Another CP4 fatality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Last year, my buddy traded in his 2500 with the 6.4 on a 2019 Cummins, he wanted more fuel economy when towing. Well, this past weekend, he was cruising down the interstate, when the CP4 let go. Needless to say, he is really bummed out. Not date on a replacement pump, and now he doesn't want the truck back. He's going to try to find a CP3 equipped 2021.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
I get it even though I don't own a year model with the CP4. I don't understand why they thought they needed to change something that is fairly reliable. Hope your buddy finds what he is looking for, although, unless he needs the massive torque of a turbo diesel I think the expense of a diesel will offset any financial gains made by using less fuel than a gasser.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get it even though I don't own a year model with the CP4. I don't understand why they thought they needed to change something that is fairly reliable. Hope your buddy finds what he is looking for, although, unless he needs the massive torque of a turbo diesel I think the expense of a diesel will offset any financial gains made by using less fuel than a gasser.

Same reason as always: $$$$, to hell with the customer!

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Actually it will probably be more than just the $3K for the kit since when the CP4 goes it usually spreads fine metal particles throughout the high pressure portion of the system. This often results in lines, injectors, etc. needing to be replaced. IIRC one repair was around $12K to replace the fouled components and flush the rest of the system but was covered under warranty.

I didn't see happiness as an explicit requirement but I suppose it is an implied requirement. :D

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually it will probably be more than just the $3K for the kit since when the CP4 goes it usually spreads fine metal particles throughout the high pressure portion of the system. This often results in lines, injectors, etc. needing to be replaced. IIRC one repair was around $12K to replace the fouled components and flush the rest of the system but was covered under warranty.

I didn't see happiness as an explicit requirement but I suppose it is an implied requirement. :D

hehe correct!

I could understand if the truck was ages old, but 2 model years? Ridiculous.

It looks like CP4 failures have been a thing since before it looks like FCA switched to them, so they knew and didnt care anyway ?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I think there is a thread here on one that was a few MONTHS old. The CP4 was definitely a bad choice since GM was already having problems with it before FCA chose it. There is a class action lawsuit related to it as well.

Seems like the best thing to do is have it repaired under warranty and sell / trade it on something else. Trade-in values for HD trucks is quite strong nowadays so moving to something else may not be too bad a financial hit. Second choice is to do the CP4 to CP3 swap after the warranty repair to eliminate the troublesome part.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Ford still runs the CP4, so changing brands leaves only one choice at the moment. I am hoping they do the right thing for '19 snd '20 owners stuck with the CP4.

Tim J

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
2020.......20000 miles.....Still in the shop........CP4!!!!.....This isnt right....