Alpharex NOVA headlights installed and review.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I haven't yet but certainly will give that a try.

I really like the lights themselves and sure do want them to work correctly.

I read all through the various threads and have been trying one thing at a time to make sure I don't do too much at once they did ask me what other led lights I had which I have led fogs and reverse bulbs and what changes I had already made, which wasn't much changed fogs and reverse lights to led.
Buy the 3157 plug and play resistors either from underground lightning here on the forums or from Amazon ... that should fix it but apply it to the heaf headlights between the blinkers and the connection

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
That's (pre-tax) within a few bucks on RealTruck with free shipping. I asked for a second discount, they gave me an extra 5%.
I'm going to pass on these .... bummer because both the luxx and nova series look nice but not at $600 and $$1200 a piece and you have to use resistors that get super hot with the potential of a fire ...

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I'm going to pass on these .... bummer because both the luxx and nova series look nice but not at $600 and $$1200 a piece and you have to use resistors that get super hot with the potential of a fire ...

Yeah, I asked about the resistors, they said not necessary. We'll see about that.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Yeah, I asked about the resistors, they said not necessary. We'll see about that.

Should of told them you want them anyways ... they were going to give them to me for free but after I saw the price for black friday still not worth it to me lol ... let them know you want them anyways

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine

Hell just order some from amazon they are only like $20 if they refuse to give you some for free with your order ... if you don't need them return them .. if you need them you will have them ready to see if that helps with the issues ....

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Hell just order some from amazon they are only like $20 if they refuse to give you some for free with your order ... if you don't need them return them .. if you need them you will have them ready to see if that helps with the issues ....
LOL, exactly my plan! Gotta love next day delivery.

ahole4sure

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.1
So this thread kinda lost some steam since Nov!
Hopefully can revive it lol

I had 55w HIDs for both low and bright in my F150. The pattern of the light in the non projector housing was pretty bad but man were they bright!!
Then 55w HID lows and LED bulbs in the highs for my Mercedes SUV. This was a good setup for the instant on brights where the HID brights were sluggish. But man what a difficult install with the bulbs, etc.

Now regularly driving my 2018 Ram 2500 with OEM projectors. These OEMs are really bad if for no other reason than the pure yellow light!!

Without researching I purchased Morimotos and tbh was really NOT impressed with anything except the plug and play (they provide one wire relay with a fuse tap, but rest was plug and play) nature of the system. Got no errors and ready to install but The lights were just NOT bright. I am returning them!!

With that said these Nova's look awesome but still pretty expensive ( and sound maybe just a bit finicky with errors). Love the video comparison back in the thread.

My question is this .... If you ignore the possibility of needing to replace bulbs or whatever in a year or two AND you only are concerned just with brightness then would 55w HIDs in the stock OEM projectors be brighter than the Nova's??

Hands down the Nova LEDs look better but I'm just wondering about brightness??

Thanks

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So this thread kinda lost some steam since Nov!
Hopefully can revive it lol

I had 55w HIDs for both low and bright in my F150. The pattern of the light in the non projector housing was pretty bad but man were they bright!!
Then 55w HID lows and LED bulbs in the highs for my Mercedes SUV. This was a good setup for the instant on brights where the HID brights were sluggish. But man what a difficult install with the bulbs, etc.

Now regularly driving my 2018 Ram 2500 with OEM projectors. These OEMs are really bad if for no other reason than the pure yellow light!!

Without researching I purchased Morimotos and tbh was really NOT impressed with anything except the plug and play (they provide one wire relay with a fuse tap, but rest was plug and play) nature of the system. Got no errors and ready to install but The lights were just NOT bright. I am returning them!!

With that said these Nova's look awesome but still pretty expensive ( and sound maybe just a bit finicky with errors). Love the video comparison back in the thread.

My question is this .... If you ignore the possibility of needing to replace bulbs or whatever in a year or two AND you only are concerned just with brightness then would 55w HIDs in the stock OEM projectors be brighter than the Nova's??

Hands down the Nova LEDs look better but I'm just wondering about brightness??

Thanks
Ive run ddm tunning 35w ultra hids and. 45w hylux ballast and 5500k morimoto hid bulbs in stock projectors, i swapped to this new Lumibright led and feel its better on my eyes. Just didnt like the brightness or color. On the hid's.

