Anyway to boost amperage on USB?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Swallow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I want the ability to use Android Audio/CarPlay while also charging my phone quickly. When plugged into the stereo, charging speed is almost negligible. Charger plugged into cigarette lighter charges fast but no option for connection to stereo. Gen4 2019 Classic Express with front bench.

Is there a way to increase the amperage/charging speed and maintain stereo connection? Bluetooth not an option.

thanks!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
unfortunately not if you want maintain USB connection the radio and that port is powered by the radio itself.
It might be possible to use a USB port multiplier/hub but the phone may not work for Android Auto/Car Play. There are externally powered multiplier/hubs available that have higher charging current.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I want the ability to use Android Audio/CarPlay while also charging my phone quickly. When plugged into the stereo, charging speed is almost negligible. Charger plugged into cigarette lighter charges fast but no option for connection to stereo. Gen4 2019 Classic Express with front bench.

Is there a way to increase the amperage/charging speed and maintain stereo connection? Bluetooth not an option.

thanks!
Have you tried alternate cables? Mine charges fairly quickly through that port.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mike Swallow

Mike Swallow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Have you tried alternate cables? Mine charges fairly quickly through that port.

I've tried 20 or so cables on new and old phones and tablets. The charge will go up 1% in half and hour.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I've tried 20 or so cables on new and old phones and tablets. The charge will go up 1% in half and hour.
Yikes, that's pretty bad. I've been driving for 5 minutes and it's gone from 70 to 79% and says 19 minutes to full.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike Swallow

Mike Swallow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
unfortunately not if you want maintain USB connection the radio and that port is powered by the radio itself.
It might be possible to use a USB port multiplier/hub but the phone may not work for Android Auto/Car Play. There are externally powered multiplier/hubs available that have higher charging current.
Hmm... a hub usually requires a connection to a computer if its going to pass data... i wonder if anyone has made this work.

OP
OP
Mike Swallow

Mike Swallow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Been doing some reading... looks like the y adapters don’t work. Powered USB hubs can work if you get the right one plus a 12 volt power adapter but they may get hot and burn out. The option I chose is Qi wireless power for charging while also using the trucks port for just data.

Edit: This failed. When wireless and wired charving are both used at the same time, it always switches to wired power.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Been doing some reading... looks like the y adapters don’t work. Powered USB hubs can work if you get the right one plus a 12 volt power adapter but they may get hot and burn out. The option I chose is Qi wireless power for charging while also using the trucks port for just data.
I wonder if a USB wireless Android Auto adapter could work in a situation like this? I don't know if anyone has tried something like that but it could be worth a try...