Antenna help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I've had a shorty antenna for the past two years. It has worked well, but when I went to remove it today, it snapped off below the surrounding surface. Apparently, the adapter post wasn't stainless and rusted/corroded in the mount. I've ordered a new mount from my dealership, but it looks like a real pain to install. Do any of you have any tips to guide me to success. Thanks for any and all suggestions!

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Soak it in Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster first.

Take a picture. Hopefully some of the stud is still exposed and you can use vice grips. If not, you will need to drill a small hole and use a screw extractor. It will help if you can find a left hand drill bit and drill the hole backwards, that way you are not making more work for yourself. Most industrial supply places have them or order online.

OP
OP
Sweetee

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Soak it in Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster first.

Take a picture. Hopefully some of the stud is still exposed and you can use vice grips. If not, you will need to drill a small hole and use a screw extractor. It will help if you can find a left hand drill bit and drill the hole backwards, that way you are not making more work for yourself. Most industrial supply places have them or order online.

Success! The adapter post twisted off below the surface of the mount. Rather than drill it out and try to tap new threads(didn't want to bring a drill anywhere near my paint), I ordered a new antenna mount and plastic shroud from my dealer. My cost for both was $13.00.

After studying the situation, I decided to use the "two string" method. I attached a string to the end of the cable and another string to the mount. I disconnected the cable behind the kick panel and pushed it through the body after pulling the grommet out. After I unscrewed the nut on the mount, the mount dropped down and I used a grabber with a trigger claw to grab the string. I then pulled the string and the mount up and out between the fender and the hood hinge. As I pulled the mount up and out, the lower string stayed with the cable end. I attached the new cable end to the lower string. After I fished the mount back in between the fender and the hinge, I maneuvered the mount into position. With a little help with a yard stick to move the sound deadening foam out of the way, I was able to pull the cable end into the space in front of the door opening so that I could feed it into the passenger compartment.

As much as I liked the shorter antenna for looks, I have to take the blame for going with a "cheap" product that rusted and caused the problem. No matter what antenna I had, I still had to remove it for the wash. Also, I placed a dab of white grease on the threads to insure easy removal in the future. Sometimes its the little things that cause the problems.:Stupid Me:

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
What brand was it? I'm considering a Metra but don't want junk.

OP
OP
Sweetee

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
No, I meant the aftermarket shorty antenna. Or did you use a shorter Mopar part?

The shorter (13") antenna was from O'Reilly's. However, I don't blame O'Reilly's anymore than other sources as it is similar to ones I've seen elsewhere too. The problem is that the adapter posts were not stainless and eventually rusted in the mount. The trouble and cost involved in correcting the situation isn't worth having a shorter antenna with less reception. Especially since I still had to remove it whenever taking my truck through the free car wash at my dealership. To each there own, but having a fully functioning antenna back is a good thing!:favorites13:

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The shorter (13") antenna was from O'Reilly's. However, I don't blame O'Reilly's anymore than other sources as it is similar to ones I've seen elsewhere too. The problem is that the adapter posts were not stainless and eventually rusted in the mount. The trouble and cost involved in correcting the situation isn't worth having a shorter antenna with less reception. Especially since I still had to remove it whenever taking my truck through the free car wash at my dealership. To each there own, but having a fully functioning antenna back is a good thing!:favorites13:

I hear ya. I wish I could just cut down the stocker and solder on a replacement ball to avoid a sharp tip. It's not a huge deal but wit my luck...

OP
OP
Sweetee

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I hear ya. I wish I could just cut down the stocker and solder on a replacement ball to avoid a sharp tip. It's not a huge deal but wit my luck...

There is a thread somewhere here that shows how to do it. However, I'm probably like you and it wouldn't turn out well. Good luck. If you kept the adapter post lubricated, the shorter, aftermarket antenna may work for you, but I don't want to take the chance.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
There is a thread somewhere here that shows how to do it. However, I'm probably like you and it wouldn't turn out well. Good luck. If you kept the adapter post lubricated, the shorter, aftermarket antenna may work for you, but I don't want to take the chance.

I was just worried about someone or something impaling themselves on my cut antenna, lol. I am decent at fabbing things but not so good at luck. I would use an aftermarket one if it mounted just like the factory one and was made of steel but I don't think those are available. Whacking tree branches with the antenna at 50mph can't be good for the fender, would like to shorten it for sure. I rarely listen to the radio.