Anyone try Modifystreet headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Well, my wife (who thinks I’m crazy for Messi g with my lights so much) got called in to work, so I went out and fixed it. I marked the gap for the tab with a sharpie and just trimmed around it with a pair of *****. Here are some before and after pics (excuse the dirty door, I need to break out the pressure washer).

before
View attachment 193325

After
View attachment 193327

These are the photos of what was trimmed.
Tab marked
View attachment 193328

Trimmed and reinstalled
View attachment 193329

All that being done, I think I’m going to order either just some 55w ballasts, or a 55w 6000k kit. They are a better color and project better than the LED, but I feel they could be brighter. My 5500k 35w Morimoto kit in the TYC projectors was brighter.
Looks good! I'll be interested to see what you think of the 6000k 55w kit in comparison.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks good! I'll be interested to see what you think of the 6000k 55w kit in comparison.

I’m still up in the air honestly.
I’m thinking now I might go with 45w hylux ballasts and 5500k Morimoto bulbs. Those were the best light I’ve had in a vehicle from the TYC till the Morimoto ballast went out. Or I might just buy one hylux 35w to go with the other one I have and see how they work with my current bulbs.

whichever way I go, I’ll post pics for sure

Last edited:

Thunder240

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Woah, thanks for sharing that! I will be careful.

Honestly, I don’t feel terribly comfortable doing this work myself, but you gave me an idea. When I had my stereo system installed, the shop I used was actually an audio and lighting specialty shop. They did a great job on my stereo, much better quality install than other installers I’ve used in the past (and I know a heck of a lot more about car audio than aspects of auto work). Their rates are higher than the body shop, and it’ll be less convenient than having the body work I need done and the headlights installed at the same time, but you’ve made it clear that it’s worth it. I’ll call them and discuss. Maybe they’ll even let me watch and get edumicated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here’s some photos with HIDs. I ended up getting this Innovited kit off amazon- https://www.amazon.com/Innovited-Xenon-Lights-Colors-Ballast/dp/B07NCQFKQ8/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?keywords=innovited+h7&qid=1553865879&s=gateway&sr=8-9&th=1&psc=1

It was easier just getting this kit, otherwise I would have had to get 9012 to h7 harness adapters for my other ballasts. These are 35w and 5000k. I don’t have any long straight dark stretches of road around me, but these will give you a good idea. The step downs are perfectly centered perpendicular to the truck, and the width is good from center to center. The passenger headlight seems to trail off a little bit downhill from left to right.

ceP6IqN.jpg
I think there’s something off with the kit I got. I got the same kit (35w 5000k) and it is much more yellow than yours and doesn’t appear to be nearly as bright. Certainly a dingy yellowish green compared to the morimoto 5500k 35w kit I had in the TYC.
1C92B279-BC98-49DF-82EB-83DEEC0B3E22.jpeg

I pulled the HID and put the Katana in the lows and Hikari in the highs. I’ll see how they look tomorrow morning then figure out what I want to do. I doubt I can return the Innovited kit since I cut a new tab in the mounting flange.

UgB4e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well damnit guys I thought the parking light out error was gone....but its not....the error only comes up now when I use my left turn signal. Never does it with the right turn signal. I've verified everything with the voltages is the same across the alfaobd and it is so i am stumped!

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Does it always give you an error or just either if it's being used for longer than like 10 seconds or after a couple of uses?

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I think there’s something off with the kit I got. I got the same kit (35w 5000k) and it is much more yellow than yours and doesn’t appear to be nearly as bright. Certainly a dingy yellowish green compared to the morimoto 5500k 35w kit I had in the TYC.
View attachment 193521

I pulled the HID and put the Katana in the lows and Hikari in the highs. I’ll see how they look tomorrow morning then figure out what I want to do. I doubt I can return the Innovited kit since I cut a new tab in the mounting flange.
I'm sure you could sell them on here since it's a recommended option for many.

I'd offer to trade you for my unmodified ones, but shipping would probably make that more complicated for the same cost...

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm sure you could sell them on here since it's a recommended option for many.

I'd offer to trade you for my unmodified ones, but shipping would probably make that more complicated for the same cost...

