Alternator upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tex68w

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I purchased my truck off the lot so I wasn't able to have it configured to my exact standards. One of the options my truck lacks are the HD and dual alternators, this truck has the single 180amp. What's the easiest way to upgrade my alternator? Are the larger OEM alternators best or should I be looking at aftermarket solutions and if so which ones? Does anything else needed in order to make this change or are there other items that needed to swapped out as well in order to support a larger unit?

Grokington

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
It's the same part as used on the 12-14 ish then it *should* just be a straight up swap for a 220. If it's diesel, might be able to add a second with a longer serpentine belt and an "enable" via a tool. I've not done this so keep that in mind.

Grokington

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Should say IF it's the same part. I don't know. Sorry for any confusion

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What do want the dual and/or high output alternator for? Is it something that would be better served by a dual battery set up?