Anyone run a sonnax line booster and Transgo shift kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi y’all,
Just wondering if anyone has run both a sonnax line booster and a transgo shift kit? I have the 545rfe. Does this even make sense to run together? Would this have any negative effects on the truck/Trans?
Thanks for any feedback.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So the transgo is a gasket and not the plate? If it is just the gasket shift kit, seams like imo this would make sense from the guys I hear running it. I think there is like two directions for rfe, go medium or go big, either is a smart move imo. Going big would be plate, rebuild kit, and trans tune. Going medium would be just what you are thinking about doing. If you don't boost line pressure even a little which is what that does, seams like a little bit of a waste.

OP
OP
Lyle Longboat

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The transgo shift kit it is the full drop trans and install on bench. Going big is what I have in mind. I didn’t purchase the sonnax line booster yet, should I go ahead and buy this for install too?

OP
OP
Lyle Longboat

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Forgot to mention, shop said they would install the shift kit/line booster as they installing new converter. Said it wouldn’t cost me much as they would be dropping the trans to install converter.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So I wasn't talking about the labor, but the difference is a plate or a gasket, as in the plate can handle well over an additional 100psi, they are like over 400 bucks just by themselves and compliment any rebuilt kit. The main goal of any valve body kit s to stop leaks and/or warping. You can imagine the difference between a steel plate and a gasket. When you torque the plate down, the valve body just simply is not going to leak, but with a gasket it is just about what psi would it take to make it leak over long term use. I'm not sure about the numbers, but it sounds like maybe you should research it before you drop the VB. With the extra psi a plate gives you, the theory is it will make the transmission last much longer, especially the 545 which is pretty weak in comparison to the 6 speed. Those long 3 and 4 gears that are prone to low rpm shudder, can be tuned away to shift better along with high psi. That is the going big I was discusion.

Search DNJ Billet Valve Body Channel Plate and read the paper out there. You can in now way get the same performance from an inexpensive transgo kit. 400 dollar is just the plate, you can still use all of the other parts of the kit.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The plate stops warping to a high degree, the gasket is just a bandaid if there is some warping.... Here's some of the paper..

With the new billet channel plate, the end user is able to use OE hardware. They can also choose whether they want to use a bonded separator plate or a good used OE one. Extensive testing has been done to this plate to ensure no warpage. For an understanding of the durability, the strength of the plate was tested. The stock plate was put on a press that has a pressure gauge. With the edges supported just like factory, a 1.000-inch round bar was put in the center. At 300 lbs of pressure the stock plate warped to .168" and cracked. The same was done to the DNJ plate. At one ton it did not move. At two tons there was barely any movement. The flex was .021". At five tons it was .047". At 10 tons it finally flexed to .160" and the test was stopped. It didn’t return to zero, but it did however recover to .056".

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Mind you 300 pounds torqued to a valve body might sound good for line pressure, but it wont stop the VB from warping and leaking. Which is why they leak in the first place, that is oe spec. The upgraded plate most certainly will with the stats above. It takes a problem common to rfe's and simply eliminates it.

300 pounds killed the oe, the dj plate wasn't touched even at 4,000 pounds. Valve body leaking will never be a concern for people who install the plate. At least not at the plate surface, You still have the pistons and other dohickys accumulator plate and stuff.

Since its early production in 1999, the RFE platform has been plagued with many issues. Some of the biggest problems have been premature clutch failure and valvebody wear. The premature clutch failure can be isolated to hydraulic cross leaks and warped valve bodies. Approximately 80-90% of those cross leaks have been found in the OE channel plate casting. So literally those other leak points account for a very small part of VB failures that lead to losing OD clutches first. The plate buttons up that VB good, a gasket is good but many VB's will leak with those overtime that would have never leaked with the plate.

Last edited:

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would not recommend the line pressure booster. Mine would cause an occasional 'low line pressure' code on WOT. When I purchased the channel plate from DNJ that Burla is talking about they told me to toss the booster.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Hi y’all,
Just wondering if anyone has run both a sonnax line booster and a transgo shift kit? I have the 545rfe. Does this even make sense to run together? Would this have any negative effects on the truck/Trans?
Thanks for any feedback.

There was a person on ram (forumz) that did this to his 545RFE and had nothing but issues with it, TCM reporting low line pressure, and then the 2-3 shift being so hard that the person thought the trans fell from the vehicle.

Like burla said, you need to build up the VB. The stock VB is simply weak, not designed well, and only really is okay for use if you’re not towing and not using a truck for a trucks desired purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Lyle Longboat

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just wanted to check if this is the plate you speaking of in this transgo shift kit? This is the kit I purchased.
DCC5EF01-5A37-4D7F-82CD-3C9BF529E022.jpeg
B68F07F0-7274-40C9-BEED-BF81599CCEAD.jpeg

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Just wanted to check if this is the plate you speaking of in this transgo shift kit? This is the kit I purchased.
View attachment 230896
View attachment 230898

No, that will help you out majorly as it’ll prevent your accumulators from exploding out the side of the Valve Body but the gasket plate that Burla is talking about goes between the 2 halves of your valve body and acts as a strong seal essentially. The factory RFE valve bodies just have a steel plate, no gasket, and this is where some of the leaks come from.

Think of the vb gasket in a GM 4L60E, that’s what the RFE lacks, and what you need to add including a better VB to make your RFE close to if not as reliable as a 8HP. Although, i’d suggest a Sonnax oversized OD Clutch drum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
https://www.dnjcomponents.com/collections/frontpage

This is the plate. I went with their upgraded valve body and solenoid pack at the same time so it was a straight swap (I was suspecting my stock valve body was having issues which is why). Along with their billet filter thread. They have some Transgo gear on their site as well so maybe hit them up and see what they recommend.

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks as well. I assume this will work on the 65rfe too? Was planning on purchasing sonnax's VB but maybe this is a better deal. For those that have done this how did you perform the quick learn after install? Im hoping to use alpha obd but not yet 100% on that.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Which trans is that VB and oil filter for? Interested in doing same on my 65rfe.

RFE filter option thread. any rfe all you need is the metal thread upgrade, i recommend the hex threaded one they fit tighter. You can use old filter or any filter to knock the paint of the synthetic filter you are installing, like pictured by smoothee. Hold on to other filter then knock off the paint with whatever. ebay seams to be best source of screws. round billet ones are loose, these are tight.

s-l1600.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks as well. I assume this will work on the 65rfe too? Was planning on purchasing sonnax's VB but maybe this is a better deal. For those that have done this how did you perform the quick learn after install? Im hoping to use alpha obd but not yet 100% on that.

You can use this with a upgraded VB, it still makes sense to have all of the other VB upgrades, this is just a main upgraded that I don't know if anyone is doing in their VB's, I'm not sure this plate is as good as others, maybe yes maybe no.