Another Hemi Tick Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m new here and have had my 2015 Ram Sport for about 9 months. It had 104k and was super clean inside and out. I’ve been a GM guy all my life. I bought this to replace my company truck as I retired at the end of 22. I have read threads here on the fabled Hemi tick until I’m going blind without finding the answer I’m curious about. Is the problem an overall engine design issue or just a cam/lifter issue? Mine has developed this and wondering if a quality aftermarket set is a long term fix. I feel sure this has been discussed and I just haven’t found it so please forgive me for rehashing this.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
There is no substantive answer to your question, which explains why all your reading hasn’t given a clear explanation.

Opinions are many, facts are few. I believe “planned obsolescence” is the root cause.

Going forward, I would first ascertain is it a lifter, injector, or exhaust tick and go from there.

Use a good oil and change it twice as often as the OLM says.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Try redline oil. 5-30 wt. it might eliminate your tick.

OP
OP
Michael56

Michael56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did change to 5w30 but didn’t use Redline. It didn’t help. I’ll try Redline before any major decisions. Thanks for your response.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
50% of the time it is lifters the other 50 is exhaust bolts, rule out exhaust, they can sound identical. If your oil is new and you dont want to chnage it yet, dump 15 ounces lubegard biotech in, poor mans redline.

OP
OP
Michael56

Michael56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds good, I was wondering if there was a good additive to compensate. Thanks for your suggestion. Amazon to the rescue.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Does it happen at startup and get quiet when warm? Is it still there when warm?

Like @Burla said, rule out exhaust leaks.

When your engine is cold, reach in through the wheel wells and grab the corners of the heat shields over the exhaust manifolds.

If they are loose, you've got broken exhaust manifold bolts. Many, many of us have had this happen, and some more than once.

Sometimes the exhaust manifolds warp so much that the tick does not fully go away when the engine is warmed up.

It is an easy 1st thing to check for, takes only about 30 seconds to verify, and relatively easy to fix as well.

You are in the right place for help, this forum is awesome.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

OP
OP
Michael56

Michael56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the tip, I’ll check it out and let you know how it goes. It does go away after about a minute.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The "hemi tick" could mean two very different issues. The cam and lifters or the exhaust manifold leak. I think the manifold cracking or the bolts breaking are much more common than the cam and lifters. The exhaust tick should eventually go away or substantially get quieter as the engine gets hot. A cam and lifter issue should eventually set a misfire engine code. Before diving into the lifters I would check the manifolds carefully. If bolts are broken there should be some black soot between the manifolds and cylinder head. You may need to get underneath the truck to put your eyes on the rear manifold bolts

moulin6801

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I gave up on worries about the ticking noise by 40 K mile… now 190K and still going strong… my secret, 93 Oct… use cheap gas if you want, but don’t expect same results…

StansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
This is what mine sounds like after starting it up Wednesday morning. I have an appointment next Tuesday

StansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I'm sorry I got cut off, and must have touched something. I am not good with electronics. I have a 2022 2500 6.4 Tradesman. I have been to the dealer with a metallic sound 4 times, and they say the 6.4 is noisy but normal. Each time I took it back same answer but louder and use to stop after a while. Not so lucky this time, I have an appointment Tuesday. It is not showing any codes, and it seems like that is what they go by even when it's obvious something is wrong. I have been around engine's my whole life, use to rebuild until they got complicated. Here is what it sounds like.