Anyone try Modifystreet headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
09-12 Ram Owners what fuse are you tapping into for the DRL Harness? The directions in the AlphaRex site say to tap into fuse F66 but my 2012 Ram 1500 doesn’t have ANY fuses that start with a F, let alone go to #66 anywhere. I’m guessing the directions are for 4th Gen B Rams (13-18) because the picture of the open fuse box doesn’t match my trucks.

I installed the Morimoto HD Relay Harness and my HID kit works when the truck is off (sometimes) but as soon as I start it, the hid’s shut off. So far I’ve tried the following:

- H7 HID Kit + Stand-Alone Canbus Adapters
- H7 HID Kit + HD Relay Harness
- H7 HID Kit + Relay Harness + Canbus Adapters

The Canbus Adapters by themselves work like 75% of the time, when they didn’t work one light would be out and sometimes two lights.

The HD Relay Harness the lights work when the truck is off, but when I start the truck the hid kit shuts off.

When I tried the harness plus the Adapters it didn’t work at all.

Now I’ve used the Canbus Adapters before for my retrofit with MLED projectors and I also used them in the past when I had my retrofit oem projectors, so I have no idea what’s going on right now. I know they can’t be bad because both sides are having issues and they were brand new so it’s not faulty Canbus Adapters.

The relay harness was a complete failure as well.

What I don’t understand is if you order the Morimoto HID kit from Retroshop, it ships with the Morimoto standalone canbus adapters (I ordered my first hid kit from there and that’s what I got and it worked). But that was the XB35 1.0 ballasts and now I have the XB35 2.0 ballasts so maybe there is a change?

I’m just beat and defeated... I’ve sold many hid kits to 09-12 owners and sent the standalone canbus adapters and never had a complaint, I have no clue what’s going on with my truck but it just flat out refuses to run hid kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
09-12 Ram Owners what fuse are you tapping into for the DRL Harness? The directions in the AlphaRex site say to tap into fuse F66 but my 2012 Ram 1500 doesn’t have ANY fuses that start with a F, let alone go to #66 anywhere. I’m guessing the directions are for 4th Gen B Rams (13-18) because the picture of the open fuse box doesn’t match my trucks.

I installed the Morimoto HD Relay Harness and my HID kit works when the truck is off (sometimes) but as soon as I start it, the hid’s shut off. So far I’ve tried the following:

- H7 HID Kit + Stand-Alone Canbus Adapters
- H7 HID Kit + HD Relay Harness
- H7 HID Kit + Relay Harness + Canbus Adapters

The Canbus Adapters by themselves work like 75% of the time, when they didn’t work one light would be out and sometimes two lights.

The HD Relay Harness the lights work when the truck is off, but when I start the truck the hid kit shuts off.

When I tried the harness plus the Adapters it didn’t work at all.

Now I’ve used the Canbus Adapters before for my retrofit with MLED projectors and I also used them in the past when I had my retrofit oem projectors, so I have no idea what’s going on right now. I know they can’t be bad because both sides are having issues and they were brand new so it’s not faulty Canbus Adapters.

The relay harness was a complete failure as well.

What I don’t understand is if you order the Morimoto HID kit from Retroshop, it ships with the Morimoto standalone canbus adapters (I ordered my first hid kit from there and that’s what I got and it worked). But that was the XB35 1.0 ballasts and now I have the XB35 2.0 ballasts so maybe there is a change?

I’m just beat and defeated... I’ve sold many hid kits to 09-12 owners and sent the standalone canbus adapters and never had a complaint, I have no clue what’s going on with my truck but it just flat out refuses to run hid kits.

M7 is for the rear accessory power outlet. You can also use M8 or 9 IF you don’t have heated steering wheel and seats.

Have you tried firing the kit straight up off the truck’s wiring without all the relays harnesses and adapters? If the low beam circuit can’t fire them, then wire in some regular $8 30/40 amp 4 pin relays. The Morimoto relay harness is probably the most unreliable harness I’ve ever heard of. The “canbus” adapters *should* be unnecessary on a 2012. The kit fires up fine with a separate battery on the the bench?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
M7 is for the rear accessory power outlet. You can also use M8 or 9 IF you don’t have heated steering wheel and seats.