I think I'm going to stick with the way it is for now (Katana in low, Hikari in high). At some point in the future, I will probably go with Morimoto 5500k bulbs and Hylux 45w ballasts, but I've spent enough for the time being.

I did plug in the one Hylux 35w ballast I have still and compared it to the innovited. There was a little bit of a difference, but not enough to make me want to spend $45 on another hylux ballast. I think I either got mis-packaged bulbs, or my expectations were just off. Looking at them head on, they weren't much whiter than the halogen silverstar ultras I put in my TYC housings, and the projection on the road was rather warm with a slight green hue. Just not a good look.

JoeGo88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
I’m not familiar with headlights really but this came with the 55w ballasts do these have to be put in? I have the headlights in with the bulbs that came in the headlights. I ordered the set with 6000k HID kit and it came with 2 separate light bulbs. Do I need to put the ballasts in and replace the ones in the headlights with these separate bulbs? And would they have to go through the ballasts?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I think I'm going to stick with the way it is for now (Katana in low, Hikari in high). At some point in the future, I will probably go with Morimoto 5500k bulbs and Hylux 45w ballasts, but I've spent enough for the time being.

I did plug in the one Hylux 35w ballast I have still and compared it to the innovited. There was a little bit of a difference, but not enough to make me want to spend $45 on another hylux ballast. I think I either got mis-packaged bulbs, or my expectations were just off. Looking at them head on, they weren't much whiter than the halogen silverstar ultras I put in my TYC housings, and the projection on the road was rather warm with a slight green hue. Just not a good look.
You might be surprised at what they will accept as a return... doesn't hurt to try?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I’m not familiar with headlights really but this came with the 55w ballasts do these have to be put in? I have the headlights in with the bulbs that came in the headlights. I ordered the set with 6000k HID kit and it came with 2 separate light bulbs. Do I need to put the ballasts in and replace the ones in the headlights with these separate bulbs? And would they have to go through the ballasts?

Yes, you replace the halogen bulbs with the HID bulbs which will require the ballast to be tucked away somewhere.

I haven't seen the set that comes from the seller so I'm not sure if if will fit inside the housing or is safe to put in the housing if it fits.

Be sure not to touch the glass of the HID bulbs when installing. The oil from your fingers can create hotspots when the bulbs are on.

JoeGo88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
Is there any other types of bulbs I can put in that would be brighter but not require putting those ballasts in?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Is there any other types of bulbs I can put in that would be brighter but not require putting those ballasts in?

Can you post a picture of the ballast in question?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins

A very easy swap and just as good of option as hid is either the Hikari ultra led's or katana led's

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I won’t be able to until tomorrow. I will tomorrow morning though.

A very easy swap and just as good of option as hid is either the Hikari ultra led's or katana led's

This...but note that LEDs will often also have a smaller ballast like box (drivers) that must be used too.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I decided to have my paint guy do more work on my grille so since I have it apart I figured I might as well pull the g2's and put in the bulb upgrade and align them correctly. I read the Ultra Leds need a adapter? Just need to know what to order. Or is Katana better? Neither are that expensive so don't care about price just which is better

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I decided to have my paint guy do more work on my grille so since I have it apart I figured I might as well pull the g2's and put in the bulb upgrade and align them correctly. I read the Ultra Leds need a adapter? Just need to know what to order. Or is Katana better? Neither are that expensive so don't care about price just which is better

Neither need an adapter. I thought the katanas were brighter than the Hikaris

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Neither need an adapter. I thought the katanas were brighter than the Hikaris

I have both as well, and while I won’t say the katanas are brighter necessarily, they project better for me. The hikari kind of faded out in the distance, and the katana I can see the cutoff from the projectors.

to make it better, the katanas are 1/2 price of the Hikari.
The only issue I have with the katana in the low beam is with the tab on the mounting base lined up in the slot on the projector, the alignment ball on the bulb sits between the holes in the base with the bulb in the proper orientation. If the mounting base sat with the tab vertical like it does on the high beam projectors, it would be fine. The fit is still tight, so I don’t think it will pose any long term issues, but it’s not necessarily “locked in” to the mounting base. It’s kind of like putting a socket on a ratchet with the ball on the ratchet not lined up with the hole on the socket. It fits, it’s somewhat secure, but a good jolt and it might pop out.