Another Ram Express Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Excellent information on all of your Mods!

I like the truck much better with the 35" tires. Just something about that stance . . . .

Keep up the good work and the terrific posts.

OP
OP
dearchristopher

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Excellent information on all of your Mods!

I like the truck much better with the 35" tires. Just something about that stance . . . .

Keep up the good work and the terrific posts.

much appreciated. coming from a wrangler on 35s, the truck is much more familiar now.

I need to clean up the interior and post some photos of the sub setup, and the sound deader on the doors and rear wall. those mods were also some pretty inexpensive but big return mods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boostking101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You gave the truck it's balls back!!!!!! Love it! Keep up the build thread!

OP
OP
dearchristopher

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You gave the truck it's balls back!!!!!! Love it! Keep up the build thread!

Lol, thanks man. I admit i miss the way that it looked with the drop, these trucks just look good every different way. I think i will be hooked on the lift kit more once i finally decide on some wheels for the truck. I like the stocks a lot on 35s, but I'm thinking of doing stock Sport wheels, or an offroad wheel in bronze or gun metal.

I'm too picky to make a decision though.

OP
OP
dearchristopher

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's an update on the truck. I haven't done much mod-wise except for the camper shell. I was building a micro camper/square drop recently and unfortunately it was in an accident and basically destroyed.

after licking my wounds, i went back to the table and was kicking around the idea of doing an active cargo system and roof top tent, but i live in a touristy area and wanted a little more stealth. i didn't want to worry about my things being messed with.

i ended up looking around for a decent camper shell, and found a HELL of a deal on a 3rd gen topper. I wasn't totally sure if a 3rd gen topper would fit, but after some supportive comments from a few ram groups on facebook, i pulled the trigger.

the fit is phenomenal. i had to tweak a little on the trim for the rear glass, but i have mostly just been cleaning this thing up.

i-PgctmWv-L.jpg

i-98pjjn8-L.jpg

i-KKQd6QZ-L.jpg

I needed to address the rear glass trim to allow it to both fully shut and seal against the tailgate. This isn't the most elegant solution, but it does work! i also added some additional seal around the glass to be sure that water couldn't creep in. so far it holds up well against water, but it will need a little TLC in some spots. I had plenty of this rubber adhesive gasket so i decided to use it liberally.

i-m6dNfPX-L.jpg

this is actually a seal for the bottom of a garage door. i affixed it to the back of the lower trim that would usually just go OVER the tailgate of a 3rd gen. they do make a molded piece for the rear glass that i will try to track down in the meantime.

i-VZCmKDd-L.jpg

made a pit stop at REI to check out some rack options for the top. too rich for my blood...probably ordering online. I have a setup planned to do a rack + awning + solar panel for a house battery.

i-bTWHpCk-L.jpg

rough placement of my smittybilt 6.5' awning. i bought it for the micro camper and never got to install it. been waiting on a new project to use it for.

i-kw8SVMh-L.jpg

i'm going to digitize my rough sketch for the rear cargo area and post it here in a bit for feedback. please feel free to share your ideas with me! thanks for looking.

OP
OP
dearchristopher

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i-BDH46f4-X3.png

here's my layout idea that im thinking of building out. i like it because it will fold up and create a little more storage, and it can still house some of my random items in the truck bed while we aren't camping.

OP
OP
dearchristopher

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i started pricing rack systems from Yakima, and was not pleased with the cost vs. the structural quality. Im sure they are plenty strong, but i want a solution that holds my smittybilt awning, a solar panel, and storage bins or a spare for when we want to go off-grid. i decided against doing a pieced together solution, since i was already going to be custom-mounting anyway, and just plain building one from scratch.

yakima was going to run about $450+, my new material has me in for $130 right now. i plan on welding and powdercoating, so in the end it'll probably cost around what a yakima solution would. but this will be 100% custom. here are some pics!

i-T8H7zv6-X2.png

i-9kLWwng-XL.jpg

i-TkwHCZz-XL.jpg

i-sTTC5PP-XL.jpg

OP
OP
dearchristopher

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
finally took the truck on it's first camping trip this week

DSC08075-L.jpg

DSC08094-L.jpg

DSC08066-L.jpg

DSC08069-L.jpg

for the first trip, it went great. super comfortable and we only "forgot" a couple things like soap and a sponge and stuff. the camp kitchen is fantastic...having a working sink when you're camping makes a huge difference.

