Alternator getting extremely hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abarlow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 - 2500
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I have a 2011 ram 2500 with a 6.7 L Cummins. I swapped the batteries out the other day because they were bad and now my alternator is overheating. I figured maybe it was just a dad alternator because it had actually burnt up right after I put the batteries in. So I put in a new alternator and it is doing the same thing. It’s starting to get too hot to touch, anybody have any ideas on what would cause this?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2011 ram 2500 with a 6.7 L Cummins. I swapped the batteries out the other day because they were bad and now my alternator is overheating. I figured maybe it was just a dad alternator because it had actually burnt up right after I put the batteries in. So I put in a new alternator and it is doing the same thing. It’s starting to get too hot to touch, anybody have any ideas on what would cause this?

What changes have you recently made before the alternator started overheating?

I swapped the batteries out the other day because they were bad and now my alternator is overheating.

There's either a partial short on one of the battery leads or a defective battery.

You might carefully inspect the battery leads and the large 12V wire between the batteries and alternator. A partial short to ground would have this effect.

If all the wiring is satisfactory, then load test both those batteries and I think you will find one of them to be defective.

And,welcome.gif to Ram Forum. :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

abarlow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 - 2500
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
What changes have you recently made before the alternator started overheating?

There's either a partial short on one of the battery leads or a defective battery.

You might carefully inspect the battery leads and the large 12V wire between the batteries and alternator. A partial short to ground would have this effect.

If all the wiring is satisfactory, then load test both those batteries and I think you will find one of them to be defective.

And,View attachment 528697 to Ram Forum. :cool:

Ok thank you guys for the advice.
I have checked both new batteries and the new alternator. I have singled everything thing out and it still gets hot.
The only time it didn’t get hot is when I didn’t a power wire going to the alternator. I ran it off of each battery separately as well and no change. I also did connected the intake heater and no change.
My next step is to try a two completely different batteries.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Deleted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

abarlow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 - 2500
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Yoir on the right. Course, let us know what you find .
So it was as simple as a bad connection. Just had to fully take apart the piggyback connections on the battery terminals clean them real well and now everything is fine.
Who would’ve thought.
Thanks again for your input fellas!