Another Cam and Lifter question, mainly about the parts needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Victor Brill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey folks,

I know there have been many threads posted about this topic and I have done some digging but haven't necessarily found a good thread that details all the parts needed for this fix. I have a 2011 Ram 1500, with 128K miles that recently got a cylinder 8 misfire and has been idling very rough. From what I have heard from mechanics and read about online, everything is pointing towards the dreaded Cam and Lifter failure. I am looking to buy all of the parts and either do the repair myself(I have seen the great thread that details the steps), or have a shop do it. I am not necessarily looking to do a major upgrade on performance(even though I am curious if i would notice any with the Hellcat lifters), I just want it to go back to basically stock but without the MDS. Trying to avoid replacing unnecessary things.

Here is what I have in my cart right now.

-Mopar Replacement 05038784AD - Mopar Replacement Lifters
-
Mopar Replacement 53032221AA - Mopar Replacement Fuel Injection System Components
-MOPAR, water pump-68346912AA
-Mopar, Timing Chain, Guide, Tensioner, Gasket, Crank Sprocket
-Mopar, Cam Bolt.

-Superchips 3845 Flashpaq F5 Tuner

I am currently trying to find a non-MDS camshaft to go with. Modern Muscle Extreme has one for $289 I was leaning towards. but will keep searching. I have seen some EngineTech non-MDS stuff that is pretty affordable but I am not sure of their quality and try to keep things as Mopar as I can. I have seen where people replace the oil pump, head gaskets, and other things but I was curious if all those things were absolutely necessary when doing this repair?

https://www.modernmusclextreme.com/...delete-kit-by-mmxmopar-components-listed.aspx

I have been using their website to get an idea and they mention the oil pump, and the things in their installation parts option.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
5038398AE is the 6.4 car engine oil pump which has a little more volume/pressure.......direct fit on the 5.7 truck engine.....I have on mine.
Don't forget you have to tune out MDS if you go with that type cam/lifter

tantore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
if you use the none mds cam make sure it comes with the plugs for the mds solenoids or you will have problems i hope it will help

OP
OP
V

Victor Brill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5038398AE is the 6.4 car engine oil pump which has a little more volume/pressure.......direct fit on the 5.7 truck engine.....I have on mine.
Don't forget you have to tune out MDS if you go with that type cam/lifter

Yea, I am just curious if it is absolutely needed to change the oil pump and how difficult of a swap it is once you have it torn apart. It's not that much more costly, just wondering how much more time it would add.

Yea, I plan on getting a Superchip Tuner to turn off the MDS.

Thanks,

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yea, I am just curious if it is absolutely needed to change the oil pump and how difficult of a swap it is once you have it torn apart. It's not that much more costly, just wondering how much more time it would add.

Thanks,

You'll also need head bolts and head gaskets ,i'd also replace the crank bolt to.The heads have to come off to replace the lifters,and the head bolts are a 1 time torque to yield bolt.If you want a cheap cam,just throw in a replacement 5.7 cam for the manual transmission Challengers.The stick cars use a non-mds cam

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I was running 5W-20 Valvoline full synthetic high mileage. I plan on switching to Redline 5w-30 with an RP filter.

Yeah Valvoline was not committed to Moly for ten years and to say the least lack of moly is a suspect in Cam problems. I'm guessing FCA knew this when the made a hemi specific oil with more then 4 times average moly PUP/Str 0w40. Maybe this would have happened anyhow, but I'd stick with high moly oils in a hemi. you getting rid of mds too?

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56

Thanks,
You need to drop oil pan to replace oil pump....only way to remove pickup tube.
Then of course you need to replace pickup tube seal & oil pan gasket.
If you plan on keeping truck I would recommend with that many miles....also while heads are off is now the time to touch up valves & seats & replace valve guides.....probably around $400 for head work unless you or a friend have tools for this.

OP
OP
V

Victor Brill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah Valvoline was not committed to Moly for ten years and to say the least lack of moly is a suspect in Cam problems. I'm guessing FCA knew this when the made a hemi specific oil with more then 4 times average moly PUP/Str 0w40. Maybe this would have happened anyhow, but I'd stick with high moly oils in a hemi. you getting rid of mds too?

Yea, using Valvoline definitely could of been the issue. I am planning on getting rid of the MDS. Just looking for the right non-MDS cam.

OP
OP
V

Victor Brill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
OP
OP
V

Victor Brill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone know if you have to replace the crankshaft or camshaft sprocket? I have seen it mentioned but seems like none of the MDS delete kits include it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357