Android auto or u connect, not sure what's up..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matlocc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6cyl
When I unplug my phone after using android auto, all my app icons are gone and I have to restart my phone to get em back. (Google pixel) any ideas?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Is your phone fully up to date, both the apps and the phone software?
The Android apps on the radio will disappear when you unplug the phone but not sure why anything would disappear on your phone.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Which Pixel do you have? When you say your Apps are gone, do you mean the Pixel apps such as Calendar, Calculator, etc? Check your battery saver settings, perhaps you have extreme battery saver on and it is glitching when you disconnect. Also try turning off truck first before disconnecting cable. And also check that your Android Auto and OS are updated. You could try uninstalling and reinstalling AA.

OP
OP
M

matlocc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6cyl
All my apps on the phone are gone, almost like the phone is frozen.
Battery saver is off.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
All my apps on the phone are gone, almost like the phone is frozen.
Battery saver is off.
It's possible their is a safety "feature" blocking access to apps while AA is running on Pixel phones. Maybe AA isn't terminating properly?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Still not sure what Pixel you have, but my 6 Pro was a bit wonky on some apps and was the unit I had the most problems with AA on. Never figured it out and upgraded to 7 Pro due to crappy radio chip in the 6. No problems since.

Only other thing to try is a hard reset of the phone and reinstall apps. If you know anyone else with a Pixel or at least a Android, connect their phone and see what happens after their disconnect to verify it is not your head unit.

Good luck.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
To pile on, AA has been freezing for me too, but on the 8.4 screen and not the phone. Unplugging and replugging sometimes works but sometimes I must restart the phone to make the 8.4 AA interface responsive again.

OP
OP
M

matlocc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6cyl
Pixel 3xl. Seems like turning the truck off worked once. My phone apps are visible on the phone when plugged in but disappear when unplugged.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
While AA is constantly updated to be optimized for current OS, it should still work for older units that no longer have updates offered. That being said, electronics are wonky and one thing can impact so many other areas. Short of trying another phone to verify it isn't the head unit's fault, you may be needing to upgrade to a newer phone if a factory reset won't fix it.

I have a wonky problem with my HP printer where I can't scan from it to my phone, so anytime I want to scan I have to pull my older 4a5g out which will accept scan. Gave up trying to figure 6 and 6 pros out, and I have had 5 Pixels and pretty handy with software. Sometimes you just have to admit defeat. FYI, 7a is coming out in May and will have updated camera sensor, but I have seen some crazy deals in 7 and 7 Pro and they are great phones

Good luck.