The Lumibrights go on sale for 135 at times.

https://brisource.com/products/lumibright-xt1-gen2-led-headlight-bulbs?variant=36412220113046

Morimoto also came out with the 2stroke v3 which someone on here installed, id like to try them also one day.

I have alpaobd so i dont use decoders, makes for a real easy bulb swap.

Thread i posted pics in..
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/projector-housing-led-bulb-replacements-found.163971/page-2

ahole4sure

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Ive run ddm tunning 35w ultra hids and. 45w hylux ballast and 5500k morimoto hid bulbs in stock projectors, i swapped to this new Lumibright led and feel its better on my eyes. Just didnt like the brightness or color. On the hid's.

The Lumibrights go on sale for 135 at times.

https://brisource.com/products/lumibright-xt1-gen2-led-headlight-bulbs?variant=36412220113046

Morimoto also came out with the 2stroke v3 which someone on here installed, id like to try them also one day.

I have alpaobd so i dont use decoders, makes for a real easy bulb swap.

Thread i posted pics in..
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/projector-housing-led-bulb-replacements-found.163971/page-2
Hey thanks for the reply !!!
I have Supernova V.4 High beam LEDs already in hand
And DDM 55w HIDs for the Lows coming in Monday
Also got the security patch cable and MX+ for alphaobd.

I noticed that the GTR S-V.4's came with a separate box that had a Smart PWM Canbus Decoder for each light (supposedly to make them plug and play for the everyday install). Are you suggesting that I not use the separate decoder and just make Aphaobd changes?

Will the same thing work for the HIDs ?

Also if you have a minute can you please list for me the location and the needed changes? I'm just mainly trying to NOT screw something up (not really wanting to be spoonfed -- just making sure !!) Thanks !!!!!!

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey thanks for the reply !!!
I have Supernova V.4 High beam LEDs already in hand
And DDM 55w HIDs for the Lows coming in Monday
Also got the security patch cable and MX+ for alphaobd.

I noticed that the GTR S-V.4's came with a separate box that had a Smart PWM Canbus Decoder for each light (supposedly to make them plug and play for the everyday install). Are you suggesting that I not use the separate decoder and just make Aphaobd changes?

Will the same thing work for the HIDs ?

Also if you have a minute can you please list for me the location and the needed changes? I'm just mainly trying to NOT screw something up (not really wanting to be spoonfed -- just making sure !!) Thanks !!!!!!

Yes i would try not using the decoders and setting the headlights to hid in alphaobd settings, this is how i have mine. There is another setting for LEDs but i didnt touch that and all work great.

I dont know the exact way to get to the settings, i would have to look at the app as im doing it and write it down.

ahole4sure

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Worked so far!!! Thanks. I set the HID to ON but also set the High Beams to LED jus for the heck of it

Adam1925

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hey I just installed the novas on my 2018 2500, I’m having a hard time figuring out how to adjust them what type or screwdriver or hex driver I need, any input?

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Hey I just installed the novas on my 2018 2500, I’m having a hard time figuring out how to adjust them what type or screwdriver or hex driver I need, any input?
Installed my Nova projetors a few weeks ago. You need a long #2 Philips to turn the gear.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Does it go in the hole closer to the front end or behind?
It's the hole with the arrow that's further from the front end. I actually use first hole to shine a light in to see the damn adjustment in the second hole. LOL!

Adam1925

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
So I have been playing around with adjusting my alpharex novas on my 2018 ram and I still have that Z pattern going on, something I’m doing wrong?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So I have been playing around with adjusting my alpharex novas on my 2018 ram and I still have that Z pattern going on, something I’m doing wrong?
I'm guessing the Z pattern your seeing is the typical step in a projector.
Adjust them like this:
projectoradjust.jpg

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins

It's the cut-off of the projector. That's the way they are designed. Some are more pronounced then other's

3c762eef8dded201e47e8d526f16b7b4.jpg

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
1990 5.9L 12v Cummins W250

FlyTJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got done installing my alpha Rex Nova leds. They are fantastic, I don't have any error codes and they work great! My only problem is adjusting the height on the left fixture. There is certainly no screw in any of the adjustment holes. I might have to pull the fixture see if there are any other adjustment screws somewhere else. 2018 ram 1500 limited