Aluminum spare wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glenn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My Window Sticker shows both a steel wheel spare(under standard equip) and a little farther down it shows an aluminum spare(under optional equipment). I have rarely had to use a spare but I like the idea of having an aluminum spare wheel, hopefully matching. Anyone get a matching aluminum wheel for a spare?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you looked to see that you actually have one?

OP
OP
Glenn54

Glenn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Truck was just delivered to the dealer yesterday. Supposed to pick it up Monday or Tuesday and I will check then. Just wondering if others got an aluminum spare wheel.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, it actually has a matching aluminum wheel for a spare (18"). I really like that.

Heck yea! I never heard of such a thing!

Now you can do five tire rotations.

Irish.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 trademans upgrade
Engine
Before you do that 5 tire rotation better look closer to spare.
It got the “ donut” tire on it. It would be wise to invest a real tire as a spare

OP
OP
Glenn54

Glenn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I don't think I have ever seen a "donut" tire for a spare on a pickup truck. My Laramie has a regular tire. My 4Runner before this had a regular tire.

Before you do that 5 tire rotation better look closer to spare.
It got the “ donut” tire on it. It would be wise to invest a real tire as a spare

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think it is a "donut" spare, more like a "temporary", use spare tire on a steel wheel. My Sport has 20", but the spare was a 17" tall skinny temporary spare.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate temp spares. For months I've thinking of buying a matching rim for a spare.

I went and did a fit check. The hanger won't fit the regular 20" aluminum rim.

Does anyone know how to make a real rim and tire fit rather than buying a 235/85r17?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

rick chew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate temp spares. For months I've thinking of buying a matching rim for a spare.

I went and did a fit check. The hanger won't fit the regular 20" aluminum rim.

Does anyone know how to make a real rim and tire fit rather than buying a 235/85r17?

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It would require some serious cutting and would lose rigidity.

I was hoping that I could buy a new hanger/cable assembly.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you pop the clad cover off the center hole underneath is big enough to get the hanger through. A factory size tire will then fit up underneath the rear no problem. Even a slightly bigger tire will fit. It will make for a great fullsize spare but its definitely not going to be pretty enough for use with a five tire rotation. Also getting that clad off and cleaning up all the glue residue underneath is a big PITA.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I found a 20" steel wheel at a used wheel place, and mounted a same size 20" tire on it. There was more then enough room for it in the spare tire location. It is not a matching aluminum wheel, but I don't plan on doing a 5 tire rotation. Certainly feel much better having a "real" spare tire. Now I just have to find a home for that new "temp" spare tire and wheel..

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you pop the clad cover off the center hole underneath is big enough to get the hanger through. A factory size tire will then fit up underneath the rear no problem. Even a slightly bigger tire will fit. It will make for a great fullsize spare but its definitely not going to be pretty enough for use with a five tire rotation. Also getting that clad off and cleaning up all the glue residue underneath is a big PITA.
Nope

Irish.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 trademans upgrade
Engine
two days ago I had my "temp" tire replace with cheap 265/85/18 real tire and it fits in the hanger no problem with 3 inch space around it. I hate temp or donut tires and its a one time use.

OP
OP
Glenn54

Glenn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have 18" rims/tires. I had previously looked at the spare and saw the rim is an aluminum rim so thought I had a regular tire and rim. Today, I lowered the spare to check the tire pressure and noticed the spare tire says "Temporary Use Only". Does anyone know if the rim is good enough for normal use? The aluminum spare rim does not match the aluminum rims on the ground.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 18" rims/tires. I had previously looked at the spare and saw the rim is an aluminum rim so thought I had a regular tire and rim. Today, I lowered the spare to check the tire pressure and noticed the spare tire says "Temporary Use Only". Does anyone know if the rim is good enough for normal use? The aluminum spare rim does not match the aluminum rims on the ground.
It will work fine once you put a regular tire on it. The tire was the only thing that made it temporary since it only had a few tread and they weren't very deep.