Any idea if the Monroe Quick-Strut or another strut can be taken apart?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any idea if the Monroe Quick-Strut or another strut in the same price point area can be taken apart?

That would give me a new oem spring, the spring perch and mounting bracket since I need spring perches for the Bilstein 5100's and my truck doesn't have the original oem shocks. My mechanic called Ram and they don't sell the perches separately they don't even have apart number for it. I have to think not offering this small part on these kits has to reduce the sales for the manufacturers.

Last edited:

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Your best option is a used strut from a salvage yard. The item you seek is not available from MA Mopar and I've only found one viable alternative and that suggestion was offered previously

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
what he said ^^^ search the salvage yards.
Try searching here: www.car-part.com

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any idea if the Monroe Quick-Strut or another strut in the same price point area can be taken apart?

That would give me a new oem spring, the spring perch and mounting bracket since I need spring perches for the Bilstein 5100's and my truck doesn't have the original oem shocks. My mechanic called Ram and they don't sell the perches separately they don't even have apart number for it. I have to think not offering this small part on these kits has to reduce the sales for the manufacturers.
A little confusing, but are saying you are not necessarily looking for a factory perch, but moreso a complete shock setup? If so, yea there are several options.

OP
OP
Farmingdales Finest
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A little confusing, but are saying you are not necessarily looking for a factory perch, but moreso a complete shock setup? If so, yea there are several options.
What I am asking is since my truck is 10 years old and I bought it 8 years ago used, I have no idea of everything under there so I am looking to make sure I have consistency. If I can take apart an OEM replacement shock and put the parts one would need on either the Bilstein or Eibach struts I would have everything new and not have some stuff with over 100k on it and some of it new. That's just stupid IMO. I truly can't believe that these companies are making the consumers repurpose old parts.

We as consumers should be able to buy plug and play upgrades and not have only this hodge podge of parts that need additional parts to be functional.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What I am asking is since my truck is 10 years old and I bought it 8 years ago used, I have no idea of everything under there so I am looking to make sure I have consistency. If I can take apart an OEM replacement shock and put the parts one would need on either the Bilstein or Eibach struts I would have everything new and not have some stuff with over 100k on it and some of it new. That's just stupid IMO. I truly can't believe that these companies are making the consumers repurpose old parts.

We as consumers should be able to buy plug and play upgrades and not have only this hodge podge of parts that need additional parts to be functional.
The Bilstein 5100’s come with a spring perch. Ram does sell the springs, spring seat, isolator and top mount separately. While the individual parts aren’t cheap, especially the coil springs, I saw on bamwholesale parts that the are clearing out old stock springs for up to 90 percent off. You could also check with Benny on this site as he works for Mopar parts and may be able to hook you up.

Attachments

• IMG_1615.jpeg
    IMG_1615.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
Farmingdales Finest
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Bilstein 5100’s come with a spring perch. Ram does sell the springs, spring seat, isolator and top mount separately. While the individual parts aren’t cheap, especially the coil springs, I saw on bamwholesale parts that the are clearing out old stock springs for up to 90 percent off. You could also check with Benny on this site as he works for Mopar parts and may be able to hook you up.
Thank you this was very helpful. I assume this is something new with perches because 5 years ago I bought the 5100's and they didn't and it was why I contacted Pro Comp and they replaced my front leveling struts that was on my truck which crapped out again.

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you this was very helpful. I assume this is something new with perches because 5 years ago I bought the 5100's and they didn't and it was why I contact Pro Comp and they replaced my front leveling struts that was on my truck which crapped out again.
I’m going to assume the 5100’s sold now are the same as the ones I put on my truck four years ago. Mine came with the perch. When I took apart the OEM struts to get the springs and the top mounts I absolutely messed up the OEM top mounts. Stripped the nut and had to cut the mounts to get the nut off. OEM replacements were stupid expensive so I used the Monroe “strut mate” mounts and they came with the isolator. About half the price of OEM. Four years later and they are holding up well without issue.

Side note mine is 4WD. Not familiar with the 2WD setup or if the shocks are different.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you look at the parts diagram on a Mopar website you’ll see the OEM strut cartridge has the perch attached and it’s welded on. Hopefully you have the 4WD and this clears up any confusion.

OP
OP
Farmingdales Finest
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m going to assume the 5100’s sold now are the same as the ones I put on my truck four years ago. Mine came with the perch. When I took apart the OEM struts to get the springs and the top mounts I absolutely messed up the OEM top mounts. Stripped the nut and had to cut the mounts to get the nut off. OEM replacements were stupid expensive so I used the Monroe “strut mate” mounts and they came with the isolator. About half the price of OEM. Four years later and they are holding up well without issue.

Side note mine is 4WD. Not familiar with the 2WD setup or if the shocks are different.
So if I am understanding what you wrote the only thing you need to do with the 5100's is now replace the coil springs and the mount kit that is available at any auto parts store if I want all new rather than repurposing old struts?

Is there anything else that the struts don't come with?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So if I am understanding what you wrote the only thing you need to do with the 5100's is now replace the coil springs and the mount kit that is available at any auto parts store if I want all new rather than repurposing old struts?

Is there anything else that the struts don't come with?
Yes Sir. You will need the springs and the top mount with isolator. The Monroe Strut Mates had the isolator already attached, don’t know about other brands. The Bilsteins came with the perch, lock clip to adjust height, jounce bumpers and the top mounting nut.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have concerns about what you have versus what you need try reaching out to Nick and gotexhaust in the vendor section. He has great prices on the Bilstein kits and can probably answer any questions about what comes in the box with the Bils.

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
Yes Sir. You will need the springs and the top mount with isolator. The Monroe Strut Mates had the isolator already attached, don’t know about other brands. The Bilsteins came with the perch, lock clip to adjust height, jounce bumpers and the top mounting nut.

The Bilsteins I bought 2 years ago did not come with the spring perches and I had to reuse the ones that came off the original offroad struts. (No the originals weren't welded on. Just snug)
20240122_071207.jpg
Makes me wonder if there are two bilstein part numbers one with and one with out them.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Makes me wonder if there are two bilstein part numbers one with and one with out them.
Makes me wonder now also. I purchased mine as a 5100 kit for both front and rear. I have a 2018 4X4 crew cab BigHorn. My OEM struts had the spring perch tack welded onto the strut body so the whole strut cartridge was disposable. My Bilsteins were marked B8 5100 and included the perch which was not welded on and just slipped down over the strut onto the adjustable height locking clip. I looked up my front struts on the Bilstein website and they show the perch as part of the unit that comes in the box. Leads me to wonder if there are specific Bilstein struts for new installs and Bilstein replacement cartridges for previous installs.

Attachments

• IMG_1620.jpeg
    IMG_1620.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1617.png
    IMG_1617.png
    145.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1616.jpeg
    IMG_1616.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 7

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I found the install instructions. The third sentence after IMPORTANT: Place circlip in appropriate grove to adjust ride height, states. Install the supplied spring seat in the direction shown only. Hope the OP gets the correct struts for his truck.

Attachments

• IMG_1621.png
    IMG_1621.png
    145.2 KB · Views: 5