Any concerns about running Redline 5w30 in the winter time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crusader556

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been running PUP 5w20 on my 2014 Longhorn since I got used in 2016 with about 26k miles and it has 58k miles now.

It has the 5.7 Hemi and after reading about lifter/cam issues I want to ensure long engine life since I plan to keep it for as long as possible. At this time I have no engine issues. It is running perfectly and I want to keep it that way.

I have an oil change coming up in mid August and I am planning on switching to Redline 5w30. It's still the middle of summer but this coming oil change will probably see me through the next winter. The oil filter I will be using is the Puralator BOSS PBL12222. I've had great luck with it so I will probably stick with it for now.

I just wanted to check in here and see if there is anything I should be concerned about with running Redline 5w30 during the winter time. I am probably over thinking it but I just want to make sure it won't make things worse on the lifter bearings than sticking with PUP 5w20.

Thanks!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Cold Piston Slap is a possibility, 0w30 redline has been proven better at deviating this, depending on how it goes you may need to consider 0w20. I say the 0w30 is the way to go as one of our main guys testing this from day one who has hemi tick, has had great results with 0w30 redline.

Now, if you don't have any tick, I wouldn't worry too much. I would suggest doing your own oil change and look for metal, and send off for a uoa. This would let you know how that engine is wearing. If you have no tick, you may even want to just run 5w20 redline, especially in winter.

OP
OP
Crusader556

Crusader556

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Burla!

I have never sent out a sample for a UOA. Who would recommend for doing the UOA?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks Burla!

I have never sent out a sample for a UOA. Who would recommend for doing the UOA?

Blackstone is incredible, they catch everything. You request a kit, they send it for free. 10 dollars more for tbn if you have any desire to do a long interval. You send a check back with the kit, my last one was 28 to see wear number. Take sample a little warm, not hot, and fill the container, they need it full for a couple of their tests.

OP
OP
Crusader556

Crusader556

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, I just got on Blackstone's site and put in for a free kit, thanks again Burla!

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 50k miles and truck runs great but i switch to the redline 5w30 for summer months and in november im going to switch it for 5w20 redline because i have it sitting here.
We get very cold minus -40c here though.

I also ordered the oil kit sucks shipping to return for me is around $25 bucks haha.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Okay, I just got on Blackstone's site and put in for a free kit, thanks again Burla!

We have a blackstone thread in sticky section, when you get yours you can upload it without your personal information, blackstone has a way to do that. Post your uoa in the blackstone thread for feedback if you would like some, but blackstone also gives you good notes on what issues you have or don't have.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will go read the thread, curious if they can tell you if the lifters are bad...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
We had a guy take 3 uoa's as his lifters were failing, I wish I could find the thread, long before the blackstone thread existed. His wear was like huge iron numbers, his wear was huge. Free cookies for anyone can find that thread.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
We had a guy take 3 uoa's as his lifters were failing, I wish I could find the thread, long before the blackstone thread existed. His wear was like huge iron numbers, his wear was huge. Free cookies for anyone can find that thread.

The trick is to rememeber the keywords. Then go to google.com, and in the box type (without the quotes)
"site:www.ramforum.com uoa lifter blackstone iron ... .... " etc.

All the results you get back from google will be from this forum, might help. I find forum software to have search features that are really poor.