Another motor oil question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WISluggo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, I have read through a bunch of pages on motor oil here and on other forums, but I still need help making a decision. I want to go to a synthetic oil for my first oil change (the truck only has 1k miles), but the choices are so many. A bit about me and my truck:

I live in Wisconsin, so it gets cold but the truck is parked inside. My driving is mostly highway based and my commute is about 40 miles a day in total.

I am looking at redline (pricey), amsoil (not as pricey), and Penzoil Ultra (available locally, and reasonable). Royal Purple is not an option given Burla's post on the reformulation and the lack of Moly. Oil filters will be a Napa brand either gold or platinum.

Should I change the oil early on to get the "break in" oil out, and what would you suggest for oil?

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
check out a manual. Do not vary weights as your mds could be effected.
My truck liked Mobil 1. Seems to be noisier on RP.

Why be willing to spend the extra on synthetic then go with a napa filter? Not knocking them. Just a general question.

RamHemi5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Napa Gold filters are made By Wix. One of the best filters on the Market.

OP
OP
W

WISluggo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought the napa platinum filter was pretty good, the KN are made in Korea and seem to be the same as the fram. I won't vary the weight from 5w20

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you are not going for extended oil change intervals I would go Penzoil Ultra in a second, great oil. Run a oil analysis at 5k, I bet the oil will perform incredible.

OP
OP
W

WISluggo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the advice on Penzoil Ultra! I think I am going to shoot for change intervals at 5k miles, so the penzoil maybe the ticket.

Is there value in changing the break in oil sooner than later?

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I run break in for at least 3k miles. And don't be afraid to get on the throttle. Engines need to break throughout the RPM range.

RamHemi5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
break in at 3000 miles? Oh cmon!! once the rings have set, rip on that mo fo!! LOL

juuustt kidding.....but it is what I do on my race motor, in my sig pic. :)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for the advice on Penzoil Ultra! I think I am going to shoot for change intervals at 5k miles, so the penzoil maybe the ticket.

Is there value in changing the break in oil sooner than later?

Not so funny fact even with 2 quick changes my truck still got a knock early in that oil's cycle, pretty chapped about that but so far so good with the new oil. I am personally old school and like to get that oil out as soon as possible, even a quick change with conventional oil to make sure all the wear metals are expelled, but these Hemi's are so temperamental I would want some good stuff in there pretty soon. I hope you consider investing 25 bones and getting your old penzoil oil analyzed , it will be helpful to you and all of us. Dodge should really think about making synthetic oil mandatory maintenance like many other manufacturers do. With gasoline being blended with ethanol these days, the light weight oil we have to use, the engine lifters being dry at start-up, the dynamics of the hemi engine, we all should be using synthetic oils with extra friction modifiers.

chrisb38002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have always been happy with Mobile 1 oil and filters. used it on my 03 for 9 years, changing every 5-6k miles with no problems. Close to 100K miles when traded and still did not use any oil between changes. And it was not "babied" at all!

OP
OP
W

WISluggo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, my local store doesn't have penzoil ultra, but they did stock Amsoil XL (not signature series). Any thoughts on that brand of amsoil?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The VOA's on that are all over the board, some super great and some are dismal. I imagine it is a group 3 and imagine it would be fine for a 5k change interval, in fact I would think just about any synthetic oil will be just fine for your truck with a 5k interval. If you get a lifter tick then lets talk, but if everything is working great I'd run any synthetic at a 5k change interval. In fact with 5k being your goal, I tend to agree with the other guy on Mobil 1. When it is on sale I think it is around 25 bucks at costco for 6. Also Mobil One filters are semi synthetic, another good choice for 5k intervals.

FYI, all of our trucks use some oil, it is normal.

OP
OP
W

WISluggo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for all the thoughts. Penzoil platinum seems to be a good choice for 5k intervals. It is available at local Walmart and other shops, and seems to be inline with Mobil 1. Maybe I am over thinking all of this...I tend to do that.

Mr. Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT Big Horn CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just took my truck from the dealer. 17k miles. I plan on changing my oil to Mobil 1 5w20 at 20k, then every 5k from then on. Probably with Purolater or Bosch filters.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca