Anyone install shift kits?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Both the DSP and the SC will give you better transmission performance. The advantage the DSP has though is its custom tuning capabilities. There are not a whole lot of people on the forum who have a fully tuned/custom tuned engine and trans. The engine tunes make your truck nice and smooth, the trans make it run like a beast. I would absolutely choose tuning over ripping into the trans because of the things tuning can do that just doing the shift kit cant. For instance with the shift kit you have to install a resistor to make the line pressure go up, that works fine however it gives you increased line pressure where you really dont need it and shouldnt have it such as OD gears and reverse. With a custom tune (not the user adjustable ones or the ones that come on the programmer, an actual custom tune for your truck) you can get the line pressures increased for each gear individually and so that some can have more or less than others. You can also have the torque converter lock up adjusted, raise your max shift points up to 7000rpm without manually shifting (so in Drive the entire time, mine shifts right around 6600rpm @WOT something you could not do without manually shifting before) at WOT, adjust part throttle points for 1st-5th up and 5th-1st down and at tighter intervals to give you better control over how the truck responds unlike the user adjustments which really only give you control over 1st-3rd and 3rd-1st and larger intervals (the superchips can get you a little more user control over shift points. You wont get that level of control with a shift kit.

I have mine tuned and I can personally say there is a night and day difference between the preloaded tunes, user updated tunes and a fully custom tuned trans. There is no comparison on how the truck reacts and drives between all 3.

OP
OP
chedched

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
From what I can tell the SC has more trans options. That is my main concern. I also want to up the economy if possible...

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
SC will be more user friendly far as what you can do. The DSP will do just like Ryan said but will take a CMR tuner to do it correctly.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
A written tune buy a tuner. Hemifever is on here who does it with a DSP but its gonna be over your budget if $175 is top dollar.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
From what I can tell the SC has more trans options. That is my main concern. I also want to up the economy if possible...

As others have said already, SC has more USER based adjustment as far as transmission tuning goes, the DSP has more potential though as it can tune your whole truck (if you ever decide to mess with the engine and cam it you will need one to go with a bigger cam). The tune I had written for it was from a guy not on this forum and it ran $40 and he sends out little tweaks to it here and there. With that bit of tuning on top of my engine tune it runs like a whole diferent animal.

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
Man i miss gold ole shift kits had one in my z28 that ***** would go sideways when it hit 2nd and 3rd

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
I guess 03 ain't such a bad year afterall when it comes to tranny Mods. To the OP, if you cheap out on parts you will get cheap results, and Ryan I love your Truck, and not to Jack here but reving at 6600 with 6.1 Springs I'm surprised something hasn't let go. One solid Hemi Ya got there. So I was thinking about upgrading my springs on the "Car" so I can adjust my new TranZformers shift kit to shift higher than 6250 and still feel safe (BTW am Running 6.1's) So if a fellow was to upgrade which is better Manley or Comp (RPM and Breaking/wise) and Titanium retainers, are they worth it?

Last edited:

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I guess 03 ain't such a bad year afterall when it comes to tranny Mods. To the OP, if you cheap out on parts you will get cheap results, and Ryan I love your Truck, and not to Jack here but reving at 6600 with 6.1 Springs I'm surprised something hasn't let go. One solid Hemi Ya got there. So I was thinking about upgrading my springs on the "Car" so I can adjust my new TranZformers shift kit to shift higher than 6250 and still feel safe (BTW am Running 6.1's) So if a fellow was to upgrade which is better Manley or Comp (RPM and Breaking/wise) and Titanium retainers, are they worth it?

the 6.1 springs can take a 6600 shift. I'm not spending allot of time at 6600rpm either. I'm also pretty sure they are rated for higher that that too if I'm not mistaken.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Yeh Thats what I thought as well until I was told by a Guru on another (LX Car) Forum that 6200 was the design, however the SRT-8 I'm sure is a 6400 Motor and Honestly my Ol Truck has hit 6400-6500 many times and like you say Not for long. I will do some research thanks.

back to the thread, I have the Transgo HD kit and because the Superchips Tuner does not effect Trans Tuning on the 03 hooked up the Line Boost resistor saving me from buying a Sonnax, also Got Torque Management Delete (TMR Delete Mod 03's Only). I also have the B&M Floorshifter COMPLETE Mod and a TCI Breakaway 2600.

My recomendations for your 05, would be Sharadon Stage 2 with sonnax and a Predator or Superchips (Only cause your an 05) however if spending all that money you will want to Cam so in preparation for that the DSP is a better choice.

Budget, would be Transgo HD Shift-Kit (Do not install the resistor) and a Sonnax Line Boost and no Tuner.

Approx 140 Bucks not counting Fluid and or filters and Mopar ATF RTV.

Danny

OP
OP
chedched

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have no want to modify the engine. I'm strictly looking for firmer shifts and better fuel economy. Any extra money goes into kids/house/guns/mustangs...

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
if that's what you want, tune it. better mpg and better shifts

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The canned diablo tunes will get rid of most of the sloppiness. Def get the sonnax too.