Anyone Else Hate The Sound Of Their Horn?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The solution to the delay is quite obvious. Rather than succumbing to the urge to give someone a "quick toot" on the horn, just wait patiently for them to regain their attention and move along. Is the extra few seconds you gain by beeping at them really worth startling or embarrassing them, perhaps causing them to over-react and swerve, suddenly accelerate, etc. Just let the idiots be idiots and don't add to the problem by beeping at them (it just confuses them more). When the horn is really needed (impending collision, someone about to step off the curb, etc....)you need to lean on it anyway for a long hard blast, and the short delay becomes irrelevent.

Adapt, improvise, overcome, and spend your money on a productive or more effective modification than new horns......except for the one who has a broken one. By all means get it fixed.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually I just get annoyed that I cant "quick beep" to say hello to a neighbor, etc.

So I just wave now, but with tinted windows Im not sure they even see me. So then I wonder if they think Im mad at them.

All because FCA/RAM/whoever chose to run the horn through the BCM and 2 relays, which must add plenty of latency into the system so a simple horn is no longer simple.

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Under advisement Dr. Phil. Thanks.
I also use it to say whats up to friends or neighbors, but thats probably wrong too i guess.
Sorry had to be a smartass

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The solution to the delay is quite obvious. Rather than succumbing to the urge to give someone a "quick toot" on the horn, just wait patiently for them to regain their attention and move along. Is the extra few seconds you gain by beeping at them really worth startling or embarrassing them, perhaps causing them to over-react and swerve, suddenly accelerate, etc. Just let the idiots be idiots and don't add to the problem by beeping at them (it just confuses them more). When the horn is really needed (impending collision, someone about to step off the curb, etc....)you need to lean on it anyway for a long hard blast, and the short delay becomes irrelevent.

Adapt, improvise, overcome, and spend your money on a productive or more effective modification than new horns......except for the one who has a broken one. By all means get it fixed.

Let me tell you, the short delay is not irrevelant when you have a vehicle coming across the line into your lane and you have no place to go to avoid them.

It's the difference between being on the line and correcting or being over it....

I only use my horn for such emergencies, not for tooting as you put it.

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Actually I just get annoyed that I cant "quick beep" to say hello to a neighbor, etc.

So I just wave now, but with tinted windows Im not sure they even see me. So then I wonder if they think Im mad at them.

All because FCA/RAM/whoever chose to run the horn through the BCM and 2 relays, which must add plenty of latency into the system so a simple horn is no longer simple.

So how does your neighbor know the difference between a "Beep" that means hello and one that means "duck and roll so you don't get run over"? I'd argue that horns are for warning people that something bad is about to happen if they don't change their course, not for social interactions or asking people how their lumbago is reacting to the recent weather conditions.

I used to beep every time I'd pass my in-laws house, but they asked me to stop, because they didn't know if someone was greeting them, or someone was about to run into their house again (something that happened several times over the years.)

Do like the rest of the modern world does. Greet your neighbor with an impersonal text.....but not while driving. Or like I do, I roll down the window and shout "Hello, Fred....hows it hangin'?"

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So how does your neighbor know the difference between a "Beep" that means hello and one that means "duck and roll so you don't get run over"?

I typically do two quick Beep Beeps to acknowledge someone, or thank someone for letting me go. It is very difficult to do it with this horn that runs through the computer.

Here in NY we have different kinds of beeps, lots of different kinds of beeps.

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
In NY, you just need one horn that says "Can't you see I'm WALKIN' HERE!".

In Western PA, I tried beeping at the deer who like to run right at my bumper (I think it's because they've never seen anything as ugly as my Rebel grille, and they want to get a closer look). They don't seem to respond to the horn, so I stopped that (the neighbors probably thought I was saying "hello", and I don't want them to think I'm that friendly anyway.)