Have you tried firing the kit straight up off the truck’s wiring without all the relays harnesses and adapters? If the low beam circuit can’t fire them, then wire in some regular $8 30/40 amp 4 pin relays. The Morimoto relay harness is probably the most unreliable harness I’ve ever heard of. The “canbus” adapters *should* be unnecessary on a 2012. The kit fires up fine with a separate battery on the the bench?
This, use relays that get signal from the stock wiring to turn on the HIDs.

You may have already answered this but did you try AlfaOBD to turn on the HID setting? I just did this on my father-in-law's truck and it stopped the LEDs from flickering...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

I have no tried to just run the kit without any relays or canbus adapters.

As for bench testing I have a power inverter on my workbench for building retrofits so I can try firing it up there and seeing what happens. Didn’t think of this since it was already on my truck.

Im at the point where in about to rip out this Morimoto HID kit and send it back, I’ve heard slot of people use the DDM Tuning HID kits and never have any issues so I might order one of them.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This, use relays that get signal from the stock wiring to turn on the HIDs.

You may have already answered this but did you try AlfaOBD to turn on the HID setting? I just did this on my father-in-law's truck and it stopped the LEDs from flickering...

I don’t have AlphaOBD, I just found out about it like 3-4 weeks ago and I’ve been meaning to order it... maybe it’s time to order it now.

When you did the hid setting in the AlphaOBD, was your father in laws truck a 09-12 or 13+??

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I have no tried to just run the kit without any relays or canbus adapters.

As for bench testing I have a power inverter on my workbench for building retrofits so I can try firing it up there and seeing what happens. Didn’t think of this since it was already on my truck.

Im at the point where in about to rip out this Morimoto HID kit and send it back, I’ve heard slot of people use the DDM Tuning HID kits and never have any issues so I might order one of them.

I used the 35w ddm kit on a 2015 and was happy with it and had no issues.

I will say I'm very happy with the katana led's which appear to be the same as the supernova v4's.

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I don’t have AlphaOBD, I just found out about it like 3-4 weeks ago and I’ve been meaning to order it... maybe it’s time to order it now.

When you did the hid setting in the AlphaOBD, was your father in laws truck a 09-12 or 13+??

His was a 2012 and mine is a 2014. I did it to both of ours, slightly different but AlfaOBD can set HID for both years.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
His was a 2012 and mine is a 2014. I did it to both of ours, slightly different but AlfaOBD can set HID for both years.

Ok so after you set it with alphaobd, did you just need the ballasts, igniters and bulbs? No harness or any adapters?

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I used the 35w ddm kit on a 2015 and was happy with it and had no issues.

I will say I'm very happy with the katana led's which appear to be the same as the supernova v4's.

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

Which 35w kit from DDM I know they have a couple, including a Ultra Canbus. I just wanna make sure I’m ordering the right one.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ok so after you set it with alphaobd, did you just need the ballasts, igniters and bulbs? No harness or any adapters?

I didn't actually install HIDs. I installed LEDs which were flickering after install on his 2012. Setting the configuration to HID on our trucks turns off PWM (which was causing the flickering).

I'm told that PWM (Pulse Width Modulation?) is the cause for HIDs to malfunction when it is on. The HIDs work when the truck is not running because PWM comes on with the engine.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Which 35w kit from DDM I know they have a couple, including a Ultra Canbus. I just wanna make sure I’m ordering the right one.

Whatever the $89 one was

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I didn't actually install HIDs. I installed LEDs which were flickering after install on his 2012. Setting the configuration to HID on our trucks turns off PWM (which was causing the flickering).

I'm told that PWM (Pulse Width Modulation?) is the cause for HIDs to malfunction when it is on. The HIDs work when the truck is not running because PWM comes on with the engine.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

Yea the PWM does turn on once the engine turns on, I do know that much. I also know these Rams HID kits and LED kits will work when the truck is off but won’t work when it’s on, I know that’s a common issue.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just ordered the MX OBD Bluetooth device, and I’m going to buy AlphaOBD once it gets here. Ironically I ordered a Fire Hd 8” tablet in prime day specifically to put into my truck as well as a cd slot mount so the tablet covers the front of the radio, I planned to use it as a GPS, Apple Music, radio alternative and I’m super excited because now I can use AlphaOBD with the tablet.

3bef60a182379a5f04a02177ad2e4b90.jpg

MX OBD adapter will be delivered today.

