Am I crazy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my beloved 2018 Big Horn 1500 5.7 QC Hemi has developed a small bubble in the paint along the front edge right above the passenger side headlight. Truck is washed weekly, spray waxed, hand waxed, ceramic, etc. The truck is immaculate inside and out. I take very good care of her so you can imagine my shock and dismay when this paint flaw reared its ugly head.

Anyway, I called the dealer. They said they would repair it and the repair would be covered under warranty. They would give me a loaner for the week they had the truck. I said ok, and made the appointment. As the appointment got closer I began to stress out about the thought of letting the stealerships body shop handle this repair. First of all, these guys can barely get an oil change right. Second of all, a buddy of mine who owns a body shop looked at it and said the right way to do the repair is to remove the hood, repair it, then paint both sides of the hood before re-install. That was all I had to hear. All I can picture is them removing my hood, letting the truck sit somewhere with the engine exposed, dust from the body shop everywhere, the hood never lining up correctly again, and the PXR paint which is that black granite, that sometimes looks black, green or brown depending on the light, with a ton of metal flake in it, not matching the rest of the truck.

Needless to say I canceled the appointment. My buddy who owns the body shop who I trust with a bunch of my vehicles, who by the way painted my fender flares, hood scoop and cab spoiler to a PERFECT match, is gonna do the repair. $750 and of course no loaner, but I know the truck will be done right, and he is literally around the block so once he removes the hood I can bring the truck home and cover it in my driveway.

The wife says I’m crazy, you know, to pay for a repair that they would cover under warranty.
But I don’t see it that way.

Am I crazy?

Davidloveshishemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Noooooooo!!!!!!!! You are 100% right!!!! I literally could not agree with you more. I let the dealership do one oil change on my Ram 1500, thats all it took, I do my own now. Built my own ramps, buying my own floor jack and jack stands because I no longer trust them to do a tire rotation let along something as overly simple as an oil change. I would do exactly what you are doing, pay for it so you know its done right. You know with warranty work it will sit there till they get to it and there is no incentive to do it right. Get it done, get it out the door. Dont second guess it, you are doing the right thing, nobody and I mean nobody cares about your stuff more than you do. As sad as it is to say thats the world we live in. Thankfully you know someone who will take care of it for you. I hope my comments help.

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I also would say your wife is right. But not about the paint work. 750 not bad at all to get it done right.

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm a fan of do it right the first time, even if it costs more :) I was a service writer at a Dodge/Mazda dealer back when there were all the trans issues. Our trans guy was backed up for months and wasnt making much money for all those jobs. He took his sweet time doing everything and never really gave a crap about whether it was right or not. He wasn't the only tech or body guy that was just there for a paycheck. Obviously, it not true for every dealer or every tech, but I'd say it's a pretty common occurrence. Especially for warranty work.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I actually think you were crazy, that you even considered letting the dealership touch your truck.

But seems like maybe you had a stroke of brilliance and came to your senses.

you are on the right track, it's not about the money, never seen a uhaul behind a hearse. Definitely can't take it with you

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is a caveat:

1) Better private shop do.
2) DEALERSHIP has been trying to sell me a 2021 Laramie, but it has E-Torque not for me. I have a full Flame Red Colored truck with matching full tonneau cover. I told em, need a truck with the short bed, etc. They said: We sell U this pretty Hydro Blue Color (which I just luv) and we take off yer cover, take to our body shop, and "re-paint" for U. Since I still have my truck, U can guess how far that idea went. To be honest, the Laramie 2021 was great, except for the : 1/ E torque. 2/Had a full 6" Rough Country Lift. I literally had to jump up to get on the side bar and jump down to get out. Ummm, No way, who am I, Lurch from the Adams Family, really, LOL.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The kid trying to change your oil does not work in the auto body shop. I had a truck painted by a dealer ,they did excellent work, it looked better then when it came thru the factory doors. Like everything most depends on the individual doing the work .

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
@Hookedup87 I'll throw this into the mix, why not both? Let the Dealer do it for free. If it's not to your satisfaction, then go to your buddy's shop and have it done. That also alleviates an argument with the wife. You know, the argument that you'll lose... :happy175:

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
I live in a suburban town where almost everyone is Republican and most of the women are the southern version of Karens. Everyone here knows how to complain effectively, and a portion of the local population is politically connected. Forks marry their own relatives here, so almost everyone is Bill Clinton's cousin one way or another. A car dealership could not survive here if the service department wasn't outstanding. Their work is expensive and pretty well limited to warranty and commercial work. But they do a good job or folks get fired. It's the same with car washes. You don't really have to worry about getting your car damaged in a car wash here. Scratch someone's $80K Ram or $100K Lexus and heads will roll.

