Any reason I shouldn't cut open the rest of the grill?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

Rogues Gambit

I don't get why some cars/trucks have a tiny portion of their grills open and the rest are blocked off.

So, anyone have any reason I shouldn't open it to let more air in?

OP
OP
R

Rogues Gambit

Any reason why you should? Is your truck overheating? Engineers put a lot of energies into design/function.
Is hacking it up somehow going to improve the operation of the vehicle?

I'm the guy who buys vented hoods for my cars if I got the $$$ for it, so figure why not increase the cooling

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So your one of those guys that fixes problems that dont exist? I mean, is the truck overheating? Whats the problem here?

bigdave2212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
You can't fix stupid sometimes.......

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I'm the guy who buys vented hoods for my cars if I got the $$$ for it, so figure why not increase the cooling
Creating a bunch of drag and swirl doees not mean better cooling. The object is to force air through the heat exchangers as efficiently as possible. Why do you think there is a shroud on the radiator?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depends on which part you are wanting to open.
If referring to the side panels on each side of the grille, that wouldn't help as they direct air into the rad.

I do not know exactly what the Rebel grille looks like on the 2019 to know what part you are referring to.

Removing the shutters will also accomplish what you wish, but at a cost.

Last edited:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Creating a bunch of drag and swirl doees not mean better cooling. The object is to force air through the heat exchangers as efficiently as possible. Why do you think there is a shroud on the radiator?

So the fan pulls the air through the rad vs. the open area between the rad and fan blades. It doesn't help with the air in part to the rad. You can still choke flow before the rad. - such as what the shutters do when closed.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I don't get why some cars/trucks have a tiny portion of their grills open and the rest are blocked off.

So, anyone have any reason I shouldn't open it to let more air in?
The opening is big enough to allow the air volume needed to cool the vehicle goes through and blocks the excess amount from going through the engine compartment. It's done for aerodynamic and fuel efficiency purposes. Much like how NASCAR will use 200 mph tape over the radiator to get more speed during qualifying.
As someone else pointed out if your not overheating there is nothing to be gained by opening anything up. If you are overheating check the cooling system first.
Chances are by opening things up not only do you lose the aerodynamic effeciency but also fuel efficiency due to excessive heat loss(both gas and diesel engines are effected).

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depends on which part you are wanting to open.
If referring to the side panels on each side of the grille, that wouldn't help as they direct air into the rad.

I do not know exactly what the Rebel grille looks like on the 2019 to know what part you are referring to.

Removing the shutters will also accomplish what you wish, but at a cost.
What's the cost of the shutter delete?

Asking as my '18 Rebel came from the dealer with them deleted. As I found out when I did the headlights, and realized the shutters were missing.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's the cost of the shutter delete?

Asking as my '18 Rebel came from the dealer with them deleted. As I found out when I did the headlights, and realized the shutters were missing.
Generally it’s free as every vehicle came with them and the ones without were removed by the owner

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Generally it’s free as every vehicle came with them and the ones without were removed by the owner
Paco's implied there was some downside to the delete, which I was not aware of. Only thing I can think of is it might take longer to get warm in the cold. Which it never has... Heat starts blowing in like 30s if I just release the brakes, but the engine never seems to get more than maybe 2 degrees above the thermostat. (IE like 205, on the stock 203). The 5-30 I have in it now I have seen hit 210 once. Tranny hasn't gotten much above 200 either. (Dungrees Frankenstein to clarify!)

But again, bought my Rebel new off the lot, just after they hit my dealer, and it came with out shutters. It has the frame, but...

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Yeah, not every vehicle came with shutters from the factory. I bought my 2017 new as well, never had shutters. What many vehicles did come with was the frame to install the shutters into. This is behind my grille.

BehindGrille.jpg

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Paco's implied there was some downside to the delete, which I was not aware of. Only thing I can think of is it might take longer to get warm in the cold. Which it never has... Heat starts blowing in like 30s if I just release the brakes, but the engine never seems to get more than maybe 2 degrees above the thermostat. (IE like 205, on the stock 203). The 5-30 I have in it now I have seen hit 210 once. Tranny hasn't gotten much above 200 either. (Dungrees Frankenstein to clarify!)

But again, bought my Rebel new off the lot, just after they hit my dealer, and it came with out shutters. It has the frame, but...

Yeah, not every vehicle came with shutters from the factory. I bought my 2017 new as well, never had shutters. What many vehicles did come with was the frame to install the shutters into. This is behind my grille.

View attachment 505268
Are either of your trucks 6spd? As far as I knew every 8spd had the shutters. I don’t see why it would be a parts shortage issue. Also most people remove them for performance to help force more air across the radiator under higher speeds which is better for towing too but generally the shutters open up full to allow airflow if the trans gets to warm.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Are either of your trucks 6spd? As far as I knew every 8spd had the shutters. I don’t see why it would be a parts shortage issue. Also most people remove them for performance to help force more air across the radiator under higher speeds which is better for towing too but generally the shutters open up full to allow airflow if the trans gets to warm.
Nope, 2017 1500 is an 8spd. I never had shutters, and I have a bunch of friends that are in RAMs that never had them either. There were no parts shortages back then, shutters just weren't a standard thing across the full lineup.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope, 2017 1500 is an 8spd. I never had shutters, and I have a bunch of friends that are in RAMs that never had them either. There were no parts shortages back then, shutters just weren't a standard thing across the full lineup.
Boggling. I wonder what the reasoning was

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
The world may never know.. LOL. I'm not sure that it became standard until 5th Gen, don't know for sure. Obviously from the pic I posted, there was a standard grille which could accept the shutters, but (on mine) there was no connector, motor or wiring. Not only did I buy mine new, but I had ordered it.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I bought a new Rebel back in 2017, and remember reading on a Rebel forum something about Rebels not having AGS. I can't confirm this, just that I remember reading that. My Rebel didn't have them, so it seemed reasonable at the time.

Kenobi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L Diesel
Another thing to consider when opening the grill more or installing hood vents - now water (rain, snow, etc) will get into new places that could rust because the engineers expected no water in those places.