I’m ripping out my entire hid kit right now, putting halogen bulbs back in. Tomorrow I’ll have time to put the hid kit back in, and I’ll use just the bulbs and ballasts after I set the HID to yes in alpha OBD. I need my lights working or else I’d leave everything hooked up to my truck until tomorrow.

I hope I don’t have bad ballasts or bad igniters. This Morimoto hid kit is nothing but issues and headaches since the moment I installed it. If the alpha OBD doesn’t fix the issue I’m returning the entire kit and ordering DDM or Headlight Revolution.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Just ordered the MX OBD Bluetooth device, and I’m going to buy AlphaOBD once it gets here. Ironically I ordered a Fire Hd 8” tablet in prime day specifically to put into my truck as well as a cd slot mount so the tablet covers the front of the radio, I planned to use it as a GPS, Apple Music, radio alternative and I’m super excited because now I can use AlphaOBD with the tablet.

3bef60a182379a5f04a02177ad2e4b90.jpg

MX OBD adapter will be delivered today.

I’m ripping out my entire hid kit right now, putting halogen bulbs back in. Tomorrow I’ll have time to put the hid kit back in, and I’ll use just the bulbs and ballasts after I set the HID to yes in alpha OBD. I need my lights working or else I’d leave everything hooked up to my truck until tomorrow.

I hope I don’t have bad ballasts or bad igniters. This Morimoto hid kit is nothing but issues and headaches since the moment I installed it. If the alpha OBD doesn’t fix the issue I’m returning the entire kit and ordering DDM or Headlight Revolution.

When you get the mx, download the app that comes with it and update the mx

Then in alphaobd

Start by selecting

Dodge/Ram
Body Computer
Central Gateway Module
Connect
Battery icon
Read system id
Tools icon top right
Upload to Google drive
Upload faults and status log
BODY_CHRYSLER_INFO
Bottom right Car with hood open
Select procedure to start
Car configuration
Reconfigurable parameters hid enable
Select value >>set
Start

eff570d225d28db94e0d3813f0e1e28c.jpg

eda89e1e793b5e36f0d8d11c874ab152.jpg

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you haven't already, there are instructions on the internet on how to install the Google Play Store on your FireHD tablet. That way your not stuck with the Amazon app store. I actually just did this on a 7" Fire tablet (Generation 9).

https://www.lifewire.com/install-google-play-kindle-fire-4570988

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When you get the mx, download the app that comes with it and update the mx

Then in alphaobd

Start by selecting

Dodge/Ram
Body Computer
Central Gateway Module
Connect
Battery icon
Read system id
Tools icon top right
Upload to Google drive
Upload faults and status log
BODY_CHRYSLER_INFO
Bottom right Car with hood open
Select procedure to start
Car configuration
Reconfigurable parameters hid enable
Select value >>set
Start

eff570d225d28db94e0d3813f0e1e28c.jpg

eda89e1e793b5e36f0d8d11c874ab152.jpg

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

Wow thank you for the step by step instructions on getting it setup!

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you haven't already, there are instructions on the internet on how to install the Google Play Store on your FireHD tablet. That way your not stuck with the Amazon app store. I actually just did this on a 7" Fire tablet (Generation 9).

https://www.lifewire.com/install-google-play-kindle-fire-4570988

Thanks! I’ve added the google play store to quite a few “unofficial” android devices in the past few years. I actually work debugging apps when I’m not building headlights lol.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Lmao ironically I took out the Relay Harness and the Canbus Adapters and now it’s just the ballasts and bulbs running straight off the stock wiring and everything works. Bulbs fire up both when the truck is running and when it’s off. I’m still going to turn on the HID with AlphaOBD just Incase it decides to have issues down the road but for now it appears all is good.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Lmao ironically I took out the Relay Harness and the Canbus Adapters and now it’s just the ballasts and bulbs running straight off the stock wiring and everything works. Bulbs fire up both when the truck is running and when it’s off. I’m still going to turn on the HID with AlphaOBD just Incase it decides to have issues down the road but for now it appears all is good.
Definitely do that as the PWM can prematurely wear out the HIDs.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Definitely do that as the PWM can prematurely wear out the HIDs.

Yea well they stopped working about 1 minute into driving. It’s cool though because my MX OBD Bluetooth device will be here in like 10 minutes, i was lucky enough that when I ordered it this morning it was same day delivery.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357