Another Ram Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sunnysideup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I just became an expert on ram box locking mechanisms My driver box would not unlock so I jimmied it with the key until it opened up. The little green grommet that holds the plunger side of the lock disconnected. Was an easy fix but very poorly engineered. I may drill a hole in the rod that runs thru the lock actuator and cotter pin it .... If I was out in the woods and needed stuff out of it I would have been screwed.

Anyone else have this ?

SunnySideUP

MikeDee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine recently wouldn't lock when I locked the truck. Then a few hours later it did lock. I haven't had the chance to troubleshoot it yet but I wonder if it may be something similar?

OP
OP
Sunnysideup

Sunnysideup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
it has a plunger with one side of the throw with a crappy little green grommet holding it in, the other side attaches to the actual lock , also a crappy little green grommet.

I am going to mod it so they can not come out of the the holes. If the plunger fails it can still be unlocked with the key but if they are not hooked up to the lock I am not sure how one would get it unlocked

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Post up pics of what you do, please. I have not had any issues with mine...yet.

OP
OP
Sunnysideup

Sunnysideup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is all put back together now , basically remove the cover , 5 10MM bolts and a few screws holding the electric plunger , it has a stupid two way throw from the plunger up to the lock.... its a stupid design

I will take some pics after I make it bullet proof. The more I think about it I may just put a circle c on the bottom of the shaft that goes into the throw

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah pics are nice especially for us crazy OCD people who want to prevent future problems.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
do you have a part number for it , I would like to order a few just in case
I may have the part number. I’ll check when I get home from work today. Funny thing is, I have a couple of spares, but that was about 5 years ago. Haven’t had one fail since!

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Known issue with these. Had both break on my 2014 at the same time. Went to the dealer parts department and he just gave me a bunch of those "connectors" and I kept them in the truck incase they broke again.

It's because the lock is actuated EVERY time the doors are unlocked or locked. Plastic is plastic and it'll break eventually. On the 2019+ 1500's they made it so the locks only actuate when you press the button on the Rambox.

MikeDee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took mine apart yesterday and it was the same issue, the plastic tab had popped out. It didn’t appear to be broken… Yet. It’s working now but I imagine it will continue to be a problem.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you get a small hole drilled in the end of the metal rod and put a cotter pin through it? It looks like that would prevent it from falling out.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Well I just became an expert on ram box locking mechanisms My driver box would not unlock so I jimmied it with the key until it opened up. The little green grommet that holds the plunger side of the lock disconnected. Was an easy fix but very poorly engineered. I may drill a hole in the rod that runs thru the lock actuator and cotter pin it .... If I was out in the woods and needed stuff out of it I would have been screwed.

Anyone else have this ?

SunnySideUP

Mine recently wouldn't lock when I locked the truck. Then a few hours later it did lock. I haven't had the chance to troubleshoot it yet but I wonder if it may be something similar?

I took mine apart yesterday and it was the same issue, the plastic tab had popped out. It didn’t appear to be broken… Yet. It’s working now but I imagine it will continue to be a problem.

Hello everyone, we are deeply sorry for this inconvenience! We understand how this is concerning to not have access to your Ram Box. If you intend to visit your dealer for this concern, please know that our team is available to you via private messages for support if needed.

Kathryn
RamCares

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like the exact same clip GM used on tailgate handles for nearly 20years (88-07). They fell apart there too...

nhCris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just had my clips replaced under warranty, both sides were broken. So much of these "offroad" trucks are so cheaply made....shortly after i bought it the whole fascia came off one side off the rambox lid, they are only double sided taped on!!

DaveZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After I bought my new 2016 Ram 2500....I think about 6-7 months after I had similar problems with the boxes...wouldn’t unlock with flob only the actual key. Both boxes green clips broke. Dealer replaced under warranty. My prior vehicle- 2011 ran 1500 never had any problem s in the 6 years I had it

OP
OP
Sunnysideup

Sunnysideup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am going to try to slide a little c circle clamp up the shaft on the back side before drilling it

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is why I wouldn't want Ram boxes. Seems useless and I've heard complaints about them not closing properly!