Another Bilstein 5100 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cacarter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Next week I’m bringing my 2018 1500 to Line-X to have a bedliner, headache rack, and Bilstein 5100’s put on. I’m doing both front and rear, but I don’t plan on lifting the rear, so no new coil springs.
My question is in your experience and opinion, what is the optimal front setting? I don’t want to replace the UCAs, so I don’t think 2.8 is in the cards. I’m leaning towards 2.1, but am okay with a little bit of rake, so maybe 1.4 or the TRX setting, which I believe is .75 inches.
Anyway, thanks for the input.

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Next week I’m bringing my 2018 1500 to Line-X to have a bedliner, headache rack, and Bilstein 5100’s put on. I’m doing both front and rear, but I don’t plan on lifting the rear, so no new coil springs.
My question is in your experience and opinion, what is the optimal front setting? I don’t want to replace the UCAs, so I don’t think 2.8 is in the cards. I’m leaning towards 2.1, but am okay with a little bit of rake, so maybe 1.4 or the TRX setting, which I believe is .75 inches.
Anyway, thanks for the input.
Where in the hell and when did you get the Bilsteins

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Measure from wheel center from ground to edge of wheel well front and rear. Whatever the difference is minus your preferred rake is your setting.

OP
OP
cacarter

cacarter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP
OP
cacarter

cacarter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is. The layout must be a little confusing to new members as this seems like a frequent occurrence.
I agree, it is a little difficult to navigate. I thought I was posting in the lifted section of the forum, and that that applied to all gen’s. This forum as a whole, is applicable to all generation Ram’s, isn’t it?

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree, it is a little difficult to navigate. I thought I was posting in the lifted section of the forum, and that that applied to all gen’s. This forum as a whole, is applicable to all generation Ram’s, isn’t it?
It is, you just posted in the 5th gen lifted section, not the 4th gen lifted section.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Out of curiosity are you using your phone/tablet to browse? Or using a full web browser on laptop/pc?

Seems like using phones/tablet with an app is harder to navigate/post in the correct areas, on laptop/pc the sections are laid out very clearly and even have the years associated with that generation listed as shown here:
Untitled54782.png

Once you select the generation you then select which section to post in for that generation (general discussion/lifted/lowered/exterior/interior etc). So each generation has it's specific location for posts.

OP
OP
cacarter

cacarter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Out of curiosity are you using your phone/tablet to browse? Or using a full web browser on laptop/pc?

Seems like using phones/tablet with an app is harder to navigate/post in the correct areas, on laptop/pc the sections are laid out very clearly and even have the years associated with that generation listed as shown here:
View attachment 491274

Once you select the generation you then select which section to post in for that generation (general discussion/lifted/lowered/exterior/interior etc). So each generation has it's specific location for posts.
Thanks for the information. I use my phone and go on the website. I am still exploring all of the features and getting more familiar with it.
Thank you, and everyone else for the replies and awesome information! I am impressed with the knowledge on here, and appreciate the respect that is given to others.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the information. I use my phone and go on the website. I am still exploring all of the features and getting more familiar with it.
Thank you, and everyone else for the replies and awesome information! I am impressed with the knowledge on here, and appreciate the respect that is given to others.

No problem at all, glad to be able to help!

Also glad you are enjoying the forum experience, they can be very helpful and I can't tell you the amount of grief they have saved me over the years/different vehicles I've owned.

DavidRussell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l HEMI
I've got mine set at 2.5 and put a 1" lift in back. I need a slight rake for medium weight towing. Love it this way. Bilsteins in the rear were worth it. Super easy to put on. Even shock wear idk. Felt the difference towing. Feels more like a truck less like a cadi

OP
OP
cacarter

cacarter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Been a while since I updated… 5100s all the way around, set at 2.1 on front, blacked out badges, Tracrac, magnum headache rack, PIAA light bars, Tyger bull bar. Putting my Tyger rear bumper on tomorrow.
AD7C50CE-9AA2-41F0-9541-37CD66652A43.jpeg

Attachments

• E73CE5AB-7BE3-4F6E-A42B-F43F47EC6555.jpeg
    E73CE5AB-7BE3-4F6E-A42B-F43F47EC6555.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 17
  • F1E56229-0D0A-478C-849A-4C96DE54A611.jpeg
    F1E56229-0D0A-478C-849A-4C96DE54A611.jpeg
    311.8 KB · Views: 17

OZ RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hello all,
I have just installed suspension on my dt laramie and was looking for a little help.

Have installed 2" raised springs front and rear ( these are australian made Kings springs) with bilstein 5100's. Have measured and the front is 1/2" higher then the back, note that I have also had airbages(inner spring) installed in the rear for payload/towing which have 20 psi in them.

When I go over a speed bump the rear feels fine, the front is very harsh.

Can anyone confirm the front 5100 settings should be at stock height adjustment when using 2" lift springs? I am thinking with the 5100 on the front set on 4th notch from the bottom as well as the lifted springs, that the front springs maybe over compressed.

Thanks