Any known issues with oem projector headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
2014 ram oem projectors
Hid kit from retroshop ran great for years

One low beam went out a couple months ago
Tried replacing the bulb and that didn’t fix it
Replaced HID parts and didn’t fix it
Swapped the working headlight to the non working side to eliminate possibilities and the headlight worked.

After I tried plugging it back in to the correct side it stopped working now neither low beam is working.

Electrical issue? Too hot in Vegas and circuit boards are going bad?
I have some alpharex led headlights coming Thursday. Are my oem headlights garbage?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So your using an aftermarket HID lights in the OEM headlights that's designed for halogens but your wondering if the OEM headlights are garbage because the aftermarket stuff doesn't work?

I'm guessing it's a bad muffler bearing..

OP
OP
W

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
They worked great for several years. Just wondering if it’s known for a circuit board or something to go bad. Thanks for being a *******

OP
OP
W

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I’m not inferring that oem headlights are bad quality. I was asking if they are going in the garbage because they no longer work or would they be easily fixed if it’s a circuit board

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m not inferring that oem headlights are bad quality. I was asking if they are going in the garbage because they no longer work or would they be easily fixed if it’s a circuit board
The inside of the lights isn't complicated. Just an extension of the wiring from the vehicle, with the exception of the led turn signals. Everything else is mechanical in nature. If you're having issues, buy a set of cheap halogen bulbs and toss them in and verify they work. If those don't work, then you need to verify you have voltage going into the lights. Check your fuses in the fuse panel. If the lights work like they should with halogen bulbs, then it sounds like your truck is not happy with the adapter harness (I believe the older adapter harnesses had issues), or you've got an issue with the ballasts or relays triggering the hid kit (not sure what hid kit you're using). So, start at the basics, swap halogen bulbs into the housings to verify they work.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't think they HID bulbs last as long as advertised. Mine went two years tops and I don't put a lot of miles on.

OP
OP
W

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
The inside of the lights isn't complicated. Just an extension of the wiring from the vehicle, with the exception of the led turn signals. Everything else is mechanical in nature. If you're having issues, buy a set of cheap halogen bulbs and toss them in and verify they work. If those don't work, then you need to verify you have voltage going into the lights. Check your fuses in the fuse panel. If the lights work like they should with halogen bulbs, then it sounds like your truck is not happy with the adapter harness (I believe the older adapter harnesses had issues), or you've got an issue with the ballasts or relays triggering the hid kit (not sure what hid kit you're using). So, start at the basics, swap halogen bulbs into the housings to verify they work.
thank you for the help and insight. Only the low beams don’t work everything else does. Do I need to find a pin diagram to test certain pins on the connector? I’ll stop and get some halogen bulbs after work

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
thank you for the help and insight. Only the low beams don’t work everything else does. Do I need to find a pin diagram to test certain pins on the connector? I’ll stop and get some halogen bulbs after work
Swap bulbs and check fuses and report back from there. The system isn't that complicated and there's only a few things that could be wrong. Bad ballasts/bulbs, bad harness, blown fuses, bad headlight switch or burnt pigtail. Keep it simple and don't overthink it.

OP
OP
W

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Changed out bulbs that did not change anything, still no low beams. Gonna go back out and check fuses.

I checked F10 and F14 they looked good. Unplugged the battery to try to reset the bcm.

Attachments

• 39D0DBA9-18B3-4D78-BC9E-EE4D47037A70.jpeg
    39D0DBA9-18B3-4D78-BC9E-EE4D47037A70.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My guess is there's an issue with the adapter harness. Check power at the original headlamp plug, 3 wires, (high, low, ground).

SeaRefractor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While not a solution for your problem but I do see you have ordered a set, I love my AlphaRex Pro headlights. If they don't work on install, you'll need to troubleshoot your harnesses/wiring. If they work, great! Then it was something with the OEM housing internal wiring or something.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
2014 ram oem projectors
Hid kit from retroshop ran great for years

One low beam went out a couple months ago
Tried replacing the bulb and that didn’t fix it
Replaced HID parts and didn’t fix it
Swapped the working headlight to the non working side to eliminate possibilities and the headlight worked.

After I tried plugging it back in to the correct side it stopped working now neither low beam is working.

Electrical issue? Too hot in Vegas and circuit boards are going bad?
I have some alpharex led headlights coming Thursday. Are my oem headlights garbage?

Mine were the ignitors. $25 fix per side

rubes7202

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, my lights are halogen projector types. Dealer is chasing an electrical issue to figure out why in the heck the driver side light goes out intermintently.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Changed out bulbs that did not change anything, still no low beams. Gonna go back out and check fuses.

I checked F10 and F14 they looked good. Unplugged the battery to try to reset the bcm.
I know I'm late to the party, but "visual" check of a fuse is not a good test. You want at minimum a continuity meter/checker. Preferably a way to put a small load on it, make sure it isn't some ****/loose crap that happens to "land" just right, but an ohm meter/continuity is minimum required to check a fuse.

Robert J

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, my lights are halogen projector types. Dealer is chasing an electrical issue to figure out why in the heck the driver side light goes out intermintently.
Your 2015 Ram is different that others concerning its headlights. My son's 2015 Ram Sport was having the same exact problem with the drivers light going out intermittently. Here's a good article concerning the 2015 problem: https://blog.betterautomotivelighting.com/2015-dodge-ram-led-and-hid-problems-solved

I ordered the following relay for him and so far he hasn't had any problems. It's actually quite simple to install. https://www.headlightrevolution.com/hd-relay-9005-H-9005_2?quantity=1

Hope this helps.

Elvira

Reaction score
The 2015 Ram's BCM were notorious for the headlights going out with a different bulb set up. They did not work well with anything but the halogen's they came stock with. Some exciters and relays worked, but they also were a hit and miss item for a constant working headlight.