OP
OP
Hookedup87

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok. Thanks guys. Makes me feel better. Wife may be on to something with the crazy, but that’s another story. The dealer had its own in house body shop. Not to mention Chrysler was making me bring it all the way back to the selling dealer which is an hour away. I haven’t returned to them since I bought the truck. That was a fiasco as well. Bait and switch, didn’t want to take my large down payment , etc. Led to my wife screaming at the salesman and marching out with my daughter. It got heated. So the thought of them even touching, no less doing everything, and body and paint work mind you, scared me even more. They didn’t even detail the truck for me when I went to pick it up. That’s fine though, less scratches and swirl marks.

Anyway, I will send a pic along.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in a suburban town where almost everyone is Republican and most of the women are the southern version of Karens. Everyone here knows how to complain effectively, and a portion of the local population is politically connected. Forks marry their own relatives here, so almost everyone is Bill Clinton's cousin one way or another. A car dealership could not survive here if the service department wasn't outstanding. Their work is expensive and pretty well limited to warranty and commercial work. But they do a good job or folks get fired. It's the same with car washes. You don't really have to worry about getting your car damaged in a car wash here. Scratch someone's $80K Ram or $100K Lexus and heads will roll.
:anitoof::argue:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok. Thanks guys. Makes me feel better. Wife may be on to something with the crazy, but that’s another story. The dealer had its own in house body shop. Not to mention Chrysler was making me bring it all the way back to the selling dealer which is an hour away. I haven’t returned to them since I bought the truck. That was a fiasco as well. Bait and switch, didn’t want to take my large down payment , etc. Led to my wife screaming at the salesman and marching out with my daughter. It got heated. So the thought of them even touching, no less doing everything, and body and paint work mind you, scared me even more. They didn’t even detail the truck for me when I went to pick it up. That’s fine though, less scratches and swirl marks.

Anyway, I will send a pic along.
WOW, but hopefully U R happy with the work.

OP
OP
Hookedup87

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
E402743B-28DC-4526-B68C-3F970296E122.png
This is what I’m dealing with. I agree. Something is going on probably on the underside of the hood that caused this. I know my guy will do the right job. He is meticulous and very thorough. I can’t say that for any dealership I have ever dealt with.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
That was most likely caused by a chemical reaction to an APC ... if you did any kind of paint correction, buff or polish and you left the polisher on that spot for a long time you compromised the paint and coating, an APC got underneath the paint and reacted causing the bubbles ...

OP
OP
Hookedup87

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol. I get blamed for everything. You sound like my wife. Anyways, whatever caused it, it’s definitely a bummer. I just used the last of my vacation time for this year, so next year I’ll use one of my weeks and give the hood to my body shop guy so the truck can sit safe in my driveway covered for the week while he repairs it. I’ll just stay away from that spot with the buffer next time I polish her, and if what you are saying is true, hopefully it won’t get worse to the point of perforation.

TerryH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 turbo
Paint does not bubble on its own. What is the underlying cause? Unless you fix that you'll be back at it in a few years. It would be helpful to have a pic.

Lol. I get blamed for everything. You sound like my wife. Anyways, whatever caused it, it’s definitely a bummer. I just used the last of my vacation time for this year, so next year I’ll use one of my weeks and give the hood to my body shop guy so the truck can sit safe in my driveway covered for the week while he repairs it. I’ll just stay away from that spot with the buffer next time I polish her, and if what you are saying is true, hopefully it won’t get worse to the point of perforation.

Unfortunately I see this pretty often. 42 years in the collision repair industry. People come in out shop saying that their hood is rusting. The hood is aluminum. It's nothing you did. It's coming up from the bottom. There was some form of contaminant on the hood or trapped between the outer hood skin and the inner structure when the hood was manufactured. Aluminum is very sensitive to this sort of thing. Strip, clean, etch prime and fill if needed, seal that seam if needed, sealer, color, clear. I'm guessing that your buddy knows all about it. The dealership body shop probably does as well. I still think you are doing the right thing by having someone you trust fix it.