Another Odd Key FOB issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott Wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.1
I've been fighting with both my Key FOBs since I bought this Laramie 2014 new. Both FOBs are very interminent. Tons of battery changes havent helped much. Bending the "cradle" (both the carrier and the terminals) hasnt helped. Unfotunately the dealer was never able to replicate the problem when new/under warranty.

I get interminent responses when opening the doors and usually need to touch the FOB to the iginition in order to start the engine. Ive pretty much given up on using the remote start bc it will very rarely work. I continuely get the "Key FOB not located message any time I open a door when the engine is running.

What does work almost every time to remedy all problems is removing the board from the key FOB (out of the plastic holder and rubber button covers). When I have the "bare" green electronics board and push anything, everything "usually" fuctions perfectly. Once I put either keyfob back together, it then gives me the interminent problems.

The obvious answer would be that I'm not putting the FOB back together correctly but I have done this probably 50 times over the years and it's not complicated so I've ruled that out.

In the next year or so I will sell this truck and I can't ever see buying another Dodge again (plenty of other problems over the 70K miles I've owned it including the front differential).

Any advice/ideas on the Key FOBs is appreciated.

TIA

Last edited:

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've been fighting with both my Key FOBs since I bought this Laramie 2014 new. Both FOBs are very interminent. Tons of battery changes havent helped much. Bending the "cradle" (both the carrier and the terminals) hasnt helped. Unfotunately the dealer was never able to replicate the problem when new/under warranty.

I get interminent responses when opening the doors and usually need to touch the FOB to the iginition in order to start the engine. Ive pretty much given up on using the remote start bc it will very rarely work. I continuely get the "Key FOB not located message any time I open a door when the engine is running.

What does work almost every time to remedy all problems is removing the board from the key FOB (out of the plastic holder and rubber button covers). When I have the "bare" green electronics board. Once I put either keyfob back together, it then gives me the interminent problems.

The obvious answer would be that I'm not putting the FOB back together correctly but I have done this probably 50 times over the years and it's not complicated so I've ruled that out.

In the next year or so I will sell this truck and I can't ever see buying another Dodge again (plenty of other problems over the 70K miles I've owned it including the front differential).

Any advice/ideas on the Key FOBs is appreciated.

TIA
Any time I have an issue with a Fobik where I have to touch the push to start button with the Fobik, I test the transmitter of the Fobik with my TPM/RKE Analyzer and if the key passes, I will replace the Keyless Ignition Node which contains the push to start button. The KIN, or Keyless Ignition Node, does require programming after installation or the vehicle will not start.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
All the contact disks are in place on the rubber?
Clean the circuit board with alcohol too.

ric221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Please don't take this the wrong way. Why bother to fix the problem as you will soon be selling this truck and never buying another Ram. I'm just saying

rwfnetworking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does this happen in certain locations? i.e. only at home, work, etc?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The trouble with some FOBs, is not the circuit board contact points, but the outer case

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Scott, click on this website, check their prices & if you scroll down that page, you will see that they have just the empty Cases for $14.95

https://myaccount.carandtruckremote...archyear=2014&searchmake=RAM&searchmodel=1500

I am going to order the Transponder key for my 2016
The blade goes into the ignition & the head has a microchip in it
I found a Locksmith that will program & cut the blade key for a lot less than the dealership charges. He also sells FOBs

Your Ace Hardware usually has the equipment to program Fobs
They also sell Fobs & RKE type

Last edited: