BF and B16C3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I haven't given up quite yet and actual I was wrong I don't get front parking light out, I get

Last test failed
error present

Codes B16BF and B16C3
Hit up alpharex they have the resistors in stock now and they are plug and play, they are going to give me the resistors when I order my lights later tonight when their sale goes up ... hopefully that solves the issue ...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Hit up alpharex they have the resistors in stock now and they are plug and play, they are going to give me the resistors when I order my lights later tonight when their sale goes up ... hopefully that solves the issue ...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Ordered mine through RealTruck today. Woot.

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Yes, I saw how it connects. The question is it necessary to do this if you run in auto mode? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

There is a video of a guy reviewing these and his friend didn't install the DRL and he said they come on but they are not as bright.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Last test failed
error present

Codes B16BF and B16C3

Have you tried to set the turns to LED with alfaobd? Sounds like you have but I just had these same codes and set them to LED and they went away. Also cleared the codes and had LED bulbs I installed in other locations. I know a guy who installed morimoto xb housings and has the same issue on a 2015 and cant get them right even with settings enabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAMF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have regular quads but plan on using alpha odb would you buy the the alpha Rex for stock quads or stock projector?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Snowblind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got with tech support yesterday and they were unable to solve my issue, we ended at they wanted me put my stock tail lights back which I'm not sure how it will resolve the issue. I'm using the new tails and before those had the popular C-shaped led lights both of those have cause no errors that I know of.

For reference here is what they sent me to change with AlfaOBD and I also did learn the other thing I had already tried was turning off the front door ajar sensors but they said that trick was more for if you previously had projectors I had quads.

I also did ask about resistors and they did not offer me any so not sure if they think I have some other problem we can fix with alfaOBD or they think they just won't fix it.

Certainly disappointing as the LUXX were pretty expensive too and my truck is a 14 so was hoping it wasn't as sensitive.

Have you tried to set the turns to LED with alfaobd? Sounds like you have but I just had these same codes and set them to LED and they went away. Also cleared the codes and had LED bulbs I installed in other locations. I know a guy who installed morimoto xb housings and has the same issue on a 2015 and cant get them right even with settings enabled.

-5304821658079614808.jpg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I got with tech support yesterday and they were unable to solve my issue, we ended at they wanted me put my stock tail lights back which I'm not sure how it will resolve the issue. I'm using the new tails and before those had the popular C-shaped led lights both of those have cause no errors that I know of.

For reference here is what they sent me to change with AlfaOBD and I also did learn the other thing I had already tried was turning off the front door ajar sensors but they said that trick was more for if you previously had projectors I had quads.

I also did ask about resistors and they did not offer me any so not sure if they think I have some other problem we can fix with alfaOBD or they think they just won't fix it.

Certainly disappointing as the LUXX were pretty expensive too and my truck is a 14 so was hoping it wasn't as sensitive.

View attachment 228592

Not sure if the pwm is applied to turns, I would imagine its for low/high beam but did you also try enabling hid present? Read an article from fca on this.

Snowblind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't yet but certainly will give that a try.

I really like the lights themselves and sure do want them to work correctly.

I read all through the various threads and have been trying one thing at a time to make sure I don't do too much at once they did ask me what other led lights I had which I have led fogs and reverse bulbs and what changes I had already made, which wasn't much changed fogs and reverse lights to led.

Not sure if the pwm is applied to turns, I would imagine its for low/high beam but did you also try enabling hid present? Read an article from fca on this.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
How much did you get them for? With the black friday sale alpharex direct they still want $1200 ....
That's (pre-tax) within a few bucks on RealTruck with free shipping. I asked for a second discount, they gave me an extra 5%.

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a set of the chrome nova's for sale, barely used, practically brand new, $700 shipped, if anyone is interested I can start a for sale thread.