OP
OP
dearchristopher

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do you secure the plywood to the bed ?

i’ve been asked this, i’ve considered strapping it to the tiedown spots at the corners, but it wedges in so tight that it doesn’t move at all. haven’t had to worry about it yet

OP
OP
dearchristopher

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
started a new job (again) recently back in my original hometown, so been offline with the truck. did add some side steps yesterday though that I actually do like. i’m not really a fan of steps, but until I can get amp steps, these should quiet my lady down.

77e40cbf7b181558d04b69243cbf94a6.jpg
03f443ecadb9fc16594918e64ff00872.jpg

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
finally took the truck on it's first camping trip this week

DSC08075-L.jpg

DSC08094-L.jpg

DSC08066-L.jpg

DSC08069-L.jpg

for the first trip, it went great. super comfortable and we only "forgot" a couple things like soap and a sponge and stuff. the camp kitchen is fantastic...having a working sink when you're camping makes a huge difference.

What is the name of that camping kitchen and where did you get it if you dont mind me asking?

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I love how that shade attaches to the truck and good job on the rack I really want a rack for mines and def want that shade as well. Nice looking truck keep up the good work

OP
OP
dearchristopher

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is the name of that camping kitchen and where did you get it if you dont mind me asking?

dont mind at all, it's a GCI Master cook camp kitchen. I got it for a crazy deal on amazon, $45 bucks with prime. i haven't seen it nearly that cheap since, but even at $125 it's a good enough quality to pay that. super convenient setup with the sink and drain.

https://www.gcioutdoor.com/tables-camp-kitchens/master-cook-station/

I love how that shade attaches to the truck and good job on the rack I really want a rack for mines and def want that shade as well. Nice looking truck keep up the good work

thanks man! i love the awning. probably my favorite thing about this setup. you should definitely get one on your truck, it's realistically the most convenient part of this build; we use it very often. perfect for a day at the beach or at a kid's ball game or something. also great for pulling up to the water and fishing.

i-fcg67JD-L.jpg

OP
OP
dearchristopher

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
new wheels!!

ca2670ff91e58c875c1c1a9332ed9949.jpg

340aeebdffde68a17da5b5d61d3ac771.jpg

54d2b5219437e1accc814490b932c6a0.jpg

4c906db78573df9d012736b6a41cdc0a.jpg

went with a Vision Manx 2 in a 20x9” with a -12mm offset

I also am starting the next step on my audio build. c1eef7a8e775a85acb2e7de712725099.jpg

super excited to see how they turn out. they’re made for the ram’s fitment so I have high hopes.

xFURIOUSJONESx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The first real mod I did was add a hitch to the truck. I bought the thing with factory trailer brakes, and it didn't come with a hitch. how weird is that?

i-MNXMXdr-X4.jpg
they're cheap, thankfully.

the next mod I did was remote start, because my jeep had it and the new truck didn't. I got too spoiled.

i-FJvrxS5-X4.jpg

The remote start install was very straight forward, just had to install the electric hood latch, pin the harness with the sensor wire, and then have the truck flashed with the sales codes. now I have 4 keys!

Was it difficult to have the truck flashed for the remote start. I plan on adding remote start to my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
dearchristopher

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was it difficult to have the truck flashed for the remote start. I plan on adding remote start to my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

not at all. just had to pay like 120 bucks to have it flashed. took around 35 min