Alpine ILX-W650 for 09-12 w/ factory Alpine System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Surprisingly, I can't find anyone that has posted about this unit yet:

Alpine ILX-W650:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILXW650/Alpine-ILX-W650.html?tp=72381&avf=Y

Only 2" deep (possibly no cutting needed)

Only $300

Only $80 for their kit to retain steering wheel controls

Only thing they don't mention is what happens with the factory mic and backup camera, but steering wheel controls it says are no problem. It says its not iDatalink Maestro compatible, which I assume means mic/camera are out, unless perhaps spliced in somehow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jessica Smith

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Received a reply back from Crutchfield.

For 09-12 Ram 1500s, the installation kit manual indicates that you do not have to do any modification to the sub-dash, even though the site indicates "You'll have to modify your vehicle's sub-dash to install a new car stereo." (apparently that flag is in there for all radios by default but not applicable to this very shallow unit)

You do lose the factory backup camera and the factory microphone, but I'm looking to see if there is a way to splice into the factory backup camera wire or what needs to be done, as I assume the camera will work fine but its just not wired.

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Received a reply back from Crutchfield.

For 09-12 Ram 1500s, the installation kit manual indicates that you do not have to do any modification to the sub-dash, even though the site indicates "You'll have to modify your vehicle's sub-dash to install a new car stereo." (apparently that flag is in there for all radios by default but not applicable to this very shallow unit)

You do lose the factory backup camera and the factory microphone, but I'm looking to see if there is a way to splice into the factory backup camera wire or what needs to be done, as I assume the camera will work fine but its just not wired.

Hey what else have you figured out with this head unit? I’m looking at this now for my truck and I’m just wondering if you have it installed yet?

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice to know. That's been one of my biggest concerns - the OEM mic. I don't have a backup cam, just the sensors. I've tried to use the built in mics before on other systems, but they don't work for beans. Keep us posted.

tallen4392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just had one installed in 2012 has hookup for 2 cameras and I just used the mic that came with it it is a great unit for the price no problems at all

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just had one installed in 2012 has hookup for 2 cameras and I just used the mic that came with it it is a great unit for the price no problems at all

Can you post an installed picture for me in the morning?

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone have any pics of this head unit installed yet?

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finally got around to wrapping up my w650 stereo install. I’m supper excited about the way it came out. It’s flush mounted and sleek looking and I love all the features especially the car play. Also, I ran the microphone cable up the pillar hidden behind it and attached the microphone to the empty rear window switch I had in my overhead console. So far I don’t have any complaints and I’m super stoked about it.

5ADD75C9-D6FC-48AF-BD57-333A8C0A06E6.jpeg

9977F8F6-4C79-4A08-A7A6-E2746518BE94.jpeg

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks nice. I'm still on the stock system. How hard was it to get the mic all the way up there?

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks nice. I'm still on the stock system. How hard was it to get the mic all the way up there?
Honestly that was the easiest part since the wire is so small. Just pulled the pillar off and the overhead console down, tuck wires and hook it onto the piece of plastic. It functions awesome up there too for voice commands and phone calls...perfect location IMO

ckeefer58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Finally got around to wrapping up my w650 stereo install. I’m supper excited about the way it came out. It’s flush mounted and sleek looking and I love all the features especially the car play. Also, I ran the microphone cable up the pillar hidden behind it and attached the microphone to the empty rear window switch I had in my overhead console. So far I don’t have any complaints and I’m super stoked about it.

View attachment 177961

View attachment 177962
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm considering one of these units for my 2010. Just curious what displays in the EVIC in the gauge cluster with this head unit?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm considering one of these units for my 2010. Just curious what displays in the EVIC in the gauge cluster with this head unit?

Not sure exactly what you mean but my cluster from what I know is pretty basic and does not read many extra features except miles, temp and direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ckeefer58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Not sure exactly what you mean but my cluster from what I know is pretty basic and does not read many extra features except miles, temp and direction.

Ok I wasn't sure what cluster you have. Mine will show the source from the radio (AUX, Radio station, etc) and I'm not sure if I'll lose that with an aftermarket head unit.

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok I wasn't sure what cluster you have. Mine will show the source from the radio (AUX, Radio station, etc) and I'm not sure if I'll lose that with an aftermarket head unit.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help.

Blazerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have installed an 702d, but this one is only for the european market.
Android Auto, Apple Car, USB, Bluetooth, Backup Camera, internal and external mic.

Nice device, installed with an PAC Adapter everything is working fine, you will only loose the fading function.
Installtime with new cables etc one hour

Greetings from Germany

Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk

Canada49ersFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

View attachment 177961

View attachment 177962
Know this is a few years old but I'm looking to do the same install. How much did it cost you after the cost of the unit? Stores are quoting me $800 and I can't afford that. I have SiriusXM and an aftermarket backup cam