Anyone know what these wires are for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jRuN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Found them while swapping out the foot well led for the pod light.. 5ebf6aab970c7b81a8e64a410e3cfaf5.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Found them while swapping out the foot well led for the pod light.. 5ebf6aab970c7b81a8e64a410e3cfaf5.jpg

Looks aftermarket to me...did you buy used?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Definitely not factory. Someone had an accessory hardwired that they removed when they sold the truck, and just cut the wires rather than unwire whatever was in there.

OP
OP
J

jRuN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep! Used 2017 Sport 1500 4x4

OP
OP
J

jRuN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So here's what it's going to.. plugged into theb OBD harness.. I think it's a GPS related device?6120dda37460ca6e03e1f215955c9c4f.jpg

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
That's the Fleet/Dealer/Finance Company GPS tracking device that came up in another thread. Big brother's watching...

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So here's what it's going to.. plugged into theb OBD harness.. I think it's a GPS related device?6120dda37460ca6e03e1f215955c9c4f.jpg

Oops, this lost power...

OP
OP
J

jRuN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So what I'm hearing is.... Unplug this thing?? Haha

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

I'm sure you signed something that says you agree to have it.

*I wouldn't unplug it*[emoji6]

dc73pdsgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L e-torque
if you financed your truck its probably used in case you were to default on the loan and they could repo it. its a gps tracker. the other thing is it could've been by the previous owner as a way to keep track of his fleet of vehicles if it was from a business that had multiple vehicles. don't know about unplugging it as it may be in your contract that it has to stay installed. read the contract over.

Oilbrnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I discovered one in my PW over a year after I bought it (new). I promptly removed.

Didn't think about the finance company, I figured it was for dealer lot theft. I've heard nothing from the finance company so...

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l

Dealers install these things now as an added sell feature.

Even if you buy new (like me). I had one plugged in, exact same thing.

They sell it with a kahu app which you download, and it comes with it's own insurance. Because it can track the vehicle, and you can report it from the app.

I unplugged the damn thing, and removed it completely. I didnt sign **** saying I had to have it (yes, I checked my paperwork). So they can stuff it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tydog96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L eTorque
Unless it was part of a signed financial agreement that you can't disconnect it, it just needs to go. If you didn't finance, it just needs to go. Though curious, I'd find a manual on it and find out what all that extra white and green wire is for. Again manual=any chance of it disabling the vehicle if removed (AKA stolen feature).

On fleet tracking, they can lock doors and disable starter for various reasons (Stolen unit, driver reasons, etc.).

OP
OP
J

jRuN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I pulled it out immediately after seeing it was a GPS device.. no issues since. Truck was used when I got it..

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Unless it was part of a signed financial agreement that you can't disconnect it, it just needs to go. If you didn't finance, it just needs to go. Though curious, I'd find a manual on it and find out what all that extra white and green wire is for. Again manual=any chance of it disabling the vehicle if removed (AKA stolen feature).

On fleet tracking, they can lock doors and disable starter for various reasons (Stolen unit, driver reasons, etc.).

The additional wires are for the starter, and a relay, just like you said. But they are not connected. Unless you are buying from a shady "no credit, no problem" type of place. Dealers just install them as a selling point (They pre install on vehicles, and play it off as a "standard" dealer installed option).

I have the exact same thing sitting in my office at work. you know, just in case the wife is tracking me hahahaha. But those wires werent connected. these things have their own wiring harness which plugs to the back of the OBDII port