I know where you're coming from with both the delay and the actual sound of the horn. I also considered hard-wiring a separate horn to something loud and obnoxious. Researched it, planned it out, almost made the Amazon purchase.....then came to the realization that I was perfectly happy just not using my horn very much at all and I spent the money on a couple cases of Malt Duck. So that's when I adopted this "live and let live and don't beep" mantra. It give a sense of ZEN when I just sit and stare at some moron in traffic, that I previously would have beeped at. Somehow, the silence and their embarrassed lurch when they realize the light turned 5 seconds ago is just a rewarding as a horn alert.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly I am surprised that in this world where everyone is easily offended and immediately gets their feelings hurt that they have not mandated that vehicles should not have a horn. Because, as we all know, using the horn is an act of aggression.

tbone63

Fast & Furious ish
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Typically there's 2 horns that point at each other and together make a harmonic sound. If your horn is wimpy then one of them is not working. The Ram's delay and lack of a short beep is indeed annoying.

My dads old 68 Cadillac Deville had 4 horns. It sounded like a train!

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Typically there's 2 horns that point at each other and together make a harmonic sound. If your horn is wimpy then one of them is not working. The Ram's delay and lack of a short beep is indeed annoying.

My dads old 68 Cadillac Deville had 4 horns. It sounded like a train!

Exactly! Most vehicle horns sound two different notes...anyway, while I looked at the PIAA set a previous poster mentioned, I'm considering this from yet another poster on another thread here. I love the thought of a compact air setup!

https://wolo-mfg.com/horns/air-horns/model-619-big-bad-max.html

TXCOMT

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, the low note on mine is no longer working so all you hear is the high note.

From inside the truck it sounds like a clown car. From outside the truck its barely audible when you are parked....while you are driving Ive confirmed NO ONE else can hear it.

tbone63

Fast & Furious ish
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
68 Caddy was pretty close to this....

NOW THAT'S A HORN!!

Last edited:

tbone63

Fast & Furious ish
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
This is it! Trick is make sure they point at each other when installing!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well folks, forgot to try my horn today.

jbrown5030

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'm fairly certain I have the horn from my 64 Valiant somewhere. I wonder if that would be better

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve honked once and it was to ops check my new steering wheel. Was confused there was a delay.

I do miss being able to do the light tap of the horn to get the faint noise to get someone’s attention or to say hi/bye. Seems like it’s either nothing or a loud honk after the delay.

I like reading people’s opinions on when and how other people should use their horn though and their perception of the proper protocol for horns...makes me want to use my horn a lot more, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I’ve honked once and it was to ops check my new steering wheel. Was confused there was a delay.

I do miss being able to do the light tap of the horn to get the faint noise to get someone’s attention or to say hi/bye. Seems like it’s either nothing or a loud honk after the delay.

I like reading people’s opinions on when and how other people should use their horn though and their perception of the proper protocol for horns...makes me want to use my horn a lot more, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or, like the bumper sticker says, horn broken, watch for finger!

Fnjoey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The OEM horns are at best adequate. The real issue is they're not really truck-like. Do they warn someone? Yes. But they do not make it obvious the big @$$ truck bearing down on them is the one doing the warning. This set up sound more like a family sedan or SUV.

At least they don't sound like a ricey little eco-clown car.

Exactly!! I hate the delay and I though something was wrong with it.. I was about to start tearing things apart. And just last night I had to use my horn twice, once because the jack ass in front of me was doing 30mph in a 45 no passing zone and stopped in the middle of the road, and then some asshile in a jeep wrangler legit cut me off while exiting the highway and I had to let them know I'm right here!!! ***** horn... I felt embarrassed for my truck.. I've been thinking of the air horn set up just so it sounds like get the **** out of my way!! Living in NJ is no fun when you have a wimpy horn.. I get cut off at least twice on my daily commute, having a horn blaster and scaring the **** out of them would sure put a smile on my face.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
While in the USA I refrain from honking my horn, don't want to **** anybody off. Fine with the way it sounds for the amount of